Laptops

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking to buy a laptop and I'm not really sure where to start. I basically need something for internet use, e-mail, and some recording. Just very basic recording to lay down some ideas and demos and then once I have about 10 or 12 solid songs I would take them to get professionally recorded. Any ideas on where I should start. I know Mac comes with Garageband which is pretty cool but also a lot more expensive than a PC. Macs seems to run a lot better than PC's with fewer problems too so I need some advice on which route to take. Mac or PC?? Keep in mind I won't be doing professional recording at home but I want to do some recording to get ideas for songs. Let the musicians do their job and the engineers and producers do their job.

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would go Mac, but then again, I'm writing that on my Dell PC.

Don't worry so much about processor size/speed. A good motherboard would be nice (at least an 800 MHz Front-side buss). A lot of RAM; 1 GB on Mac or 2 GB on PC, minimum. I would personally say get a decent-size hard drive but not huge, and then get an external hard drive for the music stuff.

Mac's, in my opinion, are a much better computer, but for the same price as a Mac laptop, you could get a similar PC with a DigiDesign MBox and a couple decent mics. It's a tough choice, but you'll be fine either way.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I would go Mac, but then again, I'm writing that on my Dell PC.

Don't worry so much about processor size/speed. A good motherboard would be nice (at least an 800 MHz Front-side buss). A lot of RAM; 1 GB on Mac or 2 GB on PC, minimum. I would personally say get a decent-size hard drive but not huge, and then get an external hard drive for the music stuff.

Mac's, in my opinion, are a much better computer, but for the same price as a Mac laptop, you could get a similar PC with a DigiDesign MBox and a couple decent mics. It's a tough choice, but you'll be fine either way.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I would go Mac, but then again, I'm writing that on my Dell PC.