Got 2 Band Requests

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I got 2 band requests to try out for their band in the last 2 days. One of the bands was the old band that I was in that I left because it wasn't was I was looking for and the second band is a rock band that writes their own material. It really brings up your confidence as a guitar player when you have people calling you, especially after I wrote and recorded a song a week ago. I know a couple members of these bands have heard my song because it is on facebook, so maybe they liked what they heard and thought, not bad, let's give him a shot. I just wanted to let everyone know because it is a good confidence booster and I want to thank everyone here for their help and taking the time to listen to my track.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    my advice would be to go for the original band - it will allow you much more opportunity
    to be creative and find your own sound (plus we know my feelings about cover bands).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    What's wrong with cover bands?

J10. Congrats on your new choices. I would say to take things in a new direction.
  • Aww, look at Jam10...growing up before our eyes. I agree with Ian-there's always a time for cover bands but, I think you've graduated to originals. You're good and confident enough.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    my advice would be to go for the original band - it will allow you much more opportunity
    to be creative and find your own sound (plus we know my feelings about cover bands).
    I agree with you Ian. I am going to try out for the rock band that writes their own material. I'm very anxious to start writing and given the opportunity to be creative. These guys are really good though. The lead guitar player who happens to be the singer as well as had this band formed for about 18 years. Himself and the drummer are the only 2 original guys in it. With that much experience you know they will be miles ahead of me. They know I've only been playing for about 2 years so what can they accept. As long as I go in with a good attitude and work hard, I think I'll fit in. Besides, I left the first band that I was in for a reason, so why would I go back now when I have this opportunity!

Thanks!
  • For a busy schedule, cover bands are the way to go. If you can't commit a certain amount of time...ya might wanna think differently.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    The originals project sounds like the thing to me.
    Covers bands may be busy, but inevitably, you will wind up playing a bunch of stuff you don't like.
    You have made it to writing originals and being offered a place in an originals band in just 2 years. You would be holding yourself back in a covers band , I think, but more importantly, it did not work out for you last time with those guys. History tends to repeat itself.

I have nothing against cover bands though, they sure have their place.
    Interesting to see that Mike McCready is now in a tribute band. Just goes to show, they are not just for wannabe's, unless Mike qualifies as a Hendrix wannabee.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Interesting to see that Mike McCready is now in a tribute band. Just goes to show, they are not just for wannabe's, unless Mike qualifies as a Hendrix wannabee.
    Yup, he sure does . . .
    Mike McCready is a Stevie Ray Vaughan wannabe (he's said so), & everyone knows that SRV was a true Hendrix
    wannabe - Therefore that makes Mike McCready a Hendrix wannabe ;) Make sense? Clearing this up, this means
    that all the Mike McCready wannabe's are tantamount to being Hendrix wannabe's (it's cyclical & all ties together).
    Guy A wants to be guy B, guy B wants to be C, guy C wants to be D. Therefore guy A wants to be guy D - :p
    Accordingly, if you want to (wanna) play like Mike McCready, work on playing like Jimi Hendrix and you'll get there.
    Personally I'd rather sound like myself and not anyone else, and I think as far as my original music is concerned I've
    done a decent job of it. Now in my studio gigs, I play how they pay me to (if they want Hendrix they get Hendrix).

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • but arent we all in a way hendrix wannabes
  • fleahorse wrote:
    but arent we all in a way hendrix wannabes
    What he said.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    We want to take just the positives from Hendrix, ie, not OD!

Do what makes you happy, original music or cover stuff, it doesn't really matter so long as you enjoy it. Aspire to be you in that you will need to figure out for yourself what makes you happy.
  • ccpa wrote:
    We want to take just the positives from Hendrix, ie, not OD!

Do what makes you happy, original music or cover stuff, it doesn't really matter so long as you enjoy it. Aspire to be you in that you will need to figure out for yourself what makes you happy.
    Way to just give the best advice possible!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Yup, he sure does . . .
    Mike McCready is a Stevie Ray Vaughan wannabe (he's said so), & everyone knows that SRV was a true Hendrix
    wannabe - Therefore that makes Mike McCready a Hendrix wannabe ;) Make sense? Clearing this up, this means
    that all the Mike McCready wannabe's are tantamount to being Hendrix wannabe's (it's cyclical & all ties together).
    Guy A wants to be guy B, guy B wants to be C, guy C wants to be D. Therefore guy A wants to be guy D - :p
    Accordingly, if you want to (wanna) play like Mike McCready, work on playing like Jimi Hendrix and you'll get there.
    Personally I'd rather sound like myself and not anyone else, and I think as far as my original music is concerned I've
    done a decent job of it. Now in my studio gigs, I play how they pay me to (if they want Hendrix they get Hendrix).

- Ian

Ah yes, the transitive property of guitar heroics. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I've never played a cover version onstage in my life, but the covers bands make a lot more money than I do ...
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    personaly, I've never been interested in playing in cover bands. I just prefer making my own stuff. More exiting. IMO
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I play in a cover band, only b/c I love playing guitar, and it's the quickest way to make money with it. Having said that, I have spent the better part of the last 2 years really trying a push towards originals, with little luck. The singer, lead guitarist, and I(rhythm guit) have worked up a few tunes, so that is keeping me satisfied on that front. Should have a second band before too long.

Go with the originals band.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    depends on your goal. I'd think the originals band is the way to go unless you want to swing making some cash on it.

Ideal situation would be doing originals and maybe the covers you want to do. I used to do that. I had no interest in playing songs I didn't like but I did play covers maybe 50\50.

And mikes situation is a little different. He's playing Hendrix with old friends for love. Its not like he's out playing fuel and candlebox covers or something.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    exhausted wrote:
    depends on your goal. I'd think the originals band is the way to go unless you want to swing making some cash on it.

Ideal situation would be doing originals and maybe the covers you want to do. I used to do that. I had no interest in playing songs I didn't like but I did play covers maybe 50\50.

And mikes situation is a little different. He's playing Hendrix with old friends for love. Its not like he's out playing fuel and candlebox covers or something.

Nicely put. I think most people in tribute bands do play with friends for love. They may be profitable, but I doubt that's the main motivator for many.

Jam10, I did not wish to hijack your thread. Have you decided yet ? I know it was not really a decision between covers and originals for you anyway, more between more of the same old, and a fresh start with new guys who dug your playing.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Nicely put. I think most people in tribute bands do play with friends for love. They may be profitable, but I doubt that's the main motivator for many.

Jam10, I did not wish to hijack your thread. Have you decided yet ? I know it was not really a decision between covers and originals for you anyway, more between more of the same old, and a fresh start with new guys who dug your playing.
    Yeh, I made my decision. I'm going to sit with the singer/guitar player of this new band who does originals tonight and see how that goes. I jammed with these guys once before in the summer but it was wrong timing because they were getting ready for a gig but this time the singer/guitar player is willing to sit with me and go through all the songs and teach me what they already have and see how I adapt. I'm really excited about that because I really want to do originals. I feel that I can bring some creativness to the table.
    Also more good news. I took everybodys advice here on transcribing and playing by ear, and this new band gave me one of their songs they want me to learn and obviously there's no tab for it so I tried it by ear and I think I got it. It's just a matter of practice and doing it more often. I have to give myself more credit than I do and just do it. I think I got the chords down pat for the song they sent me, but we'll see tonight how close I got.

Thanks
    Well, I didn't make the cut for this new band. He said I wasn't experienced enough. He knew I've only been playing for just over 2 years. They started this band in 1990, so that 18 years. How can I compare myself to them. The guitar player in the band who happens to be the singer is a very good rhythm player and he wanted to see how my rhythm was and I guess it wasn't to his standards. Oh well, time to move on and continue. It's been a wild week. I've written and recorded a song, got 2 band requests to try out for and got cut from the band I tried out for tonight. One day I'll find the band I'm looking for! In the mean time I'll keep on continuing making music and practicing to become a better player. I know with time, I will become the player I want to be.