Neil Young's Tone

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
In Downtown is absolutely awesome. I love his guitar tone in that song. It sounds to me like he's using a TS 9. Does anybody know for sure?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Its doubtful. His sound is always some combination of les paul, cranked tweed deluxe amp, analog delay, octave down and spring reverb. I've not heard of him using a ts9.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    exhausted wrote:
    Its doubtful. His sound is always some combination of les paul, cranked tweed deluxe amp, analog delay, octave down and spring reverb. I've not heard of him using a ts9.
    +1

if you are just getting into him jam10, here's my favorite bookmarked uncle neil site. so much cool information.
    http://guitar.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=guitar&cdn=hobbies&tm=16&gps=47_2580_1276_629&f=20&tt=14&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Nice site thanks..
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Cool website. Thanks once again Pj gurl!
  • Two important things you need to know about Neil's tone.

1) He's got a broken firebird pickup in his guitar.
    2) He's got a custom made component called a Whizzer that actually adjusts his amp knobs w/o using his fingers.

I'm sure someone else can tell you more about those.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Neil's setup is insane and you're never going to match it.

However, I have found that a Tweed Deluxe amp is the MAJOR contributor to that Neil Young sound. I play through a victoria deluxe. I've played tele's through it and gibsons through it and it's easier to get that Neil Young tone through that amp than anything, no other amp or pedal or guitar gives me the Neil vibe like that deluxe does. It has to be cranked too.

Incase you're unfamiliar, it's a TWEED deluxe. Not a Deluxe Reverb or a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Blues Deluxe. It's a 1950s tweed deluxe ( 5E3 )and there are clones of these amps all over the internet. You can get one for about $900 give or take.

Richter, SDG vintage, Victoria and Clark all make killer copies of that amp.
  • ezyrydr wrote:
    Neil's setup is insane and you're never going to match it.

However, I have found that a Tweed Deluxe amp is the MAJOR contributor to that Neil Young sound. I play through a victoria deluxe. I've played tele's through it and gibsons through it and it's easier to get that Neil Young tone through that amp than anything, no other amp or pedal or guitar gives me the Neil vibe like that deluxe does. It has to be cranked too.

Incase you're unfamiliar, it's a TWEED deluxe. Not a Deluxe Reverb or a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Blues Deluxe. It's a 1950s tweed deluxe ( 5E3 )and there are clones of these amps all over the internet. You can get one for about $900 give or take.

Richter, SDG vintage, Victoria and Clark all make killer copies of that amp.

With 6L6's in lieu of the 6V6's. Tolerances weren't as tight back then. He has stated in past interviews that he owns at least 10 Deluxe's and one one sounds the way it does. This one just happens to have the "Sweet Spot" he digs.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    i've never liked him much outside of csny (not that i've heard a ton, but he just doesn't appeal to me all that much).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    i just saw him a couple of weeks ago and he blew my face off. his playing has not lost a thing...so intense.

His style doesnt incite arthritic attacks later in life. What a raunchy tone.

David Gilmour is another guitarist that hasn't lost a step since the glory days, and can often times surpass his old self.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    His style doesnt incite arthritic attacks later in life. What a raunchy tone.

David Gilmour is another guitarist that hasn't lost a step since the glory days, and can often times surpass his old self.
    Still two of the best guitar players on earth.