Studio Time

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm going into the studio next thursday Nov. 6 to record the song I have been working on. This is my first time recording and I am excited and nervous. Any tips??
I'll make sure to post it here when it's all mixed and completed. Wish me luck and thanks again everyone for all your advice and tips!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Practice like heck this week to make the most of your time you have in the studio.

Good luck. Don't be intimidated either. Just go in and rock it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Practice like heck this week to make the most of your time you have in the studio.

Good luck. Don't be intimidated either. Just go in and rock it.
    +1!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • practice with a metronome if available
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Be prepared. That includes practicing non stop like mad. But also go through all the gear you intend on using, make sure it's completely ready to go. No sense wasting studio time working on your gear....

Good luck, and try to remember this is suppose to be fun!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Just to reiterate what people have already said in this thread. Practice like crazy.. with a metronome/ click track. Have your tone dialed in... pedals and amp set to how you would like it to sound. I also like to bring a notebook to write a schedule of what I want to get accomplished and use it as a checklist. As well as transcribe solos or intricate parts that I can use as a guide if I'm getting hung up on something.

Also, I like to record a rough demo before I go in so my engineer can check it out and get an idea what I'm trying to do. That's not mandatory, but helps if you have a strong feeling of how the song should sound. You can use a cheap tape recorder or whatever.

And it's probably going to take longer than you had planned to accomplish whatever you're recording.:p
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks, I'm pretty excited. I have been practicing hard all week, and I will continue to, especially with a metronome. I'm trying to come up with a very melodic solo right now.
  • If you're running tubes in your amp, turn the amp on early. I prefer to have an amp running for at least a half hour, preferably an hour, before I record anything. You can turn the power on and leave it on standby, or with the volume all the way off, for about 20 minutes, and then plug in and warm up a little yourself. The engineer can use this time to listen to the tones you'll be recording, select his mics accordingly, and work on placement.

The other trick, which is hard to prepare for, is playing into headphones. You can practice playing along to stuff on headphones, but it will be a little foreign to begin with. Just be prepared for it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The other trick, which is hard to prepare for, is playing into headphones. You can practice playing along to stuff on headphones, but it will be a little foreign to begin with. Just be prepared for it.
    I agree with what everyone else has said, so not too much to add, and this is a really good point.

Try not to be too nervous, they deal with this all the time and, they will work with you to make it all come together. Wish you lots of luck and fun.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    yup---the headphones are tricky. it takes a little time to get used to them.

aside from that..

have fun. don't put too much pressure on yourself....and...um..oh yeah----PRACTICE as much as you can! :)

best of luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate it. I'll let you all know how it went after next thursday. I hope it doesn't take the engineer too long to mix.
    Well I'm not sure what you are recording... acoustic or electric, but whenever I record electric I don't use headphones. You have to have an amp that has a separate head and cabinet though. You place the cabinet in an iso room and mic it up... then you bring the head into the control room with you. That way you can dial in the sound while listening to it through the monitors. This technique will allow you to incorporate the color of the microphone chain with the sound of your amp, and will be ultimately the sound that the listener is going to hear. It will also save your ears, as you will not be in the same room as the amp when you are turning it up and changing the tone. Then you can rock out in the control room and not worry whether the good tone that you dialed in on your amp is going to be the same tone that is recorded. Headphones just don't give you that clarity that a good set of monitors do.

Oh yeah, if you're recording acoustic.. and you're using a click track through your headphones.. make sure you record some takes of you playing just the last few chords without the click track on. That way you won't hear the bleed of it through the headphones as you are holding out that last note/chord.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • All good advice above! Especially getting used to the click track.

New guitar strings the day before, learn any amp or pedal settings, practice some more.
    If the studio tech is good, then I wouldn't worry about TOO much. Let the tech give a few suggestions about sound too. That's what they do, and it's great to have a second set of ears to give suggestions.
    One thing that will happen is that you'll think you nailed your solo into the track, then listen to it through a beautiful monitoring system and that solo, when it's isolated, will show every scratch and finger squeak and pluck and thunk and you'll be saying,,,, "That's ME?" :D

If you can record yourself now and listen, try it and maybe you'll get a jump on the game.
    If you spend a little extra time and record a scratch track and listen back, you can record again after you hear the first time around.

You will walk out of that studio being a better singer and guitar player, too, after you hear yourself.

Good luck, relax and enjoy it!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Jam10 wrote:
    How crucial is it that I change my strings before going into the studio?

it depends on you. if you like the worn-in sound, then leave them alone. i usually change mine a few days before i head in so i can loosen them up but achieve a brighter tone. but, i'm not an expert like a lot of the folks on here, that's just my preference.

have fun!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Jam10 wrote:
    How crucial is it that I change my strings before going into the studio?

It really depends on a lot of things...

The first thing to worry about is whether your strings are completely messed up or not. If there is a ton of corrosion, gunky build-up, or wear spots from contact with the frets, then you absolutely need to change strings before going in. I'd do it a day or two before the actual date, so the strings have time to stretch and break in. Otherwise, you'll have strings that de-tune in the middle of a performance, and kill the last half of an otherwise-great take.

If the strings aren't completely shot, then it can be a matter of opinion. Strings, as they get older and played a lot, will naturally become more elastic, which makes them more prone to de-tuning. That's a bad thing. Also, strings tend to get a mellower sound, with less presence and attack, when they get older. When the goal of the recording is clarity, that can be a bad thing.

I always re-string my electrics before any big recording session. It's also a good idea to clean the fretboard, frets, nut, and bridge during this time, to make sure there's nothing binding the strings and interfering with your guitar staying in tune. It's also a good idea to check and, if necessary, adjust the intonation to make sure you don't go out of tune once you hit the high notes. If you see a theme so far, it's this: STAY IN TUNE! Nothing ruins a great recording like a string or two that goes an eighth flat in the middle of a song.

Now, for acoustics, it all depends on the guitar, guitar player, the part being played, and the mix. Electric strings get a *touch* mellower with age; acoustic strings sound *radically* duller. For a mix with drums and lots of other stuff going on, new strings are essential. That brightness is what will allow the acoustic to cut through and balance in the mix. Also, fingerpicked parts will sound mellower because of the method of playing (rather than using a flat-pick), so using brand-new strings will give some clarity back to the part. However, on some sessions, I've been known to keep a 2-month-old set of strings (still in good, playable shape with no corrosion) on a guitar to get a warmer, less piercing tone. This works especially well for tracks with sparse arrangements, or strum-along songs with a flat-pick.

I've often told acoustic players to change strings a week before tracking, to give the strings some time to break in and mellow just a bit. But it all depends on the guitar, the player, the part, and the arrangement, so that's not a rule of thumb. Also, the type of string you use can alter the tone and aging process a lot. Silk and Steel strings, or Elixer coated strings, will be even brighter when new, and stay bright even longer. Regular bronze-wound strings will sound bright for 24 hours or so, and then start mellowing out. I use D'Addario EXP coated strings, which is like a hybrid of a bronze-wound and the Elixers; they are a bit brighter when new, stay bright for about a week or 10 days, and then start to mellow REALLY nicely.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I know this will sound like a bad question but, why are you going in the studio to only record one song? All the trouble to get the time and to set everything up, I wouldn't do it until you have at least 4 songs to record.
    jcmark611 wrote:
    I know this will sound like a bad question but, why are you going in the studio to only record one song? All the trouble to get the time and to set everything up, I wouldn't do it until you have at least 4 songs to record.
    Because a friend of mine has a buddy who owns a studio here where I live and said he would do it for no charge. Just for a case of beer and some lunch. The other reason is because this song is about my mother passing away 5 years ago and this has been a goal of mine since I started playing guitar 2 years ago.
    For a mix with drums and lots of other stuff going on, new strings are essential. That brightness is what will allow the acoustic to cut through and balance in the mix. Also, fingerpicked parts will sound mellower because of the method of playing (rather than using a flat-pick), so using brand-new strings will give some clarity back to the part. However, on some sessions, I've been known to keep a 2-month-old set of strings (still in good, playable shape with no corrosion) on a guitar to get a warmer, less piercing tone. This works especially well for tracks with sparse arrangements, or strum-along songs with a flat-pick.

I've often told acoustic players to change strings a week before tracking, to give the strings some time to break in and mellow just a bit. But it all depends on the guitar, the player, the part, and the arrangement, so that's not a rule of thumb.

Good advice. I agree, if you are having other instruments in the song, you want a clean set of strings to break through the mix and ring. If you are recording just an acoustic.. sometimes it sounds more realistic and honest if your strings are a little worn in.
    Jam10 wrote:
    Because a friend of mine has a buddy who owns a studio here where I live and said he would do it for no charge. Just for a case of beer and some lunch. The other reason is because this song is about my mother passing away 5 years ago and this has been a goal of mine since I started playing guitar 2 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your mother.. good for you in completing this goal though!
  • Trailer wrote:
    Agreed!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Trailer wrote:
    Thanks. She passed away when I was 23 and I was still living at home. This song has really helped me cope a lot. I'll post it for anyone who wants to listen to it once it's completed and mixed.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:
    Thanks. She passed away when I was 23 and I was still living at home. This song has really helped me cope a lot.
    I'm sad to hear that, but i think it's awesome that you are recording something that is obviously very special to you. I think as musicians, the ultimate quest is to become one with our guitars so we can express musically whatever we are feeling inside. I love that i can express myself in many ways that i couldn't with just the words.

Wishing you much good luck with the recording.
    I just finished recording at 8:30 tonight. I got there at 8:00 in the morning. That's a 12.5 hour day. It was awesome. Worth every minute and TAKE. This is my first time recording and it's A LOT different than playing live. You have to be perfect and in time and play every note crisp or you keep doing it over and over until you get it. Sometime tomorrow or on the weekend the Engineer is going to edit it and mix it so hopefully I will have the final product by this weekend sometime. I will post it here for any one interested. I want everybody to be totally honest about the song. Everything about it......the lyrics, the melody, the structure basically if you like the song or not. I want honest critisism because I want to keep getting better and better. I have only been playing for just over 2 years so I won't take offence.

Thanks for everyone's advice and support. Everybody here has taught me a lot.
  • Just play! Some best recordings were recorded spontaneously!
    If you over think about it, you'll end up messing the song!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Jam10 wrote:
    I just finished recording at 8:30 tonight. I got there at 8:00 in the morning. That's a 12.5 hour day. It was awesome. Worth every minute and TAKE. This is my first time recording and it's A LOT different than playing live. You have to be perfect and in time and play every note crisp or you keep doing it over and over until you get it. Sometime tomorrow or on the weekend the Engineer is going to edit it and mix it so hopefully I will have the final product by this weekend sometime. I will post it here for any one interested. I want everybody to be totally honest about the song. Everything about it......the lyrics, the melody, the structure basically if you like the song or not. I want honest critisism because I want to keep getting better and better. I have only been playing for just over 2 years so I won't take offence.

Thanks for everyone's advice and support. Everybody here has taught me a lot.

Congratulations on getting your first song down. I regularly work in studio environments and it can be very intimidating at first. As you said, you need to make sure your playing is spot on because even small imperfections will tend to stick out on tape.

Looking forward to hearing the song.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."