Angus Young

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What does everybody think about Angus Young? I'm going to see AC/DC on January 9th in Toronto. It should be great!
Is Angus a bluesy player? Most of his licks sound bluesy to me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Congrats on the opp to see him. I never got into AC/DC but, like Black Sabbath and Lynard Skynnard, there's huge blues influence (which surprised me). It's cool to notice that in players. Angus is a pretty good guitarist, though. LGive us gear updates when you see them!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    He's a VERY pentatonic player.
    He also plays a lot of Unison-Bends & Double Stop Bends (very classic-rock).
    Angus plugs directly into his main amp (a Marshall JTM45) and cranks it - that's it.
    Live, he runs his amp into an isolation speaker box that feeds directly into the PA.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The band writes catchy tunes, and Angus plays catchy solos!

Not my cup of tea, but a great band!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • They have there place for sure. I'm not a die hard. I like the older stuff. The main thing is.

Angus has great tone!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I'm a big fan of AC/DC, and have been for years. One of the few bands I'd love to see live but haven't. Brian's voice has wavered a bit in the last couple tours, so they're starting to age, but they still put on one of the best shows ever. I'd put them up with the Stones or U2 for an engaging performance. Just beware of drunks with mullets!

As for Angus, the popular line is that he stole every Chuck Berry lick, played it a little faster, and with more overdrive. His licks are definitely blues-based pentatonic riffs, just with his own feel and delivery. He's not the most technical nor the most innovative, not the fastest nor the best feel, but he's really good and, more importantly, solid. He's always in the pocket. As a band, everyone exists to make Angus and Brian look good, and they're pretty underrated as a result. But they are always in the pocket, and Angus always puts the icing on the cake.

As for his tone, it's consistently great. It's one of the rarest recipes in rock music: plug a great guitar into a great amp.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/312/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'm a big fan of AC/DC, and have been for years. One of the few bands I'd love to see live but haven't. Brian's voice has wavered a bit in the last couple tours, so they're starting to age, but they still put on one of the best shows ever. I'd put them up with the Stones or U2 for an engaging performance. Just beware of drunks with mullets!

As for Angus, the popular line is that he stole every Chuck Berry lick, played it a little faster, and with more overdrive. His licks are definitely blues-based pentatonic riffs, just with his own feel and delivery. He's not the most technical nor the most innovative, not the fastest nor the best feel, but he's really good and, more importantly, solid. He's always in the pocket. As a band, everyone exists to make Angus and Brian look good, and they're pretty underrated as a result. But they are always in the pocket, and Angus always puts the icing on the cake.

As for his tone, it's consistently great. It's one of the rarest recipes in rock music: plug a great guitar into a great amp.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/312/
    No pedals? Wowzers
  • No pedals? Wowzers

I know... it's like wearing tights without a strategically-placed rolled-up sock...
  • If you listen, his tone really isn't that saturated. It's "Perfect"....

Less is more.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Hey im going to see ac/dc for the first show of the tour on the 28th then again at MSG my personal opinion i think Angus is the best guitarist of all time. Most people wont agree with me im sure, but if u wont to that then at least hes the greatest live performer.
    Pellet_Gun wrote:
    Hey im going to see ac/dc for the first show of the tour on the 28th then again at MSG my personal opinion i think Angus is the best guitarist of all time. Most people wont agree with me im sure, but if u wont to that then at least hes the greatest live performer.
    I respectfully disagree.

Greatest live performer? not even close.

Greatest guitarist? nope, I think Malcom's the one that writes the riffs, no?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Pellet_Gun wrote:
    Hey im going to see ac/dc for the first show of the tour on the 28th then again at MSG my personal opinion i think Angus is the best guitarist of all time. Most people wont agree with me im sure, but if u wont to that then at least hes the greatest live performer.
    Angus, is that you? :eek:

Meh, it's all personal opinion in the end. There's no way in hell i think he is the best guitarist of all time, but who cares. You dig him and that should be all that matters to you in the end. He rocks live, and when he is 'on' his tone is killer, i can agree with that.
  • I respectfully disagree.

Greatest live performer? not even close.

Greatest guitarist? nope, I think Malcom's the one that writes the riffs, no?

I think it would be hard to find a guitar player who engages a crowd as well as Angus. McCready comes close, but I can't think of any others... I am, of course, open to suggestion. But there aren't many non-front-man guitar players who can beat his stage presence.

He's not the best guitar player, certainly... it always depends on your criteria, and I would put him in a lot of top-10 lists, but I don't know that I'd put him as #1. That said, he's a solid, consistent performer and does have some pretty good riffs, even if they are derivative and repetative.

Lastly, Angus and Malcolm together write all the songs, riffs and lyrics. I do have to say that Malcolm is one *hell* of a rhythm guitar player, and always knows what to play to make Angus look good.
    I think it would be hard to find a guitar player who engages a crowd as well as Angus. McCready comes close, but I can't think of any others... I am, of course, open to suggestion. But there aren't many non-front-man guitar players who can beat his stage presence.

He's not the best guitar player, certainly... it always depends on your criteria, and I would put him in a lot of top-10 lists, but I don't know that I'd put him as #1. That said, he's a solid, consistent performer and does have some pretty good riffs, even if they are derivative and repetative.

Lastly, Angus and Malcolm together write all the songs, riffs and lyrics. I do have to say that Malcolm is one *hell* of a rhythm guitar player, and always knows what to play to make Angus look good.
    Guitar player/performer, MAYBE.

I look at him AS the frontman of AC/DC.

And I stand corrected on the Malcom thing, I apologize!
  • bega78bega78 Posts: 9
    Jam10 wrote:
    What does everybody think about Angus Young? I'm going to see AC/DC on January 9th in Toronto. It should be great!
    Is Angus a bluesy player? Most of his licks sound bluesy to me.

If you are anything like me you will come away wondering how a guy close to 60 has so much energy. Seriously he must just about goose step a marathon during a gig!
  • I've heard that Angus and Malcom now use Wizard amps on the road (Marshall clones). I think many people would be surprised they also don't play their amps at 10 either.
  • jcmark611 wrote:
    I've heard that Angus and Malcom now use Wizard amps on the road (Marshall clones). I think many people would be surprised they also don't play their amps at 10 either.
    With the amps at ten, isn't it hard to mic them? Do they use Hot Plates or something/
  • There is a guy on YouTube that plays in an AC/DC tribute and he gives tutorials on AC/DC. His sound is pretty dead on and he always plays cranked to 8 or 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrSc0mH_KU
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Angus definitely loves his hammer-ons and pull-offs. i love that intro to thunderstruck:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    bega78 wrote:
    If you are anything like me you will come away wondering how a guy close to 60 has so much energy. Seriously he must just about goose step a marathon during a gig!
    He's amazing isn't he. He's been the same since day one and never let up. So much energy.
  • Trailer wrote:
    Angus definitely loves his hammer-ons and pull-offs. i love that intro to thunderstruck:D
    I hear that song all the time on ESPN
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    Malcom has a killer Gretsch guitar (his own model) that just sounds incredible.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    jcmark611 wrote:
    There is a guy on YouTube that plays in an AC/DC tribute and he gives tutorials on AC/DC. His sound is pretty dead on and he always plays cranked to 8 or 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrSc0mH_KU

I'm going to see these guys Nov 15 here in DC with my daughter for the first time in 10 years I think. Ticks were $92.50 each with my boss picking up the tab.

I hope the play this number.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Don't wanna piss in yer corn flakes, but I've never thought m uch of Angus.
    Sure, AC/DC has some cool riffs, but that's Malcolm. Solo wise, Angus' stuff never seemed to gel with the rest of the song to me.
    Brian Johnson's voice too, sounds like a tomcat getting strangled by a carpet snake. It's gotta be the most constricted whine in all creation.
    Growing up, there were 2 other Aussie bands that made AC/DC look very average. Cold Chisel and the Angels.
    Songcraft, material, musicianship etc, the Angels were just a class above AC/DC.
    But hey, if recycled Chuck Berry licks are your thing, then Angus is your man. His showmanship covers musical mediocrity.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • chopschops Posts: 19
    AC/DC with Bon Scott was a different beast to the Brian Johnson days though. They did their best work with Bon Scott, though I dare say no other band has had so much success with a new singer... (probably heaps I can't think of). Personally, I wouldn't really compare The Angels with ACDC, and especially not Cold Chisel. When it comes down to it though

Not liking AccaDacca is just fair dinkum un-Austrayan though cobber...
  • No offense but, if you are looking down at AC/DC because they don't try new things or aren't expanding musical horizions then you are missing the boat on AC/DC. They're just here to rock, unappoligictically.
    chops wrote:
    AC/DC with Bon Scott was a different beast to the Brian Johnson days though. They did their best work with Bon Scott, though I dare say no other band has had so much success with a new singer... (probably heaps I can't think of). Personally, I wouldn't really compare The Angels with ACDC, and especially not Cold Chisel. When it comes down to it though

Not liking AccaDacca is just fair dinkum un-Austrayan though cobber...
    I love both ACDC and the angels. Anyone who doesn't like the angels, i have a message for you.
    Am i ever gonna see your face again?..

No way, get fucked, fuck off!

;)
  • chopschops Posts: 19
    Pj_Gurl wrote:

;)

Ah, six words that shaped this great nation.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I love both ACDC and the angels. Anyone who doesn't like the angels, i have a message for you.
    Am i ever gonna see your face again?..

;)

I saw the Angels at teh Great Northern HOtel in Byron back in Feb. I had never seen them before, always missed em when I was a tacker.
    It as a great show. They didn't have Doc with them, but he is back now. The plauying and tones were great. John Brewster sang, and did a good job. Rick Brewster's solos were tasteful and appeal to me much more than Angus.

Diff'rent stokes etc etc
    Music is not a competetion.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Does anyone know what the main difference in Angus' tone is between say dirty deeds and more present day stuff off the past couple albums. His sound seems to have more distortion and seems to be a little crisper. Just wondering if he uses more distortion or just different model amps

listen to a live clip from the 70's and now and his sound seems a little "heavier"
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Trailer wrote:

He only does that in the video and live sometimes.

Angus picks it all, and it's actually on 2 strings.