Hot British Pedal

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I did a search on the Hot British and couldn't find what I was looking for so I thought I would post this question. Does anybody own or have played a Hot British and what do you think of it.
A company called Radial Engineering makes this pedal and I was on their web site listening to some sound samples and this pedal sounds so amazing and has a tonne of versatility. It's a distortion pedal. I already have a Keeley Modded BD 2 and TS 9 so I don't know if I would need a Hot British but it does sound tempting. They sound really sweet!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Radial Engineering's Tonebone series are great pedals. I have tried this out and it sounds sweet and has many great features. Another pedal along the same line is Tech 21's Character Series British Overdrive/Distortion, another excellent pedal.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

Ha ha Take a look, it's in a book... reading rainbow....

I did a search for Hot British, and all I got was... well. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I did a search for Hot British, and all I got was... well. :D

i thought that earlier when i read this thread... :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I guess you didn't see the "Your Current Setup (Guitar)" thread posted by
    Hurley3038 this past week. Well, if you take a quick look at my pedalboard
    you'll see one :)http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5891045&postcount=28
    I also posted some info about the Hot British pedal back on 7/25/08:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=296030&highlight=british
    And also on 3/17/08: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=276493&highlight=british

Anyhow, it's a really really great sounding pedal - I use it all the time.
    However, be aware that the stomp-switch, just like all of these kinds of
    stomp-switches, can fail (mine did). These types of stomp-switches are a
    bad design, and I wish that companies like Radial, Fulltone, Keeley, MXR,
    Electro-Harmonix, Dunlop, and just about every other pedal-maker that uses
    these switches would stop using them and switch to a better designed
    switch like what the LEHLE switchers and the new pedals by Visual Sound
    use (rated at at-least 2-million switches), whereas the regular stompswitch
    used by many manufacturers is only rated for a few-thousand (in ideal
    conditions) - my Hot-British switch started failing after maybe 500 stomps
    (6-months), and I've replaced many other switches in other pedals because
    they also failed (it's not really difficult to do with some soldering knowledge,
    but it is a pain in the ass).
    As I said, it's a really great sounding pedal (I love mine and would get another
    one in a heartbeat if mine was stolen).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ian, have you seen those lehle videos where they run over them with trucks and stuff. Very cool videos.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ian, have you seen those lehle videos where they run over them with trucks and stuff. Very cool videos.
    No, but it wouldn't surprise me - they're great switchers - Joe Bonamassa
    uses their 1@3, and he's used it on tour for over 7-years without any issues.
    That doesn't happen with normal footswitches - Boss & Ibanez (TS-9 style)
    pedals use a similar kind of indirect momentary switching, which is why they
    rarely have switching issues. As I said before, some regular switches last for
    years and others not - it really depends on the switch and the usage.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    However, be aware that the stomp-switch, just like all of these kinds of stomp-switches, can fail (mine did). These types of stomp-switches are a bad design, and I wish that companies like Radial, Fulltone, Keeley, MXR, Electro-Harmonix, Dunlop, and just about every other pedal-maker that uses these switches would stop using them and switch to a better designed switch

The redeeming thing is that the switches are at least pretty easy to replace. I don't think I could replace the failed switch in, say, an Ibanez 9-series.

But for another $1.00, they could probably install something more robust. Stupid.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    For the purposes of fun demonstration.

http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=us&lang=en

Lehle Pronounced Leela. I want to have a use for a 3 at one into a one at 3.... though anyone wanting to do the Eddie thing with 3 deluxes should probably shop the 3 at one while they are shopping the 3 bangers.

and the requisite thread appropriate link. I'd say most people are fans of the hot british.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-hotbritish.htm I personally like the powerful tone shaping controls they give you on the tone bones that gives you the ability to find what you want if it's not quite there initially.

but..."you don't have to take my word for it... Lavar.." :D

http://www.radialeng.com/re-guitarists.htm