Rhythm Playing

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anybody know of any good exercises that work on rhythm playing technique? Different strum patterns, and different timings?
Is the best way to learn great rhythm playing to learn all different styles and songs or are there specific practice exercises?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Chords-know your chords. Play the RHYTHM part to songs you normally listen to. (Alive, Jeremy, Not For You, Black). Have fun, there's a lot of room for improv
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Depends on what you call rhythm. Strumming chords is one thing, playing syncopated rhythmic lines is another altogether. Playing arpeggiated chords as written is different again.
    Learn songs, and learn to read rhythm as it is written, rather than just playing by ear. There is a lot more discipline required.
    Lots of GNR songs have intersting arpeggios as the rhythm, Don't Cry, Civil War come to mind.
    I play a lot of Metallica, and there are a bunch of different rhythm styles to learn there. Classical arpeggios, as in Fade to Black; dozens of fairly straight rhythm lines like Sandman, MOP etc; syncopated stuff like the verses of One, or the choruses to Sad But True or Unforgiven II. Then you get songs like Harvester of Sorrow, where you start with an arpeggiated intro, slide into a heavy riff, then back to the arpeggio, the syncopated stuff in the verses etc. There is so much variety in the catalogue and just some songs.
    Learn stuff like that, and any rhythm part will seem like a pop.
    Or tune to open G and dig into some Stones, for a looser feel and a totally different vibe.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Or tune to open G and dig into some Stones, for a looser feel and a totally different vibe.

The Black Crowes have some great open G songs too, similar to the Stones. The basic rhythm is easy to get down but there's tons of room for little fills and such to let your own style shine through.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Here's another song to try
    Led Zep's "Friends". It's in a weird open tuning, and if you get the puoblished tab, it states that the rhythm is "world folk double swing", or something like that.
    Anyway, ther are a couple of different complex rhythms going on, and because of the open tuning, there is very little fretting going on. There is some, and you have to jump in and out of the main rhythm and go to the "chorus" feel and back again.
    It's totally a rhythm driven song, and very cool. Even my wife loves it when I play that. YIOu may be able to play it by ear, but if you follow the written rhythm you may find it a great exercise in rhythmic discipline. I know I keep coming back to that idea, but I have found often over the years that plenty of songs I play by ear sound fine, but then they sound even finer when I follow the original score more accurately. It's actualyl a lot harder to do, than just playing by ear too, but that is the point. Making your hands go where and importantly when you want them to go, not where and when they want to go. Good rhythm playing is all about great control. It's OK to play "out", but only once you can play "in".
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for the tips guys. I"ll have to give it a try!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    DOSW wrote:
    The Black Crowes have some great open G songs too, similar to the Stones. The basic rhythm is easy to get down but there's tons of room for little fills and such to let your own style shine through.
    Good call. They have some awesome songs in open G. I got into them in a big way back in the Marc Ford days. He's right up there with my favorite current day guitarists.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    for rhythm playing remember that the guitar is just a drum with strings.
    think of it that way - if you can tap out a rhythm you can play rhythm.
    tap out the rhythm you want to play first, then apply it to the guitar.
    there's also comping and playing in the pocket - it's just more involved.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • After posting about Friends, I spent some time playing that last night.

It's actually designated "World Symphonic Folk Rock", double swing, which I thought was piss funny. Great rhythm workout though !!

I finally bought a capo a few weeks ago too, so I was able to tackle Bron-yr-Aur Stomp for the first time ever. That's another great work-out. More of that today.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    After posting about Friends, I spent some time playing that last night.

It's actually designated "World Symphonic Folk Rock", double swing, which I thought was piss funny. Great rhythm workout though !!

I finally bought a capo a few weeks ago too, so I was able to tackle Bron-yr-Aur Stomp for the first time ever. That's another great work-out. More of that today.
    I would love to play Bron-yr-Aur Stomp. Is it a difficult song to play?
  • Jam10 wrote:
    I would love to play Bron-yr-Aur Stomp. Is it a difficult song to play?

Depends on how accurate you want to be and what your definition of hard is. Like a lot of Page stuff, it's not too hard to approximate it, but to play it really accurately is another bowl of noodles. Page's talents have been reduced by "teh internets" to an out-of-context quote of "nothing I did was very hard" and an ignorant repetition of "Page is sloppy", but the man had monster chops and copping his stuff accurately takes some doing.
    The song is played in open F, low to high, D, A, D, F#, A, D with capo on 3.
    (without the capo, it's open D), and is largely hybrid picked.
    My hybrid picking is not up to the speed required in this song, so I'm just faking it with pick drags etc for the present.
    The song is derived from Celtic folk music, and rather than having verse/chorus/verse/chorus/break/chorus type pop structure, it is more theme/variaton, with the vocal serving the instruments, rather than instruments serving vocal. There are a few timing changes too, and it jumps in out of double time feel, similar to Gallow's Pole.
    I have a box set of Zep tabs books which has excellent notes on the structure of the song and how to get yourself into the right stylistic headspace. It's a rambunctious, joyous song, and unbridled enthusiasm will produce a better feel than cautious picking of the right notes.
    Anyway, long answer to a simple question. I've never really dug into it, because I didn't have a capo, but I'm doing a lot of esoteric stuff now I've dropped the band thing.
    Buckley's Hallelujah copped a hiding yesterday, and all the open tuning and capo songs are on the menu for a while. I don't know if you've done much open tuning or slide stuff, but it is great fun, just a pain to change tunings all the time.
    Serriously, if you want to become a rhythm monster, open tunings are really great, cos it's all about the feel, with bugger all fretting. Buy the Led Zep III book and learn all those songs, learn some White Stripes, which will cover a lot of old delta blues stuff, like Death Letter etc. Then learn a bunch of metal songs, and nothing will be hard any more.