Lending out my amp

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm a little nervous........I'm lending out my amp for the very first time. I know this guy through other people, so I don't know him too well but he did me a huge favour once. I had a gig I had to play but last minute before the gig there was a death in the family and I decided it wasn't appropriate for me to play so I asked this guy if he could do it because he knew the set list and he did it for me last minute. I thought that was really cool of him especially considering it was fathers day and he had plans but he still came through. So today I got a phone call from him saying that he had a gig in Montreal which is about 8 - 9 hours away from where I am and asked if he could borrow my amp because he couldn't get his amp which was at the studio. I didn't ask questions, I figured that was the least I could do because he did me a favour. The thing is, I'm very anal with my gear and I take very good care of it. I haven't even travelled that far with my gear. So I'm a little nervous but I have to let him borrow it. That's what musicians do. Help each other out when needed. Just some thoughts from you guys. I'll probably lose some sleep once I give it to him. LOL
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've lent gear out so many times, I lost cound a long time ago. Musicians take care of their own, and I've had to borrow guitars, cables, amps, etc. from others to finish a set before as well. I try to intill a sense of how important my gear is, and the policy is always, "You break it, you buy it (or pay for repairs)." It should go without saying, but I say it every time.

The best part is, having another player who trades favors is a great asset for any gigging musician.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I've lent gear out so many times, I lost cound a long time ago. Musicians take care of their own, and I've had to borrow guitars, cables, amps, etc. from others to finish a set before as well. I try to intill a sense of how important my gear is, and the policy is always, "You break it, you buy it (or pay for repairs)." It should go without saying, but I say it every time.

The best part is, having another player who trades favors is a great asset for any gigging musician.
    Exactly. I lend it out to people I know. I wouldn't lend out my main baby, but if someone wants to borrow my godin or whatever, sure why not. It's a hell of a workhorse guitar!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • You may lose a little sleep, but this guy did you a big favor. I have loaned out amps, pedals guitars to friends for many years. I have never been burned, everything came back just as it left. Just think how you would treat a piece of equipment if you borrowed it. I bet you would treat it like your own, as most players would. Like Keeponrockin said, I wouldn't lend out my main guitar, or a very expensive custom shop model, but anything else, sure.
    You did a good thing.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I agree with all you guys. Thanks!
  • Funny story

Back in 2006, I got booted from a band (which I started) because I had too much gear. (The real reason was over a girl). Anyway, a year later, the same people, along with some other friends, asked to borrow my gear. I owed those other friends a favor, so I let them.

It's up to you whether you loan the gear, just maybe ask for some collateral? If he helped you out though, I'd return the favor.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy