LP Almost fell out of case......

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Have any of you ever picked up your guitar case and then realized that when you picked it up it was actually open and almost lost your guitar??
Tonight right before our jam session, we were setting everything up and I picked up my case to move it where I wanted it and the case was some how open. I always shut my case. It might of been one of the guys trying it out or maybe with all the setting up it got overlooked. Anyways, while I picked it up, the top part of the case opened and my Les Paul stayed inside the case but upside down. The top of the guitar was on top of the top of the case. I almost had a heart attack!!! I checked it over and everything seemed good. Thank God for hard cases! The whole time I was playing it was bothering me that it almost fell. Everything sounded and looked good so I don't think I have anything to worry about. Anything like this ever happen to anybody here?
I have to stop being so anal and worrying about my gear all the time. Shit is going to happen.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Putting a few bruises on your guitar makes it look better.
  • I've thrown my strat around SO many places!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Good thing it didn't fall, could have resulted in a broken neck (by one of your band-mates too :D)
    Naaa that shit just happens sometimes - there's nothing you can do but learn from it - you'll start
    to always look for at least one latch on the front of your case to be latched before picking it up.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Everybody's done it....

I haven't dinged my strat yet, but I know I will...

I picked sunburst because they look the best beat to shit 50 years down the road, and I'm gonna have that baby when I'm 67!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I've given the headstock of both my and LP their fair number of dings (stupid me) while moving around with the guitars on, but in their cases they're safe for the most part. I figure it's all part of owning the guitar. When I got each of them I treated them really carefully for a few months, then I stopped worrying about it after a while. Dings on your guitar are kind of like scars you keep on your skin. They can tell your life story.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    I've given the headstock of both my and LP their fair number of dings (stupid me) while moving around with the guitars on, but in their cases they're safe for the most part. I figure it's all part of owning the guitar. When I got each of them I treated them really carefully for a few months, then I stopped worrying about it after a while. Dings on your guitar are kind of like scars you keep on your skin. They can tell your life story.
    I agree with the end of this.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks guys, sure makes me feel a lot better!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    A good friend of mine got a LP. The second day he had I came over and was messing around with it (sweet guitar btw). Anyways, we were playing and talking and I rested his brand new LP up against the couch while I reached for one of his acoustics.
    Well, it started to tip over and I grabbed it at the very, very last minute. You should have seen the look on his face!!! :eek:
    I guess that was a better look than if I missed it and it crashed down on the floor. That face might not be so good! LOL
  • mca47 wrote:
    A good friend of mine got a LP. The second day he had I came over and was messing around with it (sweet guitar btw). Anyways, we were playing and talking and I rested his brand new LP up against the couch while I reached for one of his acoustics.
    Well, it started to tip over and I grabbed it at the very, very last minute. You should have seen the look on his face!!! :eek:
    I guess that was a better look than if I missed it and it crashed down on the floor. That face might not be so good! LOL

I know that face because I made it one time. After I told one of my friend not to touch my LP he ignored me and proceeded to pick it up BY THE STRAP. Needless to say it sliped out of his hands and crashed to the ground. I hurtled my coffee table to pick it up and take a look at it. Everything was fine, thank God.

I verbally repremanded my friend and told him if he ever touched any of my equipment again I'd break both of his hands.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i was in the middle of a set with my old band. i had to switch from my strat to my takemine acoustic for the next song. i placed the case right next to our bassists amp. i took off my strat & put it on the stand w/o incident. i then asked our bassist to hand me the acoustic. for some reason, it was open and when i went to grab it, it came crashing down & busted two of my machineheads clean off. i was so pissed/upset, but i knew it was my own fault.

i kind of froze & the crowd started cheering b/c i guess it's cool to drop your guitar!

so i used my strat for all of the acoustic parts instead that night.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Man, I'm glad your guitar didn't take a hit! I can't tell you how many times I've done that! It's like a slow motion movie moment where the case opens and the guitar slowly falls to the floor, but my voice gets lower and slower and I move in slow motion to grab it! :D

Yes, like Ian says, lesson learned.
    Haha, after 40+ years of guitar playing, I STILL do that every once in a while. One thing that DOES happen as when you do it again, your reflexes are better and you'll get better at stopping it with that "stooping arm grab maneuver" ;)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart