Just Curious..........

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
When you guys are done jammin and using all your gear for the day or night do you put everything away neatly. Do you wrap your cables up nicely, put the amp cover back around the amp, put your pedal board lid back on the case and so on? Or do you just leave everything the way it is then next time you play you just plug in and your ready to go? The reason I ask is because I have my own soundproof jam room in my basement and I always put everything away neatly after everytime I use my gear because I'm such a neat freak but what I have noticed is that I am eating away at my playing time by setting up and putting away. It takes me between 10 - 20 mins. everytime to set up and clean up. I could be using that time spent on playing. It just kind of bothers me to see everything in a mess with cables everywhere and stuff. Is it harmful for your gear (amp, pedals, and cables) to be left out and not covered all the time? No matter what, I always put my guitar back inside the case at all times. Just your thoughts on what you guys do everytime you play?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    well I usually just put my geetar on its stand, and maybe leave the cables in or roll them up. As long as its not humid or extreme in temperature then everything should be good.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Guitar in case, everything else ready to go!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Depends. I have a 4 guitar stand, and some stay out, some go away. I usually tidy cables up a bit, and usually cover my amps, to keep dust off.
    I wounld not spend 20 mins though, more like 5. Sometimes I'll do a big tidy, sometimes I'll juts sling my git back in the rack and walk.
    I run my amps and pedals etc from a single wall outlet, and I always unplug that as I go, cos thunderstorms are really common here and pop up from nowhere. It makes it siimple to protect my gear from being fried by a lightning strike. Surge proetectors are not good enough for lightning.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I put everything back nice & neat, put the flightcase top back on my pedalboard, coil cables neatly & put them
    in my bag with my mic, slide my amp cover on my amp (backwards so the name isn't showing). Takes 2-minutes.

For me it has less to do with being clean or being a neat freak.
    My reasoning . . . what if someone breaks in - many times if a thief doesn't see it quickly he's less likely to take it.
    Most want to get in and out quick, and are less likely to go looking for things - they grab what's easy for them to
    take with them. Remember, if they're not musicians many people don't know what these things are, so by covering
    up my amp & pedal board, putting my guitar in it's case & taking that with me (we're talking rehearsal studio here),
    bagging up my cables & mic (and taking them with me), all makes things less likely to go missing in the unfortunate
    event that someone breaks into the rehersal studio . . . for you in your home, just covering things up can help.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • If my rents yell, I put everything away. Usually, I just keep everything hooked up because it takes me a good 30 minutes to set up my rig. My basement is like my apartment so everything is usually ready to go.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I pack everything up. Guitar in case, cables in bag, pedalboard shut, amp cover on. I think it makes me play guitar less though, setting up is such a hassle!
  • I DEFINITLEY keep my main baby in my room with me, in case there's a fire, my Strat'll make it out alive!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Complete tear down. Everything put back, gutiars/ bass's wiped down. Monitors put back on the shelves, all cables rolled up and on hangers, pedals back in there boxes etc.....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    my little corner is mine alone so it's all set-up how i like it. everything i want is out and ready to go. it's a little recording area so mics etc. stay set up. i don't have to tear down to go jam or anything.

about half my stuff is going into storage so my space is a lot more manageable now. (that god-awful amp wall is gone). the unused stuff is filed away neatly and covered with light sheets.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Well I figure since I have my own jam room that is 19' x 12' I have lot's of space and there is also a lock on the door with no windows in the room so I got thinking.........I might as well keep everything ready to go at all times that way I get more playing time in. A lot of my playing time is when my daughter is either taking her nap or at her bed time and those 20 mins. it takes me to set up, I could be using that time playing. Sometimes her naps are only 45 mins. and sometimes they are 2 hours, so why not keep everything ready and whenever I leave the house I could always lock the door and keep a dehumidifier in their since the room is so air tight.
    What do ya guys think??
  • Jam10 wrote:
    Well I figure since I have my own jam room that is 19' x 12' I have lot's of space and there is also a lock on the door with no windows in the room so I got thinking.........I might as well keep everything ready to go at all times that way I get more playing time in. A lot of my playing time is when my daughter is either taking her nap or at her bed time and those 20 mins. it takes me to set up, I could be using that time playing. Sometimes her naps are only 45 mins. and sometimes they are 2 hours, so why not keep everything ready and whenever I leave the house I could always lock the door and keep a dehumidifier in their since the room is so air tight.
    What do ya guys think??
    Keep your main setup out, and put the extras away!

Guitars in cases is a good idea, but everything else, I don't much see a problem with it being out.
  • Jam10 wrote:
    What do ya guys think??
    Can your daughter sleep through the loud guitar playing?
    Can your daughter sleep through the loud guitar playing?
    It's a soundproof room. I specifically built it that way so I'm not disturbing my wife and daughter at night. It works really well. It was a huge project that cost a lot of money but very well worth it because I can now use all my gear without worrying about disturbing anyone. (:
  • Jam10 wrote:
    It's a soundproof room. I specifically built it that way so I'm not disturbing my wife and daughter at night. It works really well. It was a huge project that cost a lot of money but very well worth it because I can now use all my gear without worrying about disturbing anyone. (:
    As ELP said..

"Oh what a lucky man, he was.."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Depends on what's going down with my work really. If i'm on 4 days off, i'll leave most things as they are, but i always put my guitars back in their cases. I have a 4 stand as well that i just leave 2 acoustics in, and i have an acoustic that is next to my bed. Kinda like a comforter for when i can't sleep. I've done that since i was 12. The rest of my guitars get put away and i only pull out which one i'm using. I always cover my amps as well.

If i'm on night shifts or 12 hour day shifts i'll pack everything up heading into that because it'a almost impossible to find real time to play and set up as well because i'm too tired and generally just looking to sleep, so in those instances i'll just grab one of my acoustics from the stand and play with that for half hour to an hour or so.

Jam10 congrats on finishing the room. Sounds very cool indeed.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    I throw a fancy sheet over the equipment.

It's kind of like making a bed.

A sideways bed.

Not only does this give the appearance of a fancy sideways bed in the room, but it also keeps dust out of tiny electronic crevices!
    DangDang wrote:
    I throw a fancy sheet over the equipment.

It's kind of like making a bed.

A sideways bed.

Not only does this give the appearance of a fancy sideways bed in the room, but it also keeps dust out of tiny electronic crevices!
    careful if you come home one night all trashed out, you might think it is your bed and that could be a problem. i don't think our gear would like us sleeping on it. unless you have a peavey amp in amongst it. they are indestructable. never ever ever buy a Peavey... they last forever.

;)
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    careful if you come home one night all trashed out, you might think it is your bed and that could be a problem. i don't think our gear would like us sleeping on it. unless you have a peavey amp in amongst it. they are indestructable. never ever ever buy a Peavey... they last forever.

;)
    I got a Peavey TNT 130 from the 70's or 80's...and it's going to survive the end of the world
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Depends on what's going down with my work really. If i'm on 4 days off, i'll leave most things as they are, but i always put my guitars back in their cases. I have a 4 stand as well that i just leave 2 acoustics in, and i have an acoustic that is next to my bed. Kinda like a comforter for when i can't sleep. I've done that since i was 12. The rest of my guitars get put away and i only pull out which one i'm using. I always cover my amps as well.

If i'm on night shifts or 12 hour day shifts i'll pack everything up heading into that because it'a almost impossible to find real time to play and set up as well because i'm too tired and generally just looking to sleep, so in those instances i'll just grab one of my acoustics from the stand and play with that for half hour to an hour or so.

Jam10 congrats on finishing the room. Sounds very cool indeed.
    Yeh Pj Gurl, I'm really excited I got the room done. It's awesome, I can play at any time in the night and not disturb anyone.
    Just curious with your shift work..........what do you do for a living? Firefighter, Paramedic, Police Officer.
    Sorry if it's a personal question. I'm a firefighter so I was just curious.
    I got a Peavey TNT 130 from the 70's or 80's...and it's going to survive the end of the world
    you can count on it!
    Jam10 wrote:
    Yeh Pj Gurl, I'm really excited I got the room done. It's awesome, I can play at any time in the night and not disturb anyone.
    Just curious with your shift work..........what do you do for a living? Firefighter, Paramedic, Police Officer.
    Sorry if it's a personal question. I'm a firefighter so I was just curious.
    It's ok, i'm a paramedic. There's another person here who posts a fair bit who is heading down that path as well. I'll let him own up to that though. Long hours, but very rewarding work.
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    It's ok, i'm a paramedic. There's another person here who posts a fair bit who is heading down that path as well. I'll let him own up to that though. Long hours, but very rewarding work.
    Haha, way ahead of ya. Andy already knows. You two are the ones I come to for advice :)

Thanks, guys
    Haha, way ahead of ya. Andy already knows. You two are the ones I come to for advice :)

Thanks, guys
    No problems, happy to help you out if i can :)

Thanks, guys
    Anytime buddy. That's why we're all here!
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    That's awesome. Yeh it's very rewarding work and it gives us a lot more time to play guitar!!!!!! (: