Using Effects Loop of your amp

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I used my effects loop on my amp the other day for the first time and WOW what a world of difference it made. I ran my phaser, chorus, delay and RC 20XL through the effects loop of the amp and my distortion pedals infront of the amp and everything just simply sounded so much better. Everything was so much quietier too when I wasn't playing. It's only 2 extra cables which isn't bad at all. The back of your amp looks like a total mess with cable everywhere but it's so worth it. I recommend everyone use the effects loop of your amp and see if you notice a huge difference.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    I've got my chorus and delay through my loop. My wah, phaser, and acoustic sim through the front of my amp. I just ended up one day messing around to see what's better through what.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • I Used to use my effects loop and it is a world of difference. I can't remember the exact reason I stopped...probably cables or something stupid...actually, I might start using it again...decisions...

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread (sorry if it seems like it) but what the advantages/disadvantages to using a loop? Any gigging experience with it? I did for a while in 2006-2007 but nothing serious
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I use my effects loop for a bunch of pedals, and only have 3 pedals pre-amped. It makes a world of difference in the tone saturation issues I was having previously.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I Used to use my effects loop and it is a world of difference. I can't remember the exact reason I stopped...probably cables or something stupid...actually, I might start using it again...decisions...

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread (sorry if it seems like it) but what the advantages/disadvantages to using a loop? Any gigging experience with it? I did for a while in 2006-2007 but nothing serious

I sent this as a PM reply to Andy just yesterday . . . maybe it'll somewhat answer your question.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Jam10 wrote:

Thanks Ian. I think powered speakers is the way to go for my situation.

Off topic here......Last night I ran my phaser, chorus, delay and RC 20 XL through the effects loop of my amp and what a world of difference it made. All the modulation pedals sounded so much better, my clean channel was so much cleaner and everything was whisper quiet. It is definitely worth running two extra cables to the back of my amp. It looks like a mess behind the amp but sounds so much better.

Yeah, I think I told you before that modulation effects sound best through the amps effects loop.
    It's what I do in the studio, but not for live shows or band rehearsal because it's just too impractical to run 4 cables to my amp all the time (2 long cables going to the amp's loop from the modulation on the board, another cable going to the amps input from everything else on the board, and another to the board from your guitar).
    All those cables are way to easy to trip over, or have a cable go bad, or get broken, or whatever.
    I just run everything in line (2-cables) for live shows or band practice - no one ever hears how much quieter or better the sound is with all the other instruments playing (so it's not worth it).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    [/size]
    I sent this as a PM reply to Andy just yesterday . . . maybe it'll somewhat answer your question.

[/size]
    Thanks, Ian. That really helps me, a lot. I'm going to do that in the studio and it seems really practical to use it there
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I've been using my effects loop for the last year or so and everything sounds 100x better. It eases signal degradation, noise levels and cleans up modulation effects wonderfully. I've used a cable tidy to wrap my 3 extra leads into one big, fat, monster lead so it's not too much extra hassle.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Also worth noting is what kind of effects loop you have. I recently found out that my Marshall TSL head has a parallel effects loop as opposed to a serial one. I'm not too happy about that, since the dry signal far overpowers the wet one. I've tried playing with the mix and output settings on the DD-20 as well, still not much luck.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1