Down to 3

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have pretty much narrowed down my Strat options to 3. They are
American Standard......Blizzard Pearl with a Maple fretboard
American Standard......Charcoal Frost Metallic with either a Rosewood or Maple fretboard
American Deluxe.......Red, soft V maple fretboard.

The more Strats I play I seem to lean more toward the Maple fretboards. I love the tone and I also figure because the neck is maple and the fretboard is maple then it would be one solid piece of wood.
I really love all 3 of these colors.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jam10 wrote:
    American Standard......Charcoal Frost Metallic with either a Rosewood or Maple fretboard

The more Strats I play I seem to lean more toward the Maple fretboards. I love the tone and I also figure because the neck is maple and the fretboard is maple then it would be one solid piece of wood.
    Charcoal!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Jam10 wrote:

If ya like all three, play all three if they have them in stock, then take the best one.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I could tell you what kind of ice cream you want, but you might not like the kind of ice cream that I like... personally, I'd get cookies and creme, but sometimes I really like a cheesecake ice cream, or maybe a really good vanilla. So you should definitely get the cookies and creme, man... why would you want rocky road? Ice cream with peanuts, that's just wrong! Sure, Hendrix liked ice cream with peanuts, but Stevie Ray was totally all about ice cream without nuts. And Clapton switched from nuts to no nuts about the same time he started doing coke, and I never thought his tone was the same... so you should totally get the cheesecake or cookies and creme ice cream. You won't regret it!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I could tell you what kind of ice cream you want, but you might not like the kind of ice cream that I like... personally, I'd get cookies and creme, but sometimes I really like a cheesecake ice cream, or maybe a really good vanilla. So you should definitely get the cookies and creme, man... why would you want rocky road? Ice cream with peanuts, that's just wrong! Sure, Hendrix liked ice cream with peanuts, but Stevie Ray was totally all about ice cream without nuts. And Clapton switched from nuts to no nuts about the same time he started doing coke, and I never thought his tone was the same... so you should totally get the cheesecake or cookies and creme ice cream. You won't regret it!
    Great, no love for Mint Chocolate Chip. That'd be something new to try.

Seriously, though, just try them out like Keeponrockin said
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I could tell you what kind of ice cream you want, but you might not like the kind of ice cream that I like... personally, I'd get cookies and creme, but sometimes I really like a cheesecake ice cream, or maybe a really good vanilla. So you should definitely get the cookies and creme, man... why would you want rocky road? Ice cream with peanuts, that's just wrong! Sure, Hendrix liked ice cream with peanuts, but Stevie Ray was totally all about ice cream without nuts. And Clapton switched from nuts to no nuts about the same time he started doing coke, and I never thought his tone was the same... so you should totally get the cheesecake or cookies and creme ice cream. You won't regret it!

Yeh I get it man. It's all personal preference. I didn't ask which one should I get. I said I narrowed it down to 3 and it's a tough decision that's all. I'm just curious which color combinations people on the forum like. I just value people's opinions here!
    Thanks for your reply though, I really appreciate it! (:
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:

Ahhh so you are ready to buy :), they are all nice guitars.
    I agree with the other guys, try and play one of each and base your decision on what feels good for you. Remember with the Deluxe that it's easy as to change the butterscotch pickguard, cause i remember that you were not keen on that. White will look badass ;)

Good luck!!!!
  • Great, no love for Mint Chocolate Chip. That'd be something new to try.

I'm all about Mint Chocolate Chip. That's why i'm buying a Nash.

cheers
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Jam10 wrote:
    Yeh I get it man. It's all personal preference. I didn't ask which one should I get. I said I narrowed it down to 3 and it's a tough decision that's all. I'm just curious which color combinations people on the forum like. I just value people's opinions here!
    Thanks for your reply though, I really appreciate it! (:

In a Strat, I love the Dauphne Blue and Seafoam/Surf Green. Fiesta Red is close behind. WBW pickguards, or maybe parchment. I would always choose a rosewood fretboard over maple, hands down. Vintage-style ("aged", with that vaguely yellow patina) pickup covers, switch tip, and knobs, definitely.

Here's what you need to look for: Feel, fit, finish; tone, both unplugged and plugged; and "vibe", that intangible quality wherein you just gel with a certain guitar, regardless of anything you could put into words.

A good process for playing any guitar that you're intending on buying:

1) Look the guitar over, every little nook and cranny, to make sure you identify any scratches, nicks, blemishes, etc. Nothing sucks more than buying a really nice guitar, then finding a big nick in the back of the neck when you get home.

2) Play the guitar for at least 10 or 15 minutes UNPLUGGED, to get a sense of how the guitar feels, and how the body resonates and projects without plugging in. Do this in an isolation room, if at all possible.

3) Plug it straight into an amp and play for another 10 or 15 minutes. Plug into an amp that you know very well, or is similar to what you have at home. The temptation is there to plug into a VERY nice amp at the store, but when you get back to the amp at home, it may not shine like you thought it would. If you've got a Peavey Rage at home, don't go plugging into the Plexi half-stack at the store.

4) SLEEP ON IT. If you find "the one", put a deposit down and come back the next day. Repeat steps 2 & 3 with the guitar, and if you still like, then buy. Make sure you take some time to make sure you aren't jumping the gun. Research comparable prices, read some user reviews of the model you're looking at. Know what to look for and listen for when you go back.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    If you've got a Peavey Rage at home, don't go plugging into the Plexi half-stack at the store.
    The whole of mccreadyisgod's post is really good advice, but this seriously made me laugh out loud :)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I would always choose a rosewood fretboard over maple, hands down. Vintage-style ("aged", with that vaguely yellow patina) pickup covers, switch tip, and knobs, definitely.

+1 as I've said, I like rosewood better too . . .
    But from what JAM's said about his color preference, neck preference (including shape), likes
    & dislikes, etc, etc, I still think the click: Vintage Hot Rod '57 Strat is probably his best bet.
    And even though I prefer rosewood, I'd buy this guitar in a flash (if I was looking for a Strat).
    You can scroll through the PIC's in that link I gave - you know, just so you can pine, languish, & drool a little more ;)
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    In a Strat, I love the Dauphne Blue and Seafoam/Surf Green. Fiesta Red is close behind. WBW pickguards, or maybe parchment. I would always choose a rosewood fretboard over maple, hands down. Vintage-style ("aged", with that vaguely yellow patina) pickup covers, switch tip, and knobs, definitely.

Here's what you need to look for: Feel, fit, finish; tone, both unplugged and plugged; and "vibe", that intangible quality wherein you just gel with a certain guitar, regardless of anything you could put into words.

A good process for playing any guitar that you're intending on buying:

1) Look the guitar over, every little nook and cranny, to make sure you identify any scratches, nicks, blemishes, etc. Nothing sucks more than buying a really nice guitar, then finding a big nick in the back of the neck when you get home.

2) Play the guitar for at least 10 or 15 minutes UNPLUGGED, to get a sense of how the guitar feels, and how the body resonates and projects without plugging in. Do this in an isolation room, if at all possible.

3) Plug it straight into an amp and play for another 10 or 15 minutes. Plug into an amp that you know very well, or is similar to what you have at home. The temptation is there to plug into a VERY nice amp at the store, but when you get back to the amp at home, it may not shine like you thought it would. If you've got a Peavey Rage at home, don't go plugging into the Plexi half-stack at the store.

4) SLEEP ON IT. If you find "the one", put a deposit down and come back the next day. Repeat steps 2 & 3 with the guitar, and if you still like, then buy. Make sure you take some time to make sure you aren't jumping the gun. Research comparable prices, read some user reviews of the model you're looking at. Know what to look for and listen for when you go back.
    That's all great advice. Thanks!