Dave Matthews............

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Has to be one of the most under rated guitar players ever. He is an incredible rhythm player but rarely do we hear about him. Everyone is always hyped up about the lead players but how about the rhythm players. Stone is an awesome guitar player as well but most people who don't know Pearl Jam like we do always talk about Mike.
Any thoughts................
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Dave is a wonderful player, and he's genuinely every bit as nice in person.
    Yeah, learn a rhythm like DMB's Grey Street and then sing with it - they're
    great for developing hand independence - both halves of your brain end up
    working because the vocal melody and guitar rhythms are completely different.
    Most of his songs are like that (try Satellite, it'll kick your ass). I used to play
    quite a few of his tunes on a solo acoustic tour I did a few years back - fun.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lazymoon13lazymoon13 Posts: 838
    the guy can play
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    totally unique style, that is about the highest compliment you can pay any musician....i guess maybe cuz he's from africa, maybe he is imitating african musicians most of us don't know, instead of imitating hendrix, zeppelin, etc, like most american guitarists

his songs are a lot of fun to play on acoustic

also hard to play! i've seen big dave fans try to start out on guitar playing dave songs, and get very frustrated, cuz its not as easy as he makes it look!

and i agree about lead players getting all the attention.......i could go on about that, but maybe later...
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Gotta agree with everyone else so far. Awesome/unique style. Great songwriting. I've grown tired of his voice over the years, but he's a hell of a player. Makes it look too easy.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Gotta agree with everyone else so far. Awesome/unique style. Great songwriting. I've grown tired of his voice over the years, but he's a hell of a player. Makes it look too easy.
    +1 less the tired of his voice bit ;)
    Chatted to him briefly in 06. He is one hell of a nice guy too. His skills as a songwriter are so damn good. He said that he bases most of his writing on real life experiences and the ones close to him, mainly his family. Beautiful person to communicate with.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I agree. Dave a great guitarist. Some of his timings are quite incredible!
    I consider myself a decent guitarist and while I can play a lot of DMB songs, there are those that I can't touch (esp. singing and playing at the same time).