Boss RC 2, RC 20 XL or RC 50 which one?

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Which pedal do you think would be best for jamming and practicing alone. All these loop effects have built in drum machines and I was wondering if running a drum machine through a tube amp would ruin a tube amp or if I'm better off running the effects loop through another amp? Does anybody have any of these effects pedals and if so which pedal would you guys recommend I buy and why?
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I have the RC 20XL and love it a lot. it's very easy to use. I've only had it about a month so I've not even used the drum machine part yet. I've pretty much just been recording a part and then either soloing over it or adding other fills and things. it is by far the best money I've ever spent on equipment and should be a must have for anyone who does not play regularly with other people.

I've heard the RC 2 isn't the greatest and is somewhat limited, so why not get the 20XL for no more than the cost difference? and of course, if you can afford the $500 one, go for it.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You can run pretty much any input signal into a guitar amp, like vocal mikes, headphone outputs, or line outputs which are meant to be amped. I run my Tascam CD trainer through my Lonestar all the time, cos it's there and it's simple. It works through both the effects return and the front jack, cos both are headed to the power amp section at an appropriate level.
    Remember when you are using a lot of pre-amp distortion, with possibly a series of pedals or clean boost between your guitar and the front end, the signal coming from the pre-amp to the power amp is pretty hot. In an audio device, that will cause unwanted distortion, but remember guitar power amps are designed to work happliy in a distorted overdriven state which might well fry an audio amp.
    So you are not going to harm your power amp with any pre-amp level signal form another device.
    You just grab a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor and away you go. Just turn down the output levels on both devices and adjust upwards til you get the volume you want. Lots of multi-function amps have a jack to plug devices like CD players and drum machines etc.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The RC-2 & RC-20 are basically the same thing - The RC-2 is just in a single space stompbox instead of a double
    space unit - This subject was covered thoroughly on here several months back - if you do a search or back-log
    a bit you'll most likely get a wealth of information about all of our experiences with each of these devices . . .

I have both the RC-2 and RC-20, and I personally like the RC-20 a bit better for an all in one unit - but it's twice
    the size, so if you need a smaller 1-space pedal due to lack of space on your pedalboard (which is what I had to
    do) get the RC-2, but keep in mind that you'll need to get an external footswitch to stop and erase easily.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫