String change

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just changed the strings on my guitar today. It is the first time I did it myself. I broke the high E string buy tightning it too much. My question is.... approximately how much slack do you leave yourself when putting the string through the tuning peg before wrapping the string around the tuning peg?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    roughly 2.5 inches or so is what i do.

assuming a fender headstock, if i'm stringing the low E, i'll leave slack equivalent to reaching the G tuner or so. so however long that is.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I pre-cut all of my strings before I put them on - I cut about a tuner and a half for the wound strings and about 2 for the plain ones.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • I don't cut mine at all. Is that bad?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    I pre-cut all of my strings before I put them on - I cut about a tuner and a half for the wound strings and about 2 for the plain ones.

That's pretty much what I do.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I don't cut mine at all. Is that bad?
    I think you probably end up with a bit too much winding if you don't cut them, and if you use your tremelo at all you run into
    all kinds of tuning problems because all the wraps loosen up - the fewer wraps you have the less problem you have with that.
    This is a prime example of why they make locking tuners - and on top of the tuning problems it just looks really messy.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • AH HAH! I SEE! I have crazy tuning problems.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    three or four times around the peg will do.