Who can play.........

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yellow Ledbetter. I am trying to learn how to play Yellow Ledbetter and I am having a tough time. I got the proper tab, but I have only been playing about a year and a half and it seems to be more of an advanced song. In the intro when you go to the B chord, do you use your thumb or index finger?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    index for me.
  • can you post the tab you are using?
    Things change. They wont change unless you make them. The best way to change something you don't like, is to change yourself. So if you feel like you have a piece of duct tape on your mouth and you can't escape, take it off, speak up, speak your mind, shout it out, let 'em hear ya! -EV
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Check out the Given to wail web site. All their tabs are great.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    you should learn Society.. its so easy... go to youtube and search it, there is a great video of a dude playing it and it's easy to learn from him!
  • I use thumb, jimi style!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • index. yeah i just learned yellow ledbetter and im now mastering the solo. i think it is a more advanced song. i have the tabs, if you want to try?
    Adge
    12.9.06= Rockin In The Free World
  • Favorite Song To Play On Guitar
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    the solo is unbelievably easy. i think it might have been the first solo i learned
  • scot88 wrote:
    the solo is unbelievably easy. i think it might have been the first solo i learned
    yeah it is easy!
    Adge
    12.9.06= Rockin In The Free World
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    you can do it either way, but for the B and A in the intro, I form a Maj 7th barre chord and use my pinky for the little hammer-on part on the high e string and then just slide down from the B to the A.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    MLC2006 wrote:
    you can do it either way, but for the B and A in the intro, I form a Maj 7th barre chord and use my pinky for the little hammer-on part on the high e string and then just slide down from the B to the A.

This is by far the easiest way to finger this chord. When you finished with the A chord, it leaves you in position to do the little run down just before you hit teh E chord near the nut. I have tried 3 tabs, but ended up using one from a guitar mag. I always found the GTW tab confusing for this song.
    Realising that Mike's parts are mainly "add9" derivations of the basic chord progression of E, B, A, E helps make sense of it all. The key is E major, so the relative minor is C#, and that is where the solo lives, as well as the first phrase in each passage.
    Great thing about guitar, to find the major/relative minor, you just go down the fretboard from your starting position with the standard box pattern instead of up.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • It's all about the thumb on that low B.
  • I use my index finger. Here's a little vid I made to show you. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqkW_4-V5Ps

NOTE: My playing might not be exactly like the tabs. I throw in a combination of a little live variation with some of my own improv, but it should answer your question to some degree.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    It's a tough song to play. Would you guys say it's an intermediate song or an advanced song? This one will take a lot of practice to get the feeling and timing down. Yellow Ledbetter in my opinion is all about feeling.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jam10 wrote:
    It's a tough song to play. Would you guys say it's an intermediate song or an advanced song? This one will take a lot of practice to get the feeling and timing down. Yellow Ledbetter in my opinion is all about feeling.

Probably really an intermediate song, but depends on your ambitions, i guess.
    Do you have a tab that shows the note timing ??
    Mine is from a mag, has timing, that helps a lot. So does being taught.
    You are right in that it is about feeling, but that doesn't really tell you how to play it.
    It is worth doing the practice to play songs precisely. You learn how to make your fingers do what you want, and not what they want, also it's the way to get "the tone" that is in the fingers.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    it's most definitely not an 'advanced' song. I'd almost say it's not even an 'intermediate' song, it's pretty easy. for a "grunge" band, it may be intermediate. but when you take into account thrash metal, 80s metal, neo-classical stuff, "Yellow Ledbetter" is pretty elementary. that's a big reason I've slowed down on learning songs from the 90s, because while I love songs from the 90s, I learn almost nothing from them because they're too easy.
  • I say thumb. It allows for more a smoother and possibly more complex slide from the B down to the A.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"