G formation chord on fretboard?

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can you use the standard open G chord formation anywhere on the fretboard? If so, what chord is the G formation on the 5th fret?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm pretty sure you can with some exceptions. I don't know the chord name. I might be wrong about this as I'm new to chord names and positions.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I believe it's an A, though you'd have to use a capo on the 3rd fret to get it to sound like an A (if you're strumming all the strings like an open G).

Edit: You'd have to either barre the 2nd fret or use a capo there, not on the 3rd fret.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • You're reffering to "Porch"?

e--3-333---5-555---6-666---5-555
    B -3-333---5-555---6-666---5-555
    D -0-000---0-000---0-000---0-000
    G -0-000---0-000---0-000---0-000
    A -2-222---4-444---5-555---4-444
    E--3-333---5-555---6-666---5-555

Not sure about the name's of those chords besides G. The second one is an A with the 4th and flat 7 being played open and the other one is a Bb with the 6th being played open. Someone correct me.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    It would be an A. You would have to barre it though. Whatever the first note in the chord is, thats the name if the chord. you can make chords however you want too (within reason :D ). But yea that would be an A, it would sound wierd if you didnt barre it though,

EDIT: The guy above me is right, they use it on "Porch". And I use it when I play Porch, but it sounds wierd with distortion, so I just mute the two open strings.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Jam10 wrote:
    Can you use the standard open G chord formation anywhere on the fretboard? If so, what chord is the G formation on the 5th fret?
    The chord would not be called a G chord anymore.

If you play the open G chord (320033) on the 5th fret with this fingering (650066) . . .
    The notes are (low to high) A# D D G F A# so the chord name is actually A#6 or
    the notes are (low to high) Bb D D G F Bb so the chord is now a Bb6.
    With either of these chords you have a Root, 3rd, 5th, and 6th.
    It just depends what you want to call it (A# or Bb).

Now if you meant the open G-fingering placed here (540055) . . .
    Then the chord is basically an A eleventh w/ added 3rd or A11add3
    The notes are A C# D G E A (you have a Root, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and b7).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks guys, you guys are really good on your theory. Yes I was referring to "Porch". Great song, I am learning how to play it. In the verses is it just A to C or is it A, C, G?

Thanks!