PJ and Zeppelin

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just thinking.......it's not very often you hear Pearl Jam talk much about Led Zeppelin. When you ask them their influences it's The Who, Neil Young, but I never hear Zeppelin. I know Stone is a big Led Zeppelin fan but I'm not sure about the rest of the guys. Zeppelin is amazing and I'm sure PJ does like them. What are your thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Page isn't that great a technical player (as he's said himself), but he's a fantastic writer.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Jam10 wrote:
    I was just thinking.......it's not very often you hear Pearl Jam talk much about Led Zeppelin. When you ask them their influences it's The Who, Neil Young, but I never hear Zeppelin. I know Stone is a big Led Zeppelin fan but I'm not sure about the rest of the guys. Zeppelin is amazing and I'm sure PJ does like them. What are your thoughts?
    Mike tagged "Over The Hills" onto Ledbetter at the Jones Beach show in 2000
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:
    There's no doubt that they have great respect for each other as musicians. When PJ headlined in Chicago in 05 for the Hurricane Katrina benefit, they invited Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation along for support.
    The set was so awesome and in the second encore they played "Given to Fly", and Eddie dedicated the song to Plant.

Oh, and during RITFW, Plant was on guitar - yep - guitar, and you could see Mike teaching him the chord changes while the anthem rolled on. So freakin cool.
    Jam10 wrote:
    What are your thoughts?
    Zeppelin = very cool, but Jimmy Page is more than just cool. He is arguably the greatest song writing guitarist that's ever lived.
  • Given To Fly...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    The band obviously respect Zeppelin. At the Astoria 06 show Mike tagged Nobody's Fault But Mine onto Yellow Ledbetter and then when he was finished bowed to Robert Plant (who was in the audience). But on the other hand I do think Young and The Who were a much bigger influence, particularly to Eddie, which is why Led Zepp aren't mentioned much in interviews and so forth. Pearl Jam must like a billion different bands, not all of them can be namechecked. If anything, Led Zepp are one of the bands that have had so much of an influence that they don't even need to be mentioned, the music speaks for itself.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Ed dedicated "Given to Fly" to Robert Plant?? lmao. I guess he damn well should since "Given to Fly" is a complete rip-off of Zep's "Going to California".

but hey, Zep has ripped off quite a few people in their day too, so what are ya gonna do?

I agree that Page is not a great "technical" guitarist, but most of the well known "guitar heros" aren't. Hendrix wasn't. Keith Richards isn't. I don't even feel that Mike is all that technical. but Page is still one of the alltime greats. aside from a select few of his solos, I think his rhythm playing is even better than his leads.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    fowls wrote:
    The band obviously respect Zeppelin. At the Astoria 06 show Mike tagged Nobody's Fault But Mine onto Yellow Ledbetter and then when he was finished bowed to Robert Plant (who was in the audience). But on the other hand I do think Young and The Who were a much bigger influence, particularly to Eddie, which is why Led Zepp aren't mentioned much in interviews and so forth. Pearl Jam must like a billion different bands, not all of them can be namechecked. If anything, Led Zepp are one of the bands that have had so much of an influence that they don't even need to be mentioned, the music speaks for itself.

yeah I totally agree with this. In the since of zeppelin if you own a radio... you're influenced. It just sneaks in your head.... I'm not sure if they popularized the guitar solo at length in recording... but Led Zeppelin 4 is almost universally known by every guitar player at least and then some in the US by the time they are 25 no matter what music they like. Even if they don't know the names or the songs... they know the riffs.

The thefts of blues greats by most of the great 60's and 70's bands brought a lot of them into prominance, it didn't preclude them from writing thier own great stuff, but they certainly put some spice on an old but great simple music idea. So many people talk about Pearl Jam ripping off this or that. Immitation is the greatest form of flattery. There will be inspirations from all the music you hear in your own music and certainly almost anyone with ears in ear shot of a radio at least in the modern world has heard zeppelin.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JackieboyJackieboy Posts: 78
    In the Guitar World Legends mag there is an old Riot Act-interview in which they talk about Zeppelin and say that they like their sound alot and can't believe they made as many albums as the legendary band. Jeff goes on to bash Page & Plant for not playing with Jones and says that Jones is the greatest. I think that's about it =)
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    Ed dedicated "Given to Fly" to Robert Plant?? lmao. I guess he damn well should since "Given to Fly" is a complete rip-off of Zep's "Going to California".

but hey, Zep has ripped off quite a few people in their day too, so what are ya gonna do?
    Well there was that show they played with Plant a few years ago. Plant sang Going to California with the band and then they played Given to Fly. Zep's joked about it before.

BTW, if anyone has that boot I'd love to hear those cuts.. :)

"Make our day"
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    BTW, if anyone has that boot I'd love to hear those cuts.. :)

it's on youtube
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    MLC2006 wrote:

He said "he wrote it" when he dedicated it to him :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    it's on youtube
    o0

"Make our day"
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    I was just thinking about this the other day.
    I could see them doing a cover of a zeppelin song.
    Could you imagine a Dazed and Confused jam??
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas