What do you appreciate more..........

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
A great riff to a song or a great solo?
Obviously both are important to a great song but if you had to choose which one you appreciate listening to more would be the riff of a song or the solo?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the riff and/or the actual structure and musicality of the song, easily.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    exhausted wrote:
    +1
    no question.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    In saying that the both of you so far appreciate the riff and song structure more than the solo........do you guys appreciate Stone more than Mike McCready as a guitar player?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Riff/Melody for sure.

But sometimes, a solo takes the song to the next level (Comfortably Numb).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Jam10 wrote:
    In saying that the both of you so far appreciate the riff and song structure more than the solo........do you guys appreciate Stone more than Mike McCready as a guitar player?
    i love mike, but if i could be any member of pearl jam it would be riffmeister gossard.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Jam10 wrote:

yes.

but in saying that, i'll say that it's not due to any differences in talent or anything. i just always dig the rhythm guitar. i can't identify with lead players as i can't play lead.
    just to expand more, there's a bunch of great lead players out there, but gossard is one of the greatest riffmeisters ever. his creativity does it for me. he is up there with hetfield and page in my books.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Keep in mind Stone also solos on a ton of songs...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 137
    Mcready and Gossard are a two headed monster their contrast of styles gives them their sound....I wouldn't want to think of the band without either one.

When I watch em though I tend to watch mike more....
    This guy wouldn't know magesty if it bit him in the face- Strong bad

www.myspace.com/lastgeneration56
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 137
    next time i'll try and use some punctuation.
    This guy wouldn't know magesty if it bit him in the face- Strong bad

www.myspace.com/lastgeneration56
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,168
    i am a rhythm player. in stating that i am saying that to me the riff and song structure are paramount. i used to love the soloing aspect from the masters like clapton, page and van halen when i was younger before i became a guitar player. to me the riff and song structure are the basis of the songs, and if there were no riff then there would be no 98 bar solos. the funny thing is since i have become an accomplished rhythm player and writer i now seldom see a need for a solo of any kind, and i can not even listen to any van halen or "virtuoso" tracks because the impression i get is that "the song exists to build in around the solo," when in all actuality the solo exists because of some juicy riff or rhythm. now i can barely tolerate listening to some old albums due to the "check me out" attitude of the lead players. that would probably explain why vitalogy or no code are my favorite records as opposed to the albums featuring majorly long guitar solos.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • exhausted wrote:

Exactly
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    I love a good solo. But it needs to feel right. Solos that are forced are just lame. Good example is Cordoroy, the build up to the solo is intense
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Really, it's a peculiar question.

I prefer a great riff under a great solo, or do I prefer a great solo played over a great riff ??

Someone once asked me "who is your favourite character in Lord of the Rings" ? I had no answer, other than , I don't really approach it that way. They all serve the story.

Even thinking about this question raises the idea of a separation between "rhythm" and "lead" guitar, which is an unhelpful nonsense.
    Play a non-rhythmic solo, and it's not music, just noise.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    riff
    playing a great solo is easy, thinking of a great riff thats catchy is one of the hardest things to come up with
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go