New Band

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm in a new band and I need some advice. This band is a portuguese band so they play a lot of polkas and portuguese music but they also play a lot of english music. I am portuguese myself but I never listen to portuguese music. I have to learn about 15 songs in less than a month because our first gig is on May 24th and I'm the only guitar player in the band so I have to play some lead as well but I have only been playing for about 2 years so it takes me time to learn songs especially songs that I have never heard before. It's not like I can play 6 hours a day for the next month, I have a full time job, I'm married and I have a 1 year old. Do you guys think I should play in this band? Even though it's music I don't generally play do you think I'll be a better player by playing in this band? I just need some advice on how to approach your first gig and the best way to learn material fast. All the other band members have been playing together for about 4 years and they already know the material for this gig. They're just waiting for me to learn all the material. The pressure is on.

Thanks guys!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Work your ass off if you have to and do it. Sounds like a great opportunity.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • yeah maybe it's a great opportunity ..but It's to difficult to learn 15 songs in a few days ...say no
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i've tried on at least two occasions to fit into bands that were "not my style" and a bit outside my comfort zone and both times i thought i would rise to the challenge and become a better player and expand my horizons...and neither band worked out for me. both times it was because i wasn't playing exactly what the leader of the band wanted and they or i got frustrated with it. and i really am more of a rock "feeling" player, not a session player who can bust out any style at any time. and i've learned to work with that instead of deny it.

having said all that, what the hell - its worth a try! learm from YOUR mistakes, not mine!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give it a try. They said they like what they saw so far. I really want to play in a band so here is my chance.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i've tried on at least two occasions to fit into bands that were "not my style" and a bit outside my comfort zone and both times i thought i would rise to the challenge and become a better player and expand my horizons...and neither band worked out for me. both times it was because i wasn't playing exactly what the leader of the band wanted and they or i got frustrated with it. and i really am more of a rock "feeling" player, not a session player who can bust out any style at any time. and i've learned to work with that instead of deny it.

having said all that, what the hell - its worth a try! learm from YOUR mistakes, not mine!

I had a similar experience. I guy I knew asked me to play in his band which he described as Southern Rock. I love the Allmans and Skynyrd, so I said sure. When I played with them, it was actually mostly country, which I despise. I stuck it out for a few rehearsals and one gig, but I didn't fit in well. Even thought the music was not technically difficult at all, I could just never get a good feel for most of it. I did enjoy playing a rocked up version of Folsom Prison Blues, though. Johnny Cash is an exception to my dislike of country music (although I don't really consider him to be country - I'd say he's more like a folk singer).

Still, I'd say give it a shot. Can't hurt your playing to try something new.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Jam10 wrote:
    I'm in a new band and I need some advice. This band is a portuguese band so they play a lot of polkas and portuguese music but they also play a lot of english music. I am portuguese myself but I never listen to portuguese music. I have to learn about 15 songs in less than a month because our first gig is on May 24th and I'm the only guitar player in the band so I have to play some lead as well but I have only been playing for about 2 years so it takes me time to learn songs especially songs that I have never heard before. It's not like I can play 6 hours a day for the next month, I have a full time job, I'm married and I have a 1 year old. Do you guys think I should play in this band? Even though it's music I don't generally play do you think I'll be a better player by playing in this band? I just need some advice on how to approach your first gig and the best way to learn material fast. All the other band members have been playing together for about 4 years and they already know the material for this gig. They're just waiting for me to learn all the material. The pressure is on.

Thanks guys!

Try it anyway. The only way to get faster at learning stuff is to make yourself do it with a looming deadline. :p:)

I break projects up in a systematic way....how many days do I have between here and there? how much do I need to accomplish each day to be ready?...
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    justam wrote:
    Try it anyway. The only way to get faster at learning stuff is to make yourself do it with a looming deadline. :p:)

I break projects up in a systematic way....how many days do I have between here and there? how much do I need to accomplish each day to be ready?...

Yes yes and yes! :)

DO IT, MAN!!!

There is no faster way to get your butt in gear than having some pressure on you! :D Well, me, anyway!

I used to make a living playing guitar, travelling with bands or singer songwriters, or emergency guitarist when a band had a meltdown.
    It's really a great way to sharpen yourself. I found I had to sort of "live" the music if I didn't know it well. Put everything else away and just hear the songs you need to learn.
    Another important thing is that less is more! If you're unsure of what you're playing on stage, just back off and no one will know. The drummer and bassist are really carrying the tune and if you get lost, just quit playing and find yourself and get right back in there when you feel it.

The most important things are to be in time, in tune, and in tone.

If you mess up a note,,,, that note is gone. Don't try to chase it and replay it out of context. Just keep the timing of your playing in the pocket and move on.
    Keep that guitar in tune, and also,,,, when you get nervous and excited onstage, keep your head and wits about you and play with as much finess as you can. When people get excited they tend to start grinding into the strings and playing too hard and you lose your tone.

If you're doing any solos, keep them short and in your comfort zone and if you get lost or bone a solo, try to have a set of notes to fall back on to get yourself back into the groove.

Remember, too, when you're standing there and thinking, "Holy S***, I'm completely out of my comfort zone, I'm out of my league!" That's normal.
    I've stood on stage with some people and wondered to myself,,,,,, in the immortal words of David Byrne:

How????,

Did I GET HERE?

:D

Rock it out man, and have fun!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

DO IT, MAN!!!

There is no faster way to get your butt in gear than having some pressure on you! :D Well, me, anyway!

I used to make a living playing guitar, travelling with bands or singer songwriters, or emergency guitarist when a band had a meltdown.
    It's really a great way to sharpen yourself. I found I had to sort of "live" the music if I didn't know it well. Put everything else away and just hear the songs you need to learn.
    Another important thing is that less is more! If you're unsure of what you're playing on stage, just back off and no one will know. The drummer and bassist are really carrying the tune and if you get lost, just quit playing and find yourself and get right back in there when you feel it.

If you mess up a note,,,, that note is gone. Don't try to chase it and replay it out of context. Just keep the timing of your playing in the pocket and move on.
    Keep that guitar in tune, and also,,,, when you get nervous and excited onstage, keep your head and wits about you and play with as much finess as you can. When people get excited they tend to start grinding into the strings and playing too hard and you lose your tone.

If you're doing any solos, keep them short and in your comfort zone and if you get lost or bone a solo, try to have a set of notes to fall back on to get yourself back into the groove.

Remember, too, when you're standing there and thinking, "Holy S***, I'm completely out of my comfort zone, I'm out of my league!" That's normal.
    I've stood on stage with some people and wondered to myself,,,,,, in the immortal words of David Byrne:

How????,

Did I GET HERE?

:D

Rock it out man, and have fun!

ok, I don't know ANYTHING about playing any kind of musical instrument.. but what this guy (:D) says, makes total sense. :)

if you go for it, at least you won't have a chance to think of all the "what if's.."
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    That's GREAT advice Who's PearlJam? I really appreciate it. I'll try my best!
    Thanks.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    If you're unsure of what you're playing on stage, just back off and no one will know. The drummer and bassist are really carrying the tune and if you get lost, just quit playing and find yourself and get right back in there when you feel it.

when you get nervous and excited onstage, keep your head and wits about you and play with as much finess as you can. When people get excited they tend to start grinding into the strings and playing too hard and you lose your tone.

every word of this post rings true.

so....DO IT!!

the first few times i played on stage in groups was with groups i had just met, and songs we had only played together once in the back - its a great way to practice stage performing and to become comfortable on stage. no band is perfect, and all bands make mistakes. its about knowing how to react to those mistakes thats important.

Be cool, relax, breathe easily. if you miss something or are late on notes....pull back and let the rest of the band carry you....they can play another bar or half bar and you come back in when you're comfortable....dont overplay the music, the band is there too, and use them to your advantage
    There's some great advice here guys. Thanks!
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Thanks, I'm glad to help!

Well, if you ever need advice to what to do when you mess up on stage,,,,, I"m your man. Nothing like looking over and the leader of the band is looking at you like, "WTF?". :mrgreen:

When you play a lot on stage, you'll be able to pick out the mistakes that other bands are making. Mistakes always are happening, and it's part of the whole thing!

Also!!!! Bring extra strings and a spare guitar if you have one.
    Put new 9 volt batteries in your pedals.
    Make up a little chord/ chorus/ verse sheet for the songs that you're unsure of, too. You can reference it between songs. Write big if it's a dark stage!

You're going to have a blast! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart