Keeley Modded Wah

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anybody have or have played the Keeley modded crybaby? If so what do you think of it? It's fairly pricy so I'm not sure if it's worth that much?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    They're nice, but just get an RMC wah. http://www.realmccoycustom.com/
    Geoffrey Teese makes some of the very best wah's available.
    I especially like his Picture Wah (my FAV), & his Wizard Wah is nice.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I was on the Real McCoy website and I can't find pricing on his wah's. Do you know where I can find pricing?
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You can just check online . . .
    But here's a place that sells them (not that these are the only prices).
    http://www.proguitarshop.com/company.php?CompanyID=15
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    They're nice, but just get an RMC wah. http://www.realmccoycustom.com/
    Geoffrey Teese makes some of the very best wah's available.
    I especially like his Picture Wah (my FAV), & his Wizard Wah is nice.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

Totally agree witht his.
    I have a Pic wah cost about $180 I think in Santa Monica. I had a minor switching issue with it I mentioned on a forum, and Geoff Teese picked up on it , PMed me, and sent me a new part so quick it made my head spin.
    If you get one of the other ones with more adjustemtnbs, you will just end up making it sound like the Picture wah anyway, so just go to that.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the picture wah. What is an Italian wah? How is that wah different from other wah's like the crybaby?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Jam10 wrote:
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the picture wah. What is an Italian wah? How is that wah different from other wah's like the crybaby?

I'm guessing that "Italian" wah refers to a wah that emulates the early Vox wahs that were originally manufactured in Italy. Could also indicate that the inductor is actually sourced in Italy with the same vintage-model specs (Fasel).

Class, let's begin:

The owners of the Vox company, way back in the late 60's, started the whole wah pedal craze. They sourced the manufacturing from a supplier in Italy. The wahs were introduced as the "Clyde McCoy" model in conjunction with an endorsement deal with the famous trumpet player. The pedal was marketed as an electronic alternative to the wah-mute methods used by trumpet players. The earliest models were printed with a picture of Clyde on the bottom. The following models featured his signature rather than the picture. After a few years, McCoy ceased his affiliation with the pedal, most likely because it wasn't being used by woodwind, reed, and brass players, but rather guitarists. Vox changed the name of the wah to the "Cry Baby", because of the faux-human sound of the wah. They let the brand name lapse, leading to a bunch of manufacturers to release their own Cry Baby's, before Jim Dunlop and co. picked up the name.

So, that's where we get the names "Picture Wah", "Real McCoy", "Cry Baby"...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah MIG I'm still looking for the pedal that will replicate charlie brown's teachers voice Clyde Mccoy Smlide Mccoy... where is My Kid Ory model??? huh???? :D

Totally agree though, the Pic Wah is the balls.

I've liked everything else I have received from Keeley though so I'm sure he did a good job with the wah too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Totally agree witht his.
    I have a Pic wah cost about $180 I think in Santa Monica. I had a minor switching issue with it I mentioned on a forum, and Geoff Teese picked up on it , PMed me, and sent me a new part so quick it made my head spin.
    If you get one of the other ones with more adjustemtnbs, you will just end up making it sound like the Picture wah anyway, so just go to that.

Teese is the man. I have a pic wah, love it.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I have a Picture Wah as well. Great Wah. I have a couple of Keeley pedals and agree he is the bee's knees, however, I've read some disappointing things about his wah mod, and I wasn't particularly impressed when I tried one out at 30th street guitars in manhattan. Keeley mods ARE fantastic but the wah doesn't seem to be his strongest.
    Thanks that helps out a lot! I got some pricing on the Real McCoy picture wah. It's $199 canadian. I hope it's worth every penny. Especially because I can't try any out before buying it. No one around here carries them in stock.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    The picture wah has a very throaty sort of sound. I love mine but I would say that it has a very specific sound so you might not want to buy totally blind. Try emailing Teese and checking the "Which wah is right for you?" part of his site before you buy. You might not be able to try one out first, but Geoff has plenty of experience trying to decide which wah to recommend based on the questions he's asked. One of his wah pedals is also insanely customizable (think its the RMC3) which might be a safer buy blind... though it will never *quite* sound like the picture wah (different inductor material) it gets darn close.

Someone mentioned Wilson wahs in an earlier wah thread here on the board:

http://www.wilsoneffects.com/Standardwah.html

They seem interesting.

Don't get me wrong btw, I have a picture wah and I love it. The thing is, part of it's beauty is it's straight up simplicity. It is what it is, so you might want to do a little more research before taking the plunge to make sure it seems like the right wah for you.
    I just e-mailed Real McCoy and I am looking forward to hearing back from Mr. Tesse.