Guitars on walls or stand???

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well I finally just finished my soundproof music room and I got the basement all cleaned up after all the construction so it's finally time to bring down all my gear into its new home. I'm super excited to be jammin in this room. I can now jam at all hours of the night without disturbing anyone.
So I was thinking.......should I mount my guitars on the wall or sould I buy a guitar stand that holds multiple guitars??? If I decide to buy a stand that holds 5 - 7 guitars are there any that you guys recommend that are really good and stable? If I decide to mount them on the wall do you recommend the Hercules mounting kits?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jam10 wrote:
    Well I finally just finished my soundproof music room and I got the basement all cleaned up after all the construction so it's finally time to bring down all my gear into its new home. I'm super excited to be jammin in this room. I can now jam at all hours of the night without disturbing anyone.
    So I was thinking.......should I mount my guitars on the wall or sould I buy a guitar stand that holds multiple guitars??? If I decide to buy a stand that holds 5 - 7 guitars are there any that you guys recommend that are really good and stable? If I decide to mount them on the wall do you recommend the Hercules mounting kits?

I prefer stands, I will line them up, and grab as I need, I just put them back in thier case when I'm done.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    I keep my 3 on a stand. There's just something about hanging them up on the wall that makes me a little nervous. All I can think of is one of them crashing down.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I keep my 3 on a stand. There's just something about hanging them up on the wall that makes me a little nervous. All I can think of is one of them crashing down.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. It looks cool on the wall but I would always be worried about it crashing down. Plus I really don't want to be putting too many extra holes in my walls and guitars look really cool all lined up on a stand as well. I think I made up my mind, now I just have to find the proper stand!
  • Stands. I once saw someone's acoustic fall from the wall and shatter. Even if you've big solid electrics, I wouldn't chance it.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Stands. I once saw someone's acoustic fall from the wall and shatter. Even if you've big solid electrics, I wouldn't chance it.

Man, I've seen so many Les Pauls and SG's go over off the floor stands on stage too! Wires catching, band members, tripping, haha,,, ok, physical tripping AND mental tripping, and bam, the head breaks off a 58 Les Paul. That's what happened to a lot of them! :(

If you look at an old guitar that had been hanging on the wall for years, you'll see the grooves or scuffs in the finish. Never been a fan of hanging them on the wall. Just don't fall over the floor stands! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Wall hanging isn't really that good for the neck (though most stores seem to hang them), but as mentioned keeping them in stands risks the chance of tripping over them. As far as wall hangers go I personally like sideways hangers that hold the guitar in more of a playing position on the wall (so the weight distribution is mostly off the neck & more on the body). There's pro's & con's for each type of hanger/holder/stand. As far as multiple stands go - I used this stand on stage each night during the last tour, and it seemed to work fine for what it was (I didn't have any issues): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/RockStand-by-Warwick-7Guitar-StandCase?sku=455006
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • moyboymoyboy Posts: 131
    Stands. Definitely. If they can fall either way, why give them an extra 3-4 feet to fall?
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    case...
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i say keep them in the case....i've often thought of displaying my guitars in my apartment to "decorate" and impress guests with my collection, but i always end up deciding against it cuz:

- they'll collect dust

- people will be tempted to touch them, and end up dropping them

- they could fall over in any other way

- i'm secure enough that i don't need to display my expensive toys and announce "look at me, i'm a musician" (besides, i can announce that in conversation, no need for visual aides!)...although i know you're mounting them in a downstairs music room, not as showy as doing in in your living room

just my 2 cents
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Wall hanging isn't really that good for the neck (though most stores seem to hang them), but as mentioned keeping them in stands risks the chance of tripping over them. As far as wall hangers go I personally like sideways hangers that hold the guitar in more of a playing position on the wall (so the weight distribution is mostly off the neck & more on the body). There's pro's & con's for each type of hanger/holder/stand. As far as multiple stands go - I used this stand on stage each night during the last tour, and it seemed to work fine for what it was (I didn't have any issues): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/RockStand-by-Warwick-7Guitar-StandCase?sku=455006

Yeh Ian that's the one I was looking at. Thanks. I'm glad you like it and never had a problem with it.
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i say keep them in the case....i've often thought of displaying my guitars in my apartment to "decorate" and impress guests with my collection, but i always end up deciding against it cuz:

- they'll collect dust

- people will be tempted to touch them, and end up dropping them

- they could fall over in any other way

- i'm secure enough that i don't need to display my expensive toys and announce "look at me, i'm a musician" (besides, i can announce that in conversation, no need for visual aides!)...although i know you're mounting them in a downstairs music room, not as showy as doing in in your living room

just my 2 cents
    Actually I'm secure as well and I don't need to show them off. And besides I'm pretty much the only one going into my jam room 90% of the time except when buddies come over to jam and they see my guitars all the time so who do I really have to impress ..........my wife (:
    Jam10 wrote:
    Actually I'm secure as well and I don't need to show them off. And besides I'm pretty much the only one going into my jam room 90% of the time except when buddies come over to jam and they see my guitars all the time so who do I really have to impress ..........my wife (:
    oh yeah, that may have come out the wrong way, i didn't mean you are doing it to show off, i meant thats one of the reasons i haven't hung them in my living room....i live in an apartment, so thats really the only place i could hang them!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Stands.

Wall hanging seems very Jesse Katsopolis to me
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    Stands.

Wall hanging seems very Jesse Katsopolis to me
    whats up dude?

you don't wanna hang those guitars somewhere that Kimmy Gibler will knock them down!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    just my 2 cents
    Why do some musicians have this grand idea that just because you play an instrument, 'other' people think you are awesome. I never did get that. Oh well.

jam10,
    Obviously the safest storage is in their cases. In their cases they are protected from dust and accidents and,i guess to some extent, from temperature and humidity fluctuations. The absolute downside is that they are also more out of the way and less likely to get used for a casual tune.

The ones i use most, stay in my stands the majority of the time, unless i am going to be away for any stretch of time, then the ones i'm not taking go away in their cases.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Stands. Ones like the one Ian posted are the way to go. The 3 legged kind in the middle of a room, is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Most of my gits live in their cases, which is best, but I have the ones in use out in a similar stand. THey rotate a bit, some are out a lot, some are out a little
    They will deteriorate more if they arre out of their case for prolonged periods. I know a guy who did the whole galss display case, with humidity control and UV screenign etc, and he quit when he realised how much damage the guitars were copping.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    my cousins living room
    DSC00287.jpg

I think they look nice on wall ;)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • I use the Warwick 'rock stands', where the guitars(in my case basses) are side by side. Like the ones bands use when they tour. I will tell you to keep an eye on that foam rubber they use on most stands though. It can react badly with the finish on the neck, especially if the foam is worn and degraded, or if the guitar is left there for months at a time. It can leave a nasty stain that almost never comes off. I generally lay an old t-shirt over the foam and let the bass neck rest on that, FWIW...
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    oh yeah, that may have come out the wrong way, i didn't mean you are doing it to show off, i meant thats one of the reasons i haven't hung them in my living room....i live in an apartment, so thats really the only place i could hang them!!

No worries man. I wasn't offended. I was just saying that I would like this room to look like a music room. Basically like my own room in our house. I always keep my guitars in their cases and I know that is the best spot for them but if they are right there in front of you it's easier to just grab it and play a tune.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    my vote goes for stands as well... look into one of those professional looking multi guitar stands that folds up into a briefcase look... ya know the ones im talking about? thatd look sharp... and itd be much safer... like someones already said, not just to avoid them dropping, but its also better for the neck of the guitar not to have all the weight supported by the head
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    California Earthquakes + Wall Hangers = Disaster waiting to happen

I'll keep mine in their cases.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Why do some musicians have this grand idea that just because you play an instrument, 'other' people think you are awesome. I never did get that. Oh well.
    yeah, some of us musicians think we are hot shit for playing an instrument...we are commonly refered to as "guys"
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    yeah, some of us musicians think we are hot shit for playing an instrument...we are commonly refered to as "guys"
    I don't really get if you are being sarcastic or not. I wasn't saying you felt like that. I think you may have misunderstood what i was saying.
    i'm kinda being sarcastic, but not in a jerk way (or at least i'm not intending that or intending to get nasty)....i just mean that EVERY guy that plays an instrument, or for that matter plays sports or does ANYTHING thinks he is hot shit and talks it up....i just thought it was funny that YOU can't understand why that would be, cuz maybe girls aren't quite like that....so if i'm making fun of anyone, its myself and guys like me
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i'm kinda being sarcastic, but not in a jerk way (or at least i'm not intending that or intending to get nasty)....i just mean that EVERY guy that plays an instrument, or for that matter plays sports or does ANYTHING thinks he is hot shit and talks it up....i just thought it was funny that YOU can't understand why that would be, cuz maybe girls aren't quite like that....so if i'm making fun of anyone, its myself and guys like me
    Hahaha ok :) I get you now.