Before in a pedal chain

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
When people say place the pedal, ex.(phase) before the (chorus) do they mean before as in closer to the amp or closer to the guitar? What is before and what is after?
Ex. Amp Phase Chorus Guitar
or
Amp Chorus Phase Guitar
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jam10 wrote:
    When people say place the pedal, ex.(phase) before the (chorus) do they mean before as in closer to the amp or closer to the guitar? What is before and what is after?
    or
    Amp Chorus Phase Guitar

Before means closer to the guitar. Signal flows from the guitar, through the chain, and to the amp. So the signal gets to the phaser BEFORE the chorus. You can think of it that way.

Guitar>Phase>Chorus>Amp
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:
    or
    Amp Chorus Phase Guitar

Guitar
    phase
    chorus
    amp

EDIT: sorry GTC we posted at the same time.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Before means closer to the guitar. Signal flows from the guitar, through the chain, and to the amp. So the signal gets to the phaser BEFORE the chorus. You can think of it that way.

Guitar>Phase>Chorus>Amp
    YUP +1
    Your signal runs from guitar to amp, so before is before.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks again guys!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    In case it helps, the chorus is the last pedal in my chain before the delay pedals and my holy grail reverb.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"