Humidity Level

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just moved into a new built home so the humidity levels a kind of all over the place, and I was wondering the perfect humidity level for my guitars and all my gear. Is it between 40% and 50% ?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The optimum relative humidity level is between 45%-55% for stringed instruments.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Guitars like 40 - 50% like they said above, but electronic gear likes dry. Acoustic guitars especially need it, but electrics shouldn't get too dry either.

I used to use Dampits, but now I just use a plastic baggie with a couple of holes in it and a piece of damp sponge and hang it in the sound hole, or in the case somewhere. Don't get the sponge too wet, just enough to keep a little humidity in there.
    Keeping an acoustic in the case is best if there are wide humidity swings in the house. Winter is the worst on instruments because the relative humidity is low when the heat's on, but REALLY bad is a lot of changes in humidity because it causes a lot of expansion and contraction and can crack an acoustic.
    You know if an electric is dry when the frets all the sudden are sticking out of the side of the fretboard. Rehumidifying can bring it back to normal most of the time.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart