Battery Corrosion

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just received my pedal that I bought off E-bay, which was filthy when I received it and then what pissed me off even more is the battery corrosion that was left in the battery compartment. I couldn't believe it. Who the hell would sell a product and ship it with fu*ck*n battery corrosion. Some people just don't make sense. Once I contacted the seller he goes on to tell me that I damaged the pedal so I can get a full refund and that he never used the batteries, he always used an AC adaptor. I took 2 pictures of the pedal and asked him to explain the batteries in it and the corrosion in the compartment. I asked him for a full refund and he won't give me one, then I asked him for a partial refund if I keep the pedal. When I purchased the item on e-bay he told me that the only signs of use are the saved loops on the pedal. He told me it is 10 months old. I give it about a 5 or 6 in cosmetics. How does that happen in 10 months. Anyways it's an ongoing battle right now with this guy.
So I guess my question is......what is the best way to clean battery corrosion without ruining the pedal? If he doesn't end up giving me a refund then I'll have to keep the pedal and clean it.
I put a claim into paypal, and hopefully I'll win the case.

What are your thoughts!
Sorry for ramblin on, I'm just venting right now!
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Jam10 wrote:
    I just received my pedal that I bought off E-bay, which was filthy when I received it and then what pissed me off even more is the battery corrosion that was left in the battery compartment. I couldn't believe it. Who the hell would sell a product and ship it with fu*ck*n battery corrosion. Some people just don't make sense. Once I contacted the seller he goes on to tell me that I damaged the pedal so I can get a full refund and that he never used the batteries, he always used an AC adaptor. I took 2 pictures of the pedal and asked him to explain the batteries in it and the corrosion in the compartment. I asked him for a full refund and he won't give me one, then I asked him for a partial refund if I keep the pedal. When I purchased the item on e-bay he told me that the only signs of use are the saved loops on the pedal. He told me it is 10 months old. I give it about a 5 or 6 in cosmetics. How does that happen in 10 months. Anyways it's an ongoing battle right now with this guy.
    So I guess my question is......what is the best way to clean battery corrosion without ruining the pedal? If he doesn't end up giving me a refund then I'll have to keep the pedal and clean it.
    I put a claim into paypal, and hopefully I'll win the case.

What are your thoughts!
    Sorry for ramblin on, I'm just venting right now!
    Thanks

psshh, good 'ol ebay. dude i wish i could give you a direct answer but this never happened to me. most logical thing would seem to get a very slightly damp cloth and whipe all the nasty shit out without touching any of the important components.

what pedal is it by the way?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    It's the Boss RC 20XL. I thought musicians on e-bay had respect and took care of each other. I bought an MXR Phase 90 last week from e-bay. We'll see how that one goes. I heard baking soda works good for battery acid but I don't want to ruin any of the electronic components. I just hope paypal awards me a full refund. I don't think the guy meant to do this but at least do something about this now instead of accusing me of doing this to the pedal. I can't believe some people.
    Jam10 wrote:
    It's the Boss RC 20XL. I thought musicians on e-bay had respect and took care of each other. I bought an MXR Phase 90 last week from e-bay. We'll see how that one goes. I heard baking soda works good for battery acid but I don't want to ruin any of the electronic components. I just hope paypal awards me a full refund. I don't think the guy meant to do this but at least do something about this now instead of accusing me of doing this to the pedal. I can't believe some people.

yea this really is ridiculous. i don't know how someone can do that. would it really take THAT MUCH for him to clean it? yeeesh. however, i've ordered maaany pedals off of ebay and never had a problem.
    It's just my luck. This is the pedal that I really wanted, especially to practice lead and basically jam with. I should have just bought this pedal new. Do you buy used pedals or new pedals off ebay?
    Jam10 wrote:
    It's just my luck. This is the pedal that I really wanted, especially to practice lead and basically jam with. I should have just bought this pedal new. Do you buy used pedals or new pedals off ebay?

used. never had a problem.
    Yeh I generally hear good things about musicians buying stuff off ebay. Hopefully the MXR phase 90 will be in good shape!
  • I had that happen, use come hydrogen peroxide and you'll be okay.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    used. never had a problem.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Jam10 wrote:
    Didn't you PM me about the RC20 asking what I thought about ebay . . .
    If I remember correctly I think I said that I hated E-bay, and don't use it (and this is a prime example of why).
    I’ve just known to many people that have been screwed over by private sellers on buy-my-shit-BAY.
    People can sell you their shit, and there's basically not much you can do about it (other than put in a claim and hope for the best).
    Sorry to hear that you got screwed over (hopefully you'll buy used from a reputable dealer, or new when you can from now on).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I've found a great place to do business is thegearpage.net

Really helpful and reliable people, very few incidents of deals gone bad.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sometimes that can occur during shipping if it's overseas. More than likely he knew nothing about it if he didn't open the case.

You can clean it up. I used my deoxit on my badly corroded tuner the other day and it cleared it right up. Hydrogen peroxide and a wire brush will probably work too just try not to let the liquid inside the case.

more than likely he was using an adaptor and didn't open the battery compartment. Due to the fact that these are made as cheaply as possible, they also ship with shitty batteries and then sit on a shelf in a store or warehouse for who knows how long, it's more common than you might believe, sorry for the trouble. I think you'll be ok though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Were the batteries in the compartment when you got it?

(You made me go check mine because I never even opened the compartment on mine!) When new, they don't ship with batteries in the holder for that reason, so the seller must have put them in. Maybe he forgot about it as an honest mistake, but he should acknowledge that anyway.

Is the corrosion bad enough that the metal is soft where the batteries sit? If it's still hard metal, then a q-tip and some electronics cleaner then maybe some fine sandpaper will shine up the metal so it makes good contact again and you'll be fine. If you get it shiny, then blow out the dust with some canned air.
    I've never used batteries in mine anyway. Loopers and delays suck up batteries like anything, and you're best off with an adapter.

The only bad experience I've had on Ebay was a guy who shipped me a bad G&L Legacy. I was nice about it and tried to negotiate the fact that I'll repair it if he pay for a new bridge and he blew me off.
    Then I saw the return address and he lives up the street from an old friend of mine in Connecticut. My friend went to his house and asked for $100 and he gave it to him!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Nice. He probably thought your friend was the hitman! :D

This world is way small!

No, my friend doesn't look like a hit man by any means,,,, (Ok, well, I really don't know what a hit man looks like, I guess) but he already knew him anyway and threatened to not supply him with South American wine anymore.
    Pull the booze away,,,, and I get my money! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart