Boss AC 3

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What are your thoughts on the Boss AC 3 acoustic simulator? Or are there any other really good acoustic simulator pedals out there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DON'T GET THE BEHRINGER!!! It's the WORST acousitc sim ever. I kinda like at AC-3 but honestly, use an acoustic or get fishman pickups. The AC-3 leaves a lot out that acoustics have.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I personally haven't found any of the A/C's to be very good (especially at performance volumes).
    Just get a good EQ box and you can do relatively the same thing.
    Or better yet, just bring an acoustic to the gig.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    I have the AC 2 and I do like it but, as everyone has said so far, nothing beats the sound of a real acoustic.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • I have an AC-2 and it was pretty good for my purpose at the time.

It sounds a bit like acoustic if you tweak it to your guitar, but never will replace an acoustic. I wouldn't record with one, either, but for me it was great in a loud live band when you're slipping in some acoustic guitar here and there.
    No need to mike an acoustic while the drums and bass are making all that noise! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I have a Roland Cube amp that has different settings and one of them is "acoustic". it is actually made, or used with permission, by Boss so I assume it's about the same thing. it sounds nothing like an acoustic imo.

as Ian said, you can get a decent acoustic sound with an EQ. I have the MXR 10 band EQ and there is an "AM" setting with the mids up and the bass and treble all the way out. it's kind of like the sound that's played at the very beginning of "Black". it's a pretty decent acoustic sound, though of course not as good as an actual acoustic.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Roland owns Boss, so I'm quite sure they didn't need to get permission (Boss is kind of like the Squier of Fender).

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Kegzy05Kegzy05 Posts: 93
    I recently got the Ac-3 for my birthday, plugged it into my epiphone les paul and was pretty disappointed. But after trying it with my strat i was reasonably happy with it. Except I get sooooo much "hiss" from it at high volumes its not funny.
    "I dont question, our existence
    I just question, our modern needs"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    for $7.50 you can get a neutrik silent plug that will break the circuit when you unplug on stage and then re engage when you plug into your real acoustic.

Or you could try a piezo bridge with a Y cable, but those don't sound as good as the real thing either.

http://www.neutrik.com/content/products/level03.aspx?id=204_826925229&catId=CatMSDE_audio
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.