Sound proofing a room!

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am thinking about sound proofing a room in my basement so I can wail and jam with people any time of the day or night without disturbing anyone. Does anybody have a sound proof room, has anybody done a sound proof room or have any suggestions on how to completely sound proof a room. Approx. how much would it cost to completely sound proof a 15 x 15 foot room? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    To do it properly it's stupidly expensive, even if you can build it yourself. You've gotta basically build a room within a room and it essentially has to be airtight, so there are ventillation considerations, etc. Just do what everyone else does and get as many old mattresses, blankets, bits of foam and whatever else and go nuts.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Carpet is best. The low frequencies are REALLY hard to shield. Just think how far the noise from a doof-doof car travels. GUitars aren't too bad, cos they are mid/high frequency, but bass and drums are really hard to stop.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Or use the styrafoam or mattress padding. It's REALLY cheap to find and it works GREAT
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    if you want carpet, go to lowe's or home depot flooring section and ask to see their remnants rack. there's always some big roll of carpet that was 6 inches too small or the wrong color or the person just didn't like it once they got it that you can now steal for cents per square foot...

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    As "biffhardon" said, "it's expensive to do properly", but you can cut some corners.
    I helped a buddy build a small studio, so we utilized a cheaper way to get relatively the same effect.
    All you really need to do is float the room - You need a pocket of air between the walls (hence float
    the room), so for practicality you can initially get away with using 2X4's and plywood.
    If you can get those little rubber brackets for 2x4's that go between the wood and 2x4 (which in essence cushions
    the 2x4 so no wood is actually touching anything - this really helps with vibration - I'd recommend it).
    I'd also tell you to put some kind of insulation in the empty spaces between the original wall and new one (for sound dampening).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Egg Cartons!!!!!Cover your walls with empty egg cartons. Seriously. It's great for home jobs.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    that eggcrate mattress foam stuff. it works great, and comes in huge rolls for very little $.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go