Yellow Ledbetter solo?

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does Yellow Ledbetter's solo start in the minor blues scale pattern #1 in the key of C# and is it also played out of Major scale pattern #3 in the key of E?
Sorry if this question doesn't make sense, but I am trying to learn the solo and I am also trying to really understand it. I think the more you understand what the artist is thinking or doing the easier it is to learn the solos.
What key is the solo in?
Is Yellow Ledbetter, including the solo a beginner, intermediate or advanced song?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• id call it intermiediate
  • C# Minor is the same as E Major. The key is E, however, based on the E chord. The majority of the solo is played in the G Form of the E minor scale.

e--9----12
    B -9----12
    G -9--11
    D -9--11
    A--9--11
    E--9

I'd call it a beginner solo, but intermediate for players overall. For a solo, it's easy, but for playing in general, it's intermediate.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    C# Minor is the same as E Major. The key is E, however, based on the E chord. The majority of the solo is played in the G Form of the E minor scale.

e--9----12
    B -9----12
    G -9--11
    D -9--11
    A--9--11
    E--9

I'd call it a beginner solo, but intermediate for players overall. For a solo, it's easy, but for playing in general, it's intermediate.

Correct-a-mundo !!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I agree with that. Ledbetter is pretty much just a three chord pattern, but you still have to have good finger technique to nail it.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    they contain the same notes. it's relative majors and relative minors. if the song is in a major key, you go 3 steps back in the chromatic scale to get the relative minor. so since the song is in E Major, you could play the E Major scale or go 3 steps back.....the C# Minor Pentatonic scale. but either way, it's the same notes.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    What do you mean when you say.....the G form of the E minor scale?

So would F# minor pentatonic scale go with A major scale? Are those the same notes as well?

Thanks, I am really trying to understand this.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Jam10 wrote:

So would F# minor pentatonic scale go with A major scale? Are those the same notes as well?

Yes, that's exactly right. F# minor is the relative minor to A major
    Thanks, I think I understand this now. So another example would be.....
    B minor pentatonic scale goes with D Major scale right?
    A minor pentatonic scale goes with C Major scale and so on right?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Jam10 wrote:
    Yep.
    3 semi tones!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jam10 wrote:

Notice how the tab i wrote out is really similar to an Open G chord?

3 0---3
    3 0---3
    0 0--2-
    0 0--2-
    2 0--2-
    3 0----3
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Jam10 wrote:

3 0---3
    3 0---3
    0 0--2-
    0 0--2-
    2 0--2-
    3 0----3

Use this.
  • Jam10 wrote:

3 0---3
    3 0---3
    0 0--2-
    0 0--2-
    2 0--2-
    3 0----3

Use this:
    http://www.highcountryguitar.com/gifs/caged_pentatonics.GIF
  • Jam10 wrote:

3 0---3
    3 0---3
    0 0--2-
    0 0--2-
    2 0--2-
    3 0----3

Use this:
    http://www.highcountryguitar.com/gifs/caged_pentatonics.GIF
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Jam10 wrote:

here's the chromatic scale......

C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B-C

if the song is in a major key, you go BACK 3 semi-tones in the scale for the relative minor (to play the minor scale)

if the song is in a minor key, you go FORWARD 3 semi-tones in the scale for the relative major (to play in the major scale)

that's why when you hear that many famous guitarists have built an entire musical catalogue off just the pentatonic scale, it's true. because you can play virtually any rock solo just follow that rule.

notice that there is no E# or B#

so you are right in both your examples. and if the song were in the key of Aminor, then you could play the solo with either the Am pentatonic scale or the C major scale.
    Thanks, that helps out a lot!
    Here is another neat littel trick tyou can use to understand chords and scales.
    Whatever note you play on teh fifth and sixth strings, where you find the fifth two frets up and one string across, to make teh power chord, teh third, which is the other note in any major chord, is one fret back and one string across, like this.

4 (C#)
    7(E)

5(A)

so the fifith fret on the E string is an A, the fifth to make the power chord is the E, the C# is the third. You can move this formation up and down the neck, and over onto the fifth and 4th strings. Once you have located those notes, it's a snip to find the 4th, 6th and 7th etc using the octave pattern. To find the minor chord, you just flatten the third by a semi-tone.

I find all this really helpful, after I stumbled on this pattern a few months ago.
    Wow that's awesome. Hard to believe that a lot of famous guitarists built their solo's just off of the pentatonic scale using the formula that we have discussed. It doesn't sound too difficult but the hard part is being original and creative.
    Jam10 wrote:
    Wow that's awesome. Hard to believe that a lot of famous guitarists built their solo's just off of the pentatonic scale using the formula that we have discussed. It doesn't sound too difficult but the hard part is being original and creative.

To make a blues scale, you add the flatted fifth. Don't be scared to add the 2nd and 6th, guys like Slash use that full natural scale all the time to play beautiful melodic solos.

Some awesome solos to check this out include all Gilmour's work on DSOTM and Comfortably Numb. Hammett's work on Load uses exactly the same notes all the wat through, to give you an idea of the variety tha is out there.
    Awesome thanks! So most of these solos we hear from Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Slash and Mike McCready are from the pentatonic scale, and then moving it up 3 semitones (3 half steps) to make it a major scale. Sounds like their are endless possibilities with this formula.
    Jam10 wrote:
    Awesome thanks! So most of these solos we hear from Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Slash and Mike McCready are from the pentatonic scale, and then moving it up 3 semitones (3 half steps) to make it a major scale. Sounds like their are endless possibilities with this formula.

Close, but I think you are confusing something.

SAy you have Em pentatonic, starting on the 12th fret, the 15th fret is a G, which is the relative major. The major scale comes back down the neck in the same pattern the minor scale goes up the neck. Does that make sense ? It's easy to make a poor description. The notes are exactly the same.

Rock is pretty much blues speeded up a bit, wiht the I, IV, V progression changed around to different patterns, and all sorts of numbers of bars of eash played.

Here's another trick that lest you take advantage of a guitars stnadard tuning.

Call whatever note you play on the E string the root, or the I. Come to the 5th sring on the same fret, and that is always the 4th (IV), then 2 frets up is the 5th(V).

So a blues progression, or the "bones" of a rock song can be found easily. Just find the root note for whatever key you want and the pattern is always the same.

The simplest song you probably already know that does this is Wild Thing.

Baba O'Rielly is just E, B, A over and over which is I, V, IV. Same thing , different order, no shuffle. I play the E at the 7th fret, an octave above the low E tabbed on GTW, just sounds better on my Les Pauls.

You probably know the Enter Sandman riff, which incorporates the Bb for a jarring sound. Flatted 5th really sound wrong on the ear, and were actually banned in the Middle Ages, known as the Devil's Note, which is why blues is sometimes called the Devil's Music. European emergency vehicle sirens use a tritone, or root to flatted fifth to get that really jarring sound.

ON the solo thinkg, don't forget that the different modes of teh scale also have their own feel, which contributes to a lot of the feel you are getting. It's not just all about that pentatonic box.