Someone told me......

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
As I said in the last post I played a Strat yesterday and while I was at the store playing a few, another guy was there looking at Strats and LP's and he saw me looking and playing Strats and he told me............if you pluck the B string and squeeze the body of the Strat on the bottom you should feel the resonance. Each guitar will resonate differently then the next and the more resonance you feel with your hand the more the guitar will resonate when plugged in. It will basically give you an indication if the guitar you picked up will have good resonance or not. Is this true??? Has anybody heard of this before??
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Jam10 wrote:
    As I said in the last post I played a Strat yesterday and while I was at the store playing a few, another guy was there looking at Strats and LP's and he saw me looking and playing Strats and he told me............if you pluck the B string and squeeze the body of the Strat on the bottom you should feel the resonance. Each guitar will resonate differently then the next and the more resonance you feel with your hand the more the guitar will resonate when plugged in. It will basically give you an indication if the guitar you picked up will have good resonance or not. Is this true??? Has anybody heard of this before??
    Thanks

I have heard that before...not sure if it's true but I have read it somewhere.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Never heard it but I'll have to try it!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    When I bought my semi-hollow I went by resonance (Strum and then pick up the guitar by the body to feel the resonance). On the whole, the better resonating guitars were better quality. Obviously a lot easier to feel in a semi-hollow, but I don't see why the premise wouldn't work for strats. I strummed all the strings though, not sure why the guy said the B string specifically :confused:

But I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone will soon tell me how much of an idiot I am...
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen