Betterman

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just learned how to play Betterman today. It's such a great song and a really fun song to play. I have only been playing guitar about a year and a half and I finally got this song. Do you guys consider this song a beginner song or an intermediate song to play?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Depends. It was on of the first I learned to sing and play along with. The chord progression is easy. It's a good beginner song to learn finger picking with. I'd say it's a beginner one. If you go in terms of Mike's soloing and Jeff's stand up bass style, it's probably tougher. Even further, singing it with the emotion Eddie does, probably a bit tougher. I've nailed it before but that's just my ears along with a few others. To each their own. I'm not anywhere near Ed though. Not trying to sound cocky either, at all.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    The chord progression is easy. The fingerpicked intro is a bit harder, esp if done with the correct hammer-ons etc. I taught myself which took longer than if I had had a tutor.
    It is a very hard song to finger pick and sing at the same time. Like a lot of Ed songs, he does not sing on the beat, which makes it tricky.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I've recently aquired a bass that my Dad has kindly offered to overhaul for me, he's painting it pearlised dark green with a huge Light green Riot Act skull on :cool: With it being my favourite song, I aim for Betterman to be the first thing I learn to play. I'm interested if anyone can let me know how difficult it is or where to get the tab for it?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • I've recently aquired a bass that my Dad has kindly offered to overhaul for me, he's painting it pearlised dark green with a huge Light green Riot Act skull on :cool: With it being my favourite song, I aim for Betterman to be the first thing I learn to play. I'm interested if anyone can let me know how difficult it is or where to get the tab for it?
    Keep in mind, Jeff used his stand up for it. Also, it's played a tad differently from studio to live early versions, to versions we hear now. I don't know where you could fins a correct tab though, sorry. I figured I'd let you know what it's played on though. It might be tough to get the right sound.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

check out ultimate guitar tabs online, good site.

here's one I found on there for you, hope it helps a bit.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/pearl_jam/better_man_btab.htm
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10