What's the most important aspect........

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Of playing guitar? Is it..............
a)creativity
b)technique
c)theory
d)playing by ear
e)song writing
f)talent
g)hard work

I know every one of these mentioned is very important but if you had to pick one, what would it be?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    creativity
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    (g)............... the most talented, creative, perfect pitched players all did a lot of hard work.

or another answer might be "the right hand" ( for righties, that is)
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    creativity

you can have perfect technique but without creativity it's oh so boring.
    Double trouble !!
  • Heart and Soul
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    punk attitude ;):D
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Creativity. All the others you can acquire, but creativity is something you're born with - you either have it, or don't.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • creativity
  • songwriting. seems like a good song would encompass most of the things on the list.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Jam10 wrote:
    Of playing guitar? Is it..............
    a)creativity
    b)technique
    c)theory
    d)playing by ear
    e)song writing
    f)talent
    g)hard work

I know every one of these mentioned is very important but if you had to pick one, what would it be?

I think creativity but it seems to me that if you don't work hard on technique and theory, it's going to be more difficult to be creative. In other words, if you understand the instrument and theory behind music, you can try many things in a knowledgeable way. When I think about this, dominant resolution is always the first thing that comes to mind.

jmo of course...
  • creativity. there's no songwriting without it (no good songwriting anyway).

hard work is a close second.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You can't really have one without a few of the others (or you won't really go that far in this industry).

Creativity + Talent (which usually incorporates Natural Ability and a lot of Hard Work) + Song Writing Ability (which also
    incorporates some Talent and Creativity) + Technique (which usually incorporates a lot of Hard Work and some music Theory).
    Playing by ear isn't a necessity - it's just something you develop over time, but it isnt' as important.
    As I said, you need a combination of a few or you really won't go to far in this industry.

- If you're really creative, but you can't write a song to save your life, forget it.

- If you're really creative, but don't have any talent, and can't play that well because your technique sucks, forget it.

- You can be creative, and talented, and write great songs, and have good technique, but if you aren't willing to put in the
    work, forget it - Most people in the industry will assume that you're lazy and that you think you're better than everyone else.
    They'd rather have someone not as talented or creative if that person is willing to put in the time and hard work.

Remember this the next time you think that being CREATIVE is all it takes.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • They're all related.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    For great music you need em all plus a dollop of angst usually.

My brother was a talented natural musician, but my mother wrote this on a card and stuck it to his piano....

"Talent made a poor appearance, until it married perseverance"
  • For great music you need em all plus a dollop of angst usually.

My brother was a talented natural musician, but my mother wrote this on a card and stuck it to his piano....

"Talent made a poor appearance, until it married perseverance"
    nice quote, made me smile. thanks.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan