Your size pick?

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just a curiousity question on what size picks most of you guys are using. I use the Dunlop Tortex 73mm (yellow) right now. I was using the 88mm (green), then I tried the 73mm and seemed to like it a bit better but I always seem to go back and forth.
What size picks are you guys using?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jam10 wrote:
    Just a curiousity question on what size picks most of you guys are using. I use the Dunlop Tortex 73mm (yellow) right now. I was using the 88mm (green), then I tried the 73mm and seemed to like it a bit better but I always seem to go back and forth.

i like the 88s for acoustics and the slightly lighter ones (yellow and orange) for electric ... although i have a lot of REALLY heavy ones (the 2s ... dark purple) lying around ...

stone and mike are both in that slightly lighter range as well ... yellows and oranges. ;)
    think mike is slightly lighter than stone, playing more lead, and stone strumming harder on rythm, needing a bit more firmness.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • I like to use the heaviest pick I can do picking exercises smoothly with. Right now it's a dunlop 1mm but you can get some cool stuff out of some of those more rounded-edge 2-3mm picks
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Thinner the better for me on guitars. Middle and index finger for bass!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I think Mike uses the 88's and Stone uses the 73's. I would think that a thicker pick would be better for playing lead and a lighter one for rhythm. I prefer to use a little of a lighter pick when playing acoustic.
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I usually buy the orange ones but i come up on all different kinds. I'll use whatever's around really.
    Be excellent to each other
  • Jam10 wrote:
    I think Mike uses the 88's and Stone uses the 73's. I would think that a thicker pick would be better for playing lead and a lighter one for rhythm. I prefer to use a little of a lighter pick when playing acoustic.

actually you are right!
    i was going on color.

But i just felt them,
    and stones is definately lighter.

And it feels like the EV\23 is actualy some how in between Stones and Mikes. But maybe its just an illusion.

Jeffs is still the thickest, though.
    ;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I used the yellow Dunlops for awhile. Now I use them for acoustic mostly. I also have found a new love for the Dunlop Jazz III picks. Not sure what size they are but theyre thicker and smaller and have rounded edge.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I've falling in love with the green Jim Dunlop M-L

They are firm enough to shred on an electric, yet soft enough to delicately strum the acoustic. Great pick!!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Standard: Yellow tortex (.73)
    Acoustic: Orange tortex (.60)
    Heavy songs: Purple tortex (1.14)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Standard: Yellow tortex (.73)
    Acoustic: Orange tortex (.60)
    Heavy songs: Purple tortex (1.14)
    I use the tortex too. These are easily my favorite guitar picks, feel great in my hands don't slip, surface is great, hardly ever break. Depending on what i'm playing i'll either use the yellow (.73), green (.88), or blue (1.0).
  • i just always make sure to get the ones that have the little "bumps" on them for grip.....when i play gigs my hands get sweaty and picks slip and slide right outta my hand......those picks solve that problem!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    no picks for me.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Dunlop JAzz III a lot, also Gator Grip Tortex 0.96 and 1.14 a lot.
    Sometimes I'll use a Mike pick the yellow tortoise Tortex, one that Mike flicked at me, and others I have bought.
    The Jazz III is the best for really fast alt picked lines.
    Strumming I use anything, hybrid picking I like the small size of the JAzz II, easy to move it out of the way.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I guess I'm a minority in here, I use the Dunlop nylon picks exclusively, and have for like 10 years. They have a textured grip that I really appreciate.

I used to play the light ones, .46 and .60 mm. Then I started playing the mediums, .77 and .88 mm. When I started playing bass, I used the 1 mm, and lately I've taken to using the 1 mm with acoustic as well, and I use both the mediums on electric.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I guess I'm a minority in here, I use the Dunlop nylon picks exclusively, and have for like 10 years. They have a textured grip that I really appreciate.

I used to play the light ones, .46 and .60 mm. Then I started playing the mediums, .77 and .88 mm. When I started playing bass, I used the 1 mm, and lately I've taken to using the 1 mm with acoustic as well, and I use both the mediums on electric.
    I use them too, I use the Dunlop nylon 1 mm for electric and acoustic. I've tried a lot of other picks but that's definitely the one for me.

The brother-in-law went to a James Dean Bradfield (Manic Street Preachers) gig and brought me a pick back. To my surprise it was the exact same pick that I use. Nice to have a guitarist's pick, though it was a shame that it wasn't a designer one, who's to actually believe me that it's his pick
    when it's just an ordinary one :)
  • I guess I'm a minority in here, I use the Dunlop nylon picks exclusively, and have for like 10 years. They have a textured grip that I really appreciate.

I've steadily been switching over to the Dunlop Nylon deals. I hated the grip for a while, but got used to it. 0.60 mm's.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I played green dunlops because they were free from GC for a few years... a little thick. The yellow dunlops I also used then I got some of the Ultex ones with the rhino on it which were ok...

Now I'm using Medium Clayton Hula Girls...
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    I pretty much only use Dunlop Jazz III's (1 mm) nowadays. I find they work great for anything!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Jam10 wrote:

I use the yellows too
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Like most, I vary on picks, but pretty much use Dunlop's and somewhere around the .71-.73mm range. I buy the following three picks in bulk all the time:

Dunlop Ultex .73mm (clear yellow)
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/7/4/367374.jpg

Dunlop Gator Grip .71mm (magenta)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=110310&index=2

Dunlop Tortex Standard .73mm (yellow)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=110040&index=3
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Yellow Dunlop Tortex.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I use Dunlop Gatorgrip .96s (purple), but think I might go for the next gauge down next time.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Depends on what's lying around. mig, you're not a minority, I've got a Dunlop nylon with the grip in my wallet right now. :)

For the most part it's Fender medium celluloids, although I have some Fender heavys as well.

I haven't gotten around to it but I'd really like to try the Jazz III pick, you guys who use it really like it? What's so great about it compared to other picks?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Novawind wrote:
    Depends on what's lying around. mig, you're not a minority, I've got a Dunlop nylon with the grip in my wallet right now. :)

For the most part it's Fender medium celluloids, although I have some Fender heavys as well.

I haven't gotten around to it but I'd really like to try the Jazz III pick, you guys who use it really like it? What's so great about it compared to other picks?

I tried them after reading an article in Guitar World about them. They have a dedicated following inc Satch, EJ, Petrucci, Bonamassa, Jim Root, Matt Heafy They are a kinda high performance pick, small and very accurate, allowing very fast alternate picking with an economy of movement. The tip is very firm but rounded, pushing through the string very firmly without getting hung up on it.
    Like all high performance gear, they are a bit unforgiving as well, demanding accuracy from the user. They are good for hybrid picking too, allowing your pick fingers to stay close to the strings to allow the fingerstyle finger a natural motion, without the pick getting caught in the strings at unwanted times. They tuck away in a crook of a finger too. Joe Bonamassa does this a lot, allowing smooth changed from fingerstyle to picked lines.
    I like em for a lot of stuff, but for fast downpicked metal, I still prefer the Gator Grip 1.14 cos they allow me to to get more finger on the pick for a better grip.
    I'm really only fussy about my pick when I am playing difficult things, when I want it to help.
    If I were strumming a Strat with 9's , I would use a much softer pick, the Dunlop nylons mentioned are really good for that. Most time I like a stiff pick that gives it to the strings, letting my wrist/elbow be the softness.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    It really Depends on what style I'm playing . . . I've switched a ton over the years.

- For most Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative-Rock stuff I'm currently using click: Dunlop Gator Grip .71 picks (because I get good snap, and decent squeals and artificial harmonics/pinch-harmonics).
    - I used to use the small click: Dunlop Red Jazz-III picks, and click: 1.5mm White Pickboy Jazz picks for all my Rock, Hard Rock, Alt-Rock work - but this seems to change every couple years.
    And I switch back to the Red Jazz-III every now and then - Supposedly they've started making an click: Ultex version of the Jazz-III, which I'd like to try (if I can find them).

- If I'm playing heavy stuff with a lot of down-picking, I now use a click 1.00mm Pickboy Carbon Nylon EDGE pick. It has a fairly pointy tip (these are made from graphite carbon nylon, & are slightly smaller than standard sized picks, but not as small as the Dunlop Jazz-III) - The attack is sharp, but it retains the defined point and fine edge features appropriate for speed picking - these are fairly stiff, and are great for heavy chunky Metallica-type down-picking, or even shred-type playing.

- For acoustic work I mainly use a click: .58 Dunlop Gator Grip pick.

- For Standard Jazz I use a black Pickboy 1.0mm Pos-A-Grip Graphite Composite (really the most thumb-like sounding guitar pick I've found). Unfortunately I can't find these picks anymore (they've changed), and what I've found listed on websites are NOT the same thing as the old version - the old versions looked like the click: Red Pickboy Pos-A-Grip pick, but the black pick is made from a completely different material (and the black Pos-A-Grip picks with the gold oval on the end are not the same).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫