S - 1 Switching

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What is S - 1 switching?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Pretty much it allows for more pickup combinations, and some of the pickups will work in "series" together. In other words when you strum, one pickup will activate, then the other will after it. It's a pretty cool feature, and it sounds awesome.

here. this expands on what i've already said.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/S-1-Switch.html
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I like the S-1 switching.
    What happens is this: There's a pushbutton switch on the volume knob. When it's out, the 5 way switch works like a traditional strat.
    Position 1 = Neck pickup
    2 = neck and middle pickup in parallel
    3 = middle pickup only
    4= middle and bridge in parallel
    5 is bridge only.

Pickups wired in "parallel" sound weaker but have that "in between" quacky sound on position 2 and 4 that's so hard to describe but what the Strat is famous for doing.

When you push the button in, it adds to those combinations by combining the neck, middle and bridge pickups in different ways, in "series". If you take two single coil pickups and wire them in series, they have a combined power and are more like creating a humbucker. Basically hotter and darker with less treble. There's a "special capacitor" involved which seems so mysterious when Fender says that, but it darkens the tone a bit. When I pulled my pickguard I forgot to see what value it was, and I'll probably forget the next time I pull it, too! :D
    A standard humbucker is like two single coil pickups wired in series.

Haha, I could type all evening trying to explain the switching but here it is:

http://www.fender.com/products/s1/ < Click the Strat at the top.

I like mine, and I'll never change the wiring on it because it's way too complex but adds a lot of sound options to a Strat. It won't make a Strat into a Les Paul but it gives it some power.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    If I may... you start an awful lot of threads. Try searching around on the web little bit first. Example, for S-1 switching, type "S-1 Switching" in google and the first 2 results will tell you all you need to know.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Not to start anything, but I have no problem answering the questions. I know quite a bit about guitars, and I teach a bit, and I like to fix'm and fool around with modding them and build them, and I like to try to help people out a bit and for the 4 1/2 years I've been on this board, I've enjoyed learning from others, too.

It's always been a laid back friendly board here and he's got some questions and sometimes when someone asks questions here, it evokes my thought, and questions may help other people who have questions, too.

I may have started this anyway, because all he did was ask about sanding a neck, and , haha, I think I might have him looking for a whole bunch of guitars now! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    GivenToCarve.......I like to ask a lot of questions here and post a lot of new threads because I feel that a lot of people on this forum know there stuff and a tonne of people have helped me out. Why search the web if I can ask people here. Who knows what's really true on the web anyways. I have only been playing for about 2 years and I am very motivated and have come along way and have learned a tonne from a lot of people here and I'm sure people don't mind helping. That's what this is all about right. What's the big deal about starting new threads anyways, if you don't want to read them then don't. Who's_Pearljam? is right, I'm sure guys like him like to help out and answer questions because they do, and they know there stuff. Yes I am looking at a whole bunch of guitars and I want to make sure I don't rush anything and I make the right purchase and that I know everything about the guitar. I made my decision to keep my LP Studio and not sand the neck and just save up for another guitar and have 2 high end guitars.
    I can't find on the Fender website which Strat has the S-1 switching, so I am going to ask another question, which Strat has the S-1 switching?

Thanks again guys for all your help!
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Jam10 wrote:
    GivenToCarve.......I like to ask a lot of questions here and post a lot of new threads because I feel that a lot of people on this forum know there stuff and a tonne of people have helped me out. Why search the web if I can ask people here. Who knows what's really true on the web anyways. I have only been playing for about 2 years and I am very motivated and have come along way and have learned a tonne from a lot of people here and I'm sure people don't mind helping. That's what this is all about right. What's the big deal about starting new threads anyways, if you don't want to read them then don't. Who's_Pearljam? is right, I'm sure guys like him like to help out and answer questions because they do, and they know there stuff. Yes I am looking at a whole bunch of guitars and I want to make sure I don't rush anything and I make the right purchase and that I know everything about the guitar. I made my decision to keep my LP Studio and not sand the neck and just save up for another guitar and have 2 high end guitars.
    I can't find on the Fender website which Strat has the S-1 switching, so I am going to ask another question, which Strat has the S-1 switching?

Thanks again guys for all your help!

Hey sorry if you got offended. I respectfully made the point... not because I care how many threads you start, but literally just to inform you that there is a lot of good information out there beyond this forum, ie. on company's websites and MusiciansFriend and so on that are explained by techs with years and years and years of experience. Hope I didn't cause any harm...
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    GivenToCarve........no worries man. You didn't offend me at all. I respect you offering me help. I do surf the web and search everything that I want to learn but I just like the opinions of the guys here and I have learned a lot. That's all I'm saying. I hope I didn't offend you with my last post. Sorry if I did.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Jam10 wrote:

So far as I'm aware, the only Strats with S-1 switching are the American Deluxe series. I believe they have a standard S-S-S, an H-S-S, and a V-neck. Unfortunately, they're among the most expensive non-custom-shop models.

I've tried S-1 equipped guitars, and I'm not sold. It gives you more sounds, sure... but none of the sounds seemed like something I would use. I was, however, EXTREMELY impressed by the SCN pickups, which are also (I believe) only available on the American Deluxe models, or as replacement parts. I got mine on eBay and put them in an old Mexi Strat.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    its a pretty sweet type of wiring that brings the pickups from series to parrell. in other words, can add a little more "heft" to the toneof the guitar. im pretty sure theyre only on american deluxe series guitars. ive got a american deluxe ash tele, and i use the feature all the time.
    another plus with the deluxe series is the SCN(samerium(sp) cobalt noiseless) pickups. those things have virtually no hum, and keep a great vintage tone to it. only noiseless pickups ive ever liked.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I'll have to try a Deluxe and see what I think about it.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    So far as I'm aware, the only Strats with S-1 switching are the American Deluxe series. I believe they have a standard S-S-S, an H-S-S, and a V-neck. Unfortunately, they're among the most expensive non-custom-shop models.

I've tried S-1 equipped guitars, and I'm not sold. It gives you more sounds, sure... but none of the sounds seemed like something I would use. I was, however, EXTREMELY impressed by the SCN pickups, which are also (I believe) only available on the American Deluxe models, or as replacement parts. I got mine on eBay and put them in an old Mexi Strat.

ah but you didn't try it in a private room for an hour with a rivera rake head and a Matchless Cheiftan... :D Oh and a Tweed Twin. Covers a lot of ground. I think you can probably do the same mostly with a blender but it's kind of cool and different. I wonder how it would be on a baritone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ah but you didn't try it in a private room for an hour with a rivera rake head and a Matchless Cheiftan... :D Oh and a Tweed Twin. Covers a lot of ground. I think you can probably do the same mostly with a blender but it's kind of cool and different. I wonder how it would be on a baritone.

It's true that I would probably have better things to say if I had run through really nice gear... but then, it may be the rest of the gear I would've liked. A more appropriate eval would be at home with my setup... and maybe I would've come up with a more favorable opinion. My complaint is that, while it did increase output and fatness, it lacked punch and definition. It actually reminded me a bit of the Seymour Duncan Quarter-pounder pickups, which I was also extremely disappointed in.

I'd rather have P-90's, or DeArmond 2000's, or something like that, something that had some edge to it.

I have to qualify that, if not for position 4, I would think Strats are worthless. My opinion, specifically for my playing; I think other Strat players do great things. My Strat has a Hot Rails bridge, so I have position 1 and position 4, and I'm satisfied. If I want a different flavor, I'll go to my LP or my Tele. If I wanted a guitar that had a mess of options, I'd get another Variax.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.