Les Paul...Fender Strat....or Fender Tele?

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know it's everyone's personal opinion but I was just curious on which guitar out of the 3 that most people on this forum would choose. I have a Les Paul and I absolutely love it. I will always keep it but I would like a Strat or Tele or both along with another Les Paul one day. Which out of the 3 would everyone choose and why?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've got Les Paul blood running through my veins. Not literally, of course. :D I'm quite fond of Teles as well, but a LP will always be my main axe.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'm a Strat man.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    I'm a Strat man as well. Eager to get a Tele too, once I get the $$$'s.

As you can tell, I'm a Fender Man overall
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    PRS - I don't own one any more, but it's the best of both (Strat/LP) worlds.
    If I could only choose 1 out of those 3 guitars, it'd be a Les Paul Standard.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    American Tele!
  • tele :)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I'd love to own all three. I love Les Pauls and would really like to get one, though recently I've had more of an urge to get a tele. I own a strat though and I love that guitar. Not that strats are necessarily my favourite guitar, though when I was younger most of my favourite players played them so that's why I got one. That guitar just feels so right for me, it's not so much the sound I get from it but the feeling from it when I hold it.

If I had no guitar and went to buy one today it would either be a Tele or a Les Paul.
  • The Les Paul....If it has P-90's in it!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Strat

They just feel right!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I have an Epi LP but to be honest I'm not that bothered with it. It's good an' all but I prefer playing my Epi Dot. Would love a Tele, mainly because it's a totally different sound to the Dot. Hopefully will make a custom Tele when I can afford it. Warmoth is extortionate when it comes to sending overseas :(
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    It seems like it's pretty even so far. All 3 guitars are amazing guitars. I would love to own a PRS one day as well. I have a lifetime to collect guitars and that's what I hope to do.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Les Paul for me.

I do want a Tele and later a Strat. But an R9 is #1 on the list.

Fowls..I have an Epi LP and a Gibson LP. I like my Epi....I'm in love with my Gibson. There's no comparison.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Drew263 wrote:
    Fowls..I have an Epi LP and a Gibson LP. I like my Epi....I'm in love with my Gibson. There's no comparison.
    Aye, my Epi is pretty good now I've changed out the pickups, but I'm much in love with semi-hollows these days. I can't really justify buying a Gibson, well unless it was a studio model and they're rubbish.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    fowls wrote:
    I have an Epi LP but to be honest I'm not that bothered with it. It's good an' all but I prefer playing my Epi Dot. Would love a Tele, mainly because it's a totally different sound to the Dot. Hopefully will make a custom Tele when I can afford it. Warmoth is extortionate when it comes to sending overseas :(
    The Dot was the guitar that I thought I would get next, it might well still be, but recently I've just had an overwhelming urge to get a Tele.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Hebejebe wrote:
    The Dot was the guitar that I thought I would get next, it might well still be, but recently I've just had an overwhelming urge to get a Tele.

I really, really want a 52 Reissue Tele but I also want a Taylor acoustic. I don't have an acoustic and my instructor is on my ass about it. He wants to do alternate tuning stuff and is determined to get me to buy one.

I just really, really like that 52 Tele. :eek:
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    To hard to decided since I own an LP Studio and a Strat. I guess it depends what mood I'm in. Love 'em both.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Drew263 wrote:
    I really, really want a 52 Reissue Tele but I also want a Taylor acoustic. I don't have an acoustic and my instructor is on my ass about it. He wants to do alternate tuning stuff and is determined to get me to buy one.

I just really, really like that 52 Tele. :eek:
    You gotta love those teles, just so damn cool.

Having said that, there IS something about a Strat with me, they just sit right. As much as I want to love the other guitars, nothing sits on me like a Strat.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    If price is not an issue, I'd take a Les Paul because it could be an R8, R9 or etc. I guess I'm saying Gibson's high end beats out Fender's high end. If we're talking the sub $2000 range, I'm going with the best tele i can find.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    What is an R8, R9 etc.?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    All 3?

I have a 57 Gold Top Reissue that is amazing, as well as two Strats that I love.

I still want to get a Tele one of these days, restore the Fender to Gibson ratio in my collection back to equal.
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I own a LP R8, a MIM strat and a PRS SC. If you have a Lp, its a tough choice between the Strat and the Tele. I would go for the strat over the tele on personal preference and flexibility.
    OTOH, Ed plays a tele, and Jimmy used one for the early Zep records so there you go!
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Jam10 wrote:
    What is an R8, R9 etc.?

R8 = 1958 Reissue (r= reissue, 8= 1958)

So R7 = 1957 Reissue
    And R9= 1959 Reissue (the holy grail of factory Les Pauls)

Just nicknames
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    moster78 wrote:
    I have a 57 Gold Top Reissue that is amazing,

That guitar is my Holy Grail. Love that guitar. The local music store has one one the wall that I want but I don't have the coin to spring on it. A man can dream, can't he.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Les paul its the shape of the body that does it for me
  • PRS guitars play incredibly smooth. but i find the tone to be soooo incredibly generic.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    My strat is more comfy and versatile, but i love the tone of my tele. Hard to chose.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yep, I have an Epi LP Ultra right now which is sufficient for my skill level. I'd love to get a Gibson VOS R8 someday though. The plain-top doesn't bother me at all, and the price difference between the R8 and R9 is all the more convincing.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    I have an ESP, which I love, a Jackson soloist, which I also love, and Fender Strat, the Texas special, and I love it too. I love Les Pauls, but I refuse to pay the current prices, because I think the current models are not worth money. I am going to buy either and ESP Eclipse, a Heritage (made by some of the original designers of the Les Paul), or a PRS. The only guitar I don't like is the Tele, too bright for my taste.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • MANKINDMANKIND Posts: 218
    go gibson or go home
    Va Beach 08-03-00, Pittsburgh 04-28-03, State College 05-03-03, Hershey 07-12-03, Boston 09-29-04, Reading 10-01-04, Philly 10-03-05, Camden 05-27-06, Pittsburgh 06-23-06, Va Beach 06-17-08, Philly 10-30-09, Philly 10-31-09, Bristow 05-13-10
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    MANKIND wrote:
    go gibson or go home

Well, I guess you leave me no choice....

"screw you guys, I'm going home."
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth