I just played a PRS today.......

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
And what a dream it was to play. Just such a beautiful, versatile great sounding, nice feeling guitar. One of the best guitars I've played. I played a thin neck and it just felt amazing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Jam10 wrote:
    And what a dream it was to play. Just such a beautiful, versatile great sounding, nice feeling guitar. One of the best guitars I've played. I played a thin neck and it just felt amazing.

That's the first guitar I SHOULD HAVE bought. For me, at the time, I was into a heavier sound which is why I went with the Les Paul. I love my LP but I do wish I would have bought a PRS. I've always been a fan of those guitars.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I'm prepared to get a storm of negative responses but, honestly, PRS's are overrated...not like the 2007-2008 Michigan State Spartans basketball team, but still overrated. There's better quality out there for a cheaper price.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I'm prepared to get a storm of negative responses but, honestly, PRS's are overrated...not like the 2007-2008 Michigan State Spartans basketball team, but still overrated. There's better quality out there for a cheaper price.

Godin > PRS for 1/3 of the price

EDIT: I should explain that more clearly. Im not saying higher end Godins are necessarily better than all PRS. I think Godin is just as comfortable to play, MUCH more versatile, and 1/3 of the price. They look pretty good as well, but PRS has much more finishes and a sexier body style.

I don't find PRS to be versatile at all. They tend to have 1 very recognizable sound, and that's all IMO. Great at what they do, but you have to want to use it for that..
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    stop you're going down a dangerous path...:D

yes they are excellent, do not play a Hollowbody 2 do not play a DGT.

do not under any circumstances go with your Strat lust look at a Suhr and think... hey maybe I should try that. It leads to empty wallets happy hands and bleeding ear drums.

You are in the early throws of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Pacomc79 wrote:

You are in the early throws of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Very dangerous indeed. I went through the same thing with e bay and pedals. Not a pretty thing.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Not really my style. Many other items I'd want to use that kind of money on.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    There lies, somewhere deep inside of me, a burning lust for a single-cut McCarty with soapbars....
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    Godin > PRS for 1/3 of the price

EDIT: I should explain that more clearly. Im not saying higher end Godins are necessarily better than all PRS. I think Godin is just as comfortable to play, MUCH more versatile, and 1/3 of the price. They look pretty good as well, but PRS has much more finishes and a sexier body style.

I don't find PRS to be versatile at all. They tend to have 1 very recognizable sound, and that's all IMO. Great at what they do, but you have to want to use it for that..

i agree with you. i think they have one very bland sound.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I Miss This Guitar Very Much (stolen :() http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/Photo2_ad1db.jpg
    I had it modified after this PIC with LR Baggs Piezo Saddles (for acoustic sounds through the PA board),
    and had it re-wired like a McCarty with a 3-way switch and push/pull coil taps. I truly believe PRS are
    (quite literally) one of the most functionally versatile guitars around (you just have to find the right one
    for you - one that fits your hands the way you want
    ), but if you do, the options are plentiful. I had mine
    shaped for my hands aftermarket by a luthier named Jeff Marple (now in Nashville). When he was done it
    played better than any guitar I've owned (I've owned a ton of guitars in my short career). I toured with
    that PRS for 2 years without much worry, & I was never all that concerned about breaking it, even after I
    dropped it on stage (it was fine). It had a few little scratches on the side, but hey battle scars are all a
    part of playing, and if you're afraid to play your own guitar, why own it - Guitars are meant to be played.
    And my Hollowbody II is incredibly versatile: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/1106E-4.jpg

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i have no interest in those...i'll stick to fenders and gibsons, and i know this is dumb but its probably cuz thats what pearl jam plays...and i know that fenders and gibsons are now all made on assmebly lines and not hand crafted like they were in the good old days and now you are just paying for the name, but damn it, thats what i like!

on a side note, a guy i work with told me he is sitting in with the one and only Les Paul (the man, not the guitar) next monday night in NYC...wondering if i should go see them and bring my les paul (the guitar) to be signed by Les Paul (the man)
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Yeh PRS are extremely amazing but I am in the very early stages of shopping around and trying out as many guitars as I can get my hands on in this next year. I hope to get a new one just after Christmas so I figure I would start my shopping now, do my homework and start elininating ones that I know I don't want and make a list of my top choices. I am now torn between an American Strat, an American Tele, Les Paul Classic 60's neck or a PRS. I played the Godin about 2 weeks ago and they look and play great but it just didn't fit in my hands the way I wanted it to.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I love the idea of PRS guitars, but I have seen very few that I actually like.

Somehow, the whole is so often less than the sum of the parts.

Knobs, hardware and finish seem to clash visually.
    Can't fault teh finish and playability though.
    I would have a HB II as my pick of the bunch.

I don't own one though, have never found one that speaks to me. I have played a few that just didn't bar me up though. I'm sure if I was on a mission, I could find one. It would be VERY exp[ensive thoguh. All the ones I haev seen that I liked, were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Soulless, superficially pretty poser guitars :)

I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those. I'd much rather have a cheap, shitty guitar that's well loved and you can really get your teeth into than some over-polished mantelpiece that you'd be too scared to give a good bashing. I can't imagine what it would be like to play on a stage with one. Crippling most likely.

They sound nice but just nice. There's no bite to them and they are VASTLY overpriced.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Don't listen to these guys... PRS's fucking rule!! I can get any tone I want through my McCarty... just a matter of choosing the right effects and amp. I love that guitar... more than any of my others.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Ive played a 513 on more than one occassion and there's no doubt they are very cool indeed. When it's tweaked right the tone is just incredible.

I still have a problem with paying that much extra for a guitar though. But that's just me. I don't think anyone could deny that PRS guitars are beautiful, the craftmanship is awesome, and they are sexy, sexy beasts.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Soulless, superficially pretty poser guitars :)

I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those. I'd much rather have a cheap, shitty guitar that's well loved and you can really get your teeth into than some over-polished mantelpiece that you'd be too scared to give a good bashing. I can't imagine what it would be like to play on a stage with one. Crippling most likely.

They sound nice but just nice. There's no bite to them and they are VASTLY overpriced
    Ridiculous . . . probably hasn't even played one.
    Trailer wrote:
    Don't listen to these guys... PRS's fucking rule!! I can get any tone I want through my McCarty... just a matter of choosing the right effects and amp. I love that guitar... more than any of my others.
    Agreed +1 .
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    When I start having more money than I know what to do with, I'll get a HB II.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Very interesting to see the different opinions and how extreme they are. I will add... I don't hate PRS. I'd probably get one if It was the 5th or 6th electric guitar in my collection. For around $3000 though, there are so many insanely great custom guitars that'd I'd rather have: a pre-owned Gene Baker B3 or a new McInturff to name a few.

In terms of priority (and I think this could be pretty standard), this is what I'd own before I had room for a PRS. In no particular order...

Les Paul (or LP style guitar)
    Strat (not necessarily Fender)
    Tele (...)
    ES-335 style
    THIS SG http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/tadams001/Gear/whitesg.jpg
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

very cool indeed.
    my sg is still my go to guitar. love it.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    edit... in hindsight my comment didn't make PRS's look any less overpriced. they are great guitars and worth every penny spent.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    very cool indeed.
    my sg is still my go to guitar. love it.
    I got an epi SQ Custom that's white. The action's too low but it's such a gorgeous guitar

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/xtremehardy388/WhiteSG.jpg
    Can't edit it on the board for whatever reason but, SG*
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I played the PRS Custom 24 and I was extremely amazed. If I had the money I would have bought it on the spot. You know how they say "if it feels right and there is a connection there than buy it" that's the feeling I had when I played the PRS Custom 24. I still have to try out a tonne more guitars including Strats, Tele's, Les Paul's and more PRS's and then make my decision. The only thing right now that makes me hesitate towards getting a PRS is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. I believe it's worth all the $$$$$$$$$$$ but it will take maybe a few years to save that up.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Great guitars. You don't get soul out of any guitar if you aren't putting some soul into it! ;)
    I have an old 1990 EG-2 that was their knock off of a Strat, but with a humbucker single humbucker pickup arrangement and splitter switch and that guitar is STILL flawless after 18 years.
    Haha, and I played on stage a LOT with that one and never crippled me! :)

StuffnJunk - Yes, Go see Les Paul! He's almost 92 years old and still plays, and he'll sign your guitar and talk to you after the gig. A very nice man, and a comedian, and you'll be sitting there watching one of the great figures in guitar AND music history right before your eyes. We might be there on Monday, too!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/xtremehardy388/WhiteSG.jpg

that's a great pic :)