I am torn........

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I played an American Strat and an American Tele the other day and I absolutely love them both. Totally different sounding and feeling guitars but both are great. The both of them go for about a $1100 canadian which is a pretty good price I think. If I had the money I would get them both. By the end of christmas this year I am going to get one of them, I just don't know which one yet. I am going to play a whole bunch more and which ever one I fall in love with is the one I will buy. As of now I have no idea.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Jam10 wrote:
    I played an American Strat and an American Tele the other day and I absolutely love them both. Totally different sounding and feeling guitars but both are great. The both of them go for about a $1100 canadian which is a pretty good price I think. If I had the money I would get them both. By the end of christmas this year I am going to get one of them, I just don't know which one yet. I am going to play a whole bunch more and which ever one I fall in love with is the one I will buy. As of now I have to idea.
    Strat
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i love the sound of a tele but i've never really wangted one...always loved the strat more
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Personally, I'm a Stat guy, but you'll get TONS of other opinions.

Also, I'm quite enamoured with my Epi Sheraton lately, a semi hollow may be worth lookin at as well!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Another vote for the strat. I know I will be in the minority, but I find the tele thin sounding.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    I would go with the Strat, just because of the wider range of sounds you can get from it. If you get one with the S1 switch you get TWICE as many sounds as a regular Strat. I have an American Deluxe with that switch, and believe me, it rocks! So many tonal options in one guitar!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I love Teles. Elegant simplicity at its best and that twang can't be beat. But I don't think you'd go wrong with a Strat either.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    It seems more people are into the Strat. Ahhh decisions......decisions!
  • Screw it buy a P-bass. Just kidding.

Go with the Tele with a maple fretboard!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Ok,
    Shhhhh everybody, don't repeat what I
    m about to say! ;)

I think it's time for me to go into my stock of wood and solve this for once and for all.

The StratoTele!

Like a double neck SG but a tele neck and pickups and string through on one, and a Strat set up and tremolo on the other.

All you have to do is decide which one you want on top and I'll build you one. :D

Maybe the strap will be like one of those support vests they wear at Home Depot. :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Like a double neck SG but a tele neck and pickups and string through on one, and a Strat set up and tremolo on the other.

All you have to do is decide which one you want on top and I'll build you one. :D

Maybe the strap will be like one of those support vests they wear at Home Depot. :D

Bob, you're going to kill somebody one of these days... most likely yourself. Calm down! Next you'll suggest the double-necked Les Paul, one with humbuckers and one with P-90's, and the damn thing will weigh 60 lbs.

But you bring up an interesting point...

Have you thought about the Nashville Tele? There are a few players out there who've faced the same dilemma as you, hence the creation of the Nashville Tele.

Just one man's opinion, people...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Bob, you're going to kill somebody one of these days... most likely yourself. Calm down! Next you'll suggest the double-necked Les Paul, one with humbuckers and one with P-90's, and the damn thing will weigh 60 lbs.

Have you thought about the Nashville Tele? There are a few players out there who've faced the same dilemma as you, hence the creation of the Nashville Tele.

Nea the double neck Les Paul would at be chambered, so it would weigh in at a mere 53 lbs.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Bob, you're going to kill somebody one of these days... most likely yourself. Calm down! Next you'll suggest the double-necked Les Paul, one with humbuckers and one with P-90's, and the damn thing will weigh 60 lbs.

Haha!

Well, you know me. I love fiddling around with that stuff. I've been doing yoga for the last year or so, and my back is in tip top shape and ready to go! No chambering for me! :D

My brother plays guitar, too, and we had one band together for a while. I have a 7 foot long piece of musical grade mahogany that I wanted to put two necks on and make two guitars on one long piece of wood with two straps so my bro and I could both play on the same piece of wood. Sustain for days. ;)

Funny you mention the p-90/ humbucker thing. I just got my set of Seymour Duncan P-rails ready to go into an LP Classic as soon as the mailman comes today with my push pull pots from Stewmac, I'm going to try a Jimmy Page wiring scheme and see what happens, so that may save me from making a 60 pound guitar.

The Nashville is a cool concept. I like the springs and trem on a Strat for that boingy sound, though.
    Be kind, man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonJu6-XpWU
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
    Get a GitSteel like Junior Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonJu6-XpWU

Ha ha! That was crossing my mind when this came up. Junior Brown is awesome and makes those things himself and is FUN to see live.

Another way to solve this what guitar situation is to get both and learn to play like Stanley Jordan. Another person who makes me realize how, after all these years of playing guitar, I STILL suck! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baDM3_6w8-E&feature=related
    Be kind, man

Another way to solve this what guitar situation is to get both and learn to play like Stanley Jordan. Another person who makes me realize how, after all these years of playing guitar, I STILL suck! :D

Junior Brown is way beyond awesome. I just don't know the word for it.

Everyone should check out Junior Brown on album and live!!!

• westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Ha ha! That was crossing my mind when this came up. Junior Brown is awesome and makes those things himself and is FUN to see live.

That was cool! Just like playing piano, but using guitars.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

That was cool! Just like playing piano, but using guitars.

Ok, don't mind me, but you said piano, and when I'm on this board I think of one person when I see the word piano, and it's Justam. A wonderful person.
    And I just read your sig and I do believe I made the connection. :D

Really! Mr Justam? Tell her Bob said hello! :)
    Be kind, man

Really! Mr Justam? Tell her Bob said hello! :)

You win a GitSteel! Yes, Justam and I are married, and she is a wonderful person, thanks. Although I play piano too, she is the real pianist in the family. Nice to meet you. I will certainly tell her you said hello. :)
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Funny you mention the p-90/ humbucker thing. I just got my set of Seymour Duncan P-rails ready to go into an LP Classic as soon as the mailman comes today with my push pull pots from Stewmac, I'm going to try a Jimmy Page wiring scheme and see what happens, so that may save me from making a 60 pound guitar.

The Nashville is a cool concept. I like the springs and trem on a Strat for that boingy sound, though.

You definitely need to post a review of the P-rails, I am VERY curious about them. You going to wire it for both splits? Humbuckers, P-90's, and the rail pickups, all individually available?

I don't use tremolo on guitars, so I don't miss it. In fact, I'd love to find a good way to put a tune-o-matic and stop tail on every Fender I own, at least without shimming the neck pocket. As for the spank and sparkle, you can always replace the neck pickup with the Harmonic Design Mini-Strat: http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/custom_shop.html#Anchor-11481 Then again, what's the point of starting with a Tele and ending up with a Strat? (says the guy who once built a Strat into a Tele body) At least you'd have a Tele bridge pup... although I'd be tempted to replace that with a rails pup, either single or HB. So I'm not the guy to ask around here.

But seriously, reviews of the P-rails, please!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    when it comes down to it, just make sure you play the EXACT guitar you want. Its like driving a car or putting on a pair of jeans. I remember I played a taylor 314 one time, it was amazing so i thought about buying one, but everyone i played after it sucked so i ditched it.

oh and go with a strat. Far more tonal versatility.
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I am a Tele guy. but im not a lead player, usually open chord rythem. for me the Tele was a better sound than the Strat.

i like them both though.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    You definitely need to post a review of the P-rails, I am VERY curious about them. You going to wire it for both splits? Humbuckers, P-90's, and the rail pickups, all individually available?

I don't use tremolo on guitars, so I don't miss it. In fact, I'd love to find a good way to put a tune-o-matic and stop tail on every Fender I own, at least without shimming the neck pocket. As for the spank and sparkle, you can always replace the neck pickup with the Harmonic Design Mini-Strat: http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/custom_shop.html#Anchor-11481 Then again, what's the point of starting with a Tele and ending up with a Strat? (says the guy who once built a Strat into a Tele body) At least you'd have a Tele bridge pup... although I'd be tempted to replace that with a rails pup, either single or HB. So I'm not the guy to ask around here.

But seriously, reviews of the P-rails, please!

Well, I put'm in! I didn't do the Jimmy Page wiring yet, but I put the two push pull pots in and crammed wiring in like a mofo. I gotta go to work now but I write up the review later, but in one word? Amazing!
    Damn lot of wiring in tiny spaces but they worked the first time and I plugged it into my Vibro Champ and there are a lot of great sounds. It brought that guitar to life!
    Be kind, man

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    tele
    unlike many, i think the tele can be much more versitle than a strat
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I'm really diggin the V neck Deluxe Strat. The only thing I'm not too crazy about with the deluxe is the different color pickguards but I guess that's an easy fix.