Blues Artists

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Who are some blues guitar artists you guys recommend I get into. I want to really start focusing on the Blues a bit and I want to start doing my homework and listen to the greats.
How about Jazz? Who are great jazz guitar players that I can listen to?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Jam10 wrote:
    Who are some blues guitar artists you guys recommend I get into. I want to really start focusing on the Blues a bit and I want to start doing my homework and listen to the greats.
    How about Jazz? Who are great jazz guitar players that I can listen to?
    Out of Favor Boys. They're GREAT friends of mine but they're local Check out Howard and the White Boys, too, if you can. The Kalamazoo Blues Fest (where I live) is pretty well known in the blues world. Of course, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Charlie Parker, BB King, Joe Moon, and Ella Fitzgerald with Billie Holiday...yeah, those should start ya up.

As for Jazz, check out Louis Armstrong, Big momma Thorton, Duke Ellington, David Benoit, Dave Coz, any of the Marsalis (Branford being amazing), Sean "Thunder" Wallace, Dave Brubeck, Taj Mahal, Dixie Land Jass Band, The Menahan Street band(Jay-Z sampled "Make The Road By Walking" for "And The Winner Is"), Us3's Cantaloop is a modern Hip Hop/Jazz song and pretty famous.

I could go on and on because I LOVE Jazz and the Blues
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Well, there's a broad question! :D

Man, there are so many.
    For down and dirty soul filled minimalist blues. The man who shows you that you don't need no stinking high class bunch of gear to play the blues, John Lee Hooker. I always like his guitar style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOyj4ciJk34

Buddy Guy is amazing, too. Great showman, too. He's still out there and has a big smile on his face and rips into that Strat and Fender Bassmans.
    My favorite of his is a CD "Stone Crazy". That producer really caught Buddy's style. Listen to him and you'll know where Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn got their chops from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOyj4ciJk34

For impossible to reproduce syncopated acoustic guitar picking, Robert Johnson. I think he taught'm all.

Mike Bloomfield for good old simple Les Paul into a Twin Reverb and amazing fingers just drip guitar tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByN1oHmRVrU&feature=related

Ok, well, in the process of looking for Buddy Guy, this turned up.
    Jimi Hendrix. Nothing to do with anything, except he could play some blues!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByN1oHmRVrU&feature=related
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Mike Stern, Grant Green, Pat Martino, and Joe Pass (and Stanley Jordan's fun).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    MilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavisMilesDavis
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Howlin' Wolf w/ Hubert Sumlin
    Albert King
    Alvin Youngblood Hart
    North Mississippi Allstars
  • Junior Kimbrough, Blind Lemon Jefferson
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Back Door Slam
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks guys! Ill have a listen.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    What kind fo jazz are we talking about, and are we talking GUITAR PLAYERS???
    If I combine them all I like: Pat Metheny, Wes Montgomery, Scott Henderson,
    Mike Stern, Grant Green, Pat Martino, and Joe Pass (and Stanley Jordan's fun).

I forgot my jazz players in my post
    Joe Pass is one of my favorites, as well as Pat Martino. Local boys!
    I took a jazz guitar class at University of the Arts with Pat Martino and another amazing guitarist, Jimmy Bruno, as the teachers. The better part of 6 months having them show me how much I suck on guitar! :D
    Jam10, if you're local to Philly, you can go see Jimmy Bruno in small clubs in Philly. Something not to miss.

For some beautiful chord styling mixed with a fantastic voice, get these two CD's before they go out of print. Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass together:

http://www.amazon.com/Fitzgerald-Pass-Again-Ella-Joe-Pass/dp/B00004Z3ZK
    http://www.amazon.com/Sophisticated-Lady-Ella-Fitzgerald-Pass/dp/B00005LMJX/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_b

If you're local to New York City, go see Les Paul at the Iridium on any Monday night. He's 92 and it's like sitting and watching a piece of history before your eyes. He's a great jazz player. Not nearly as nimble as years ago, but,,, we'll even if you're NOT local to NYC, every guitar player should go see him. :cool:

John Scofield is great, too. He has a history of playing with a few people!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyHqJ4U1UE&feature=related
    For his more electric bebop style, try the CD "A Go Go" Him with Modeski Martin and Wood.

Or his minimalist style with "In a Silent Way" I love that album.
    Be kind, man

Howlin' Wolf w/ Hubert Sumlin
    Albert King
    Alvin Youngblood Hart
    North Mississippi Allstars
    HOW COULD I FORGET HOWLIN' WOLF!!! Thanks, man!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    to go on... John Lee Hooker, Clarence Gatemouth Brown....Robert Cray... SRV... Jeff Beck

I think you have to go early rock too at the same time... You need to get the Rolling Stones Exile on Main St and others and Led Zepplin One as well as say Cream; The Yardbirds; The Who etc to see how these guys inspired them and basically the covers they played. Look at some of the album credits for Elvis etc and check out some of the session players like those listed above. Les Paul is tremendous. Savoy Brown had some good stuff too.

I think the White Stripes and Black Keys and Black Crows are pretty solid modern artists to study in the faure as well.

Oh and Soul too. James Brown; Otis Redding; Booker T and the MG's

also hasn't been mentioned... but Oscar Peterson not blues persay by nature but it's in there.

It's not all strait blues, but you'll get a feel for the influence
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Otis Redding and Booker T are AMAZING (as well as SRV and some Skynnard stuff)

AND Average White Band...How could we all forget Miles Davis and John Coltrane? (It's spelled wrong, probably)
  • Wes Montgomery and John McLaughlin are my two favorite jazz guitarists.

John played on Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew". Pick that shit up pronto.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    more rock blues guys:

Jimi Hendrix

he has an album Jimi Hendrix the Blues....unreal, some of the the best electric blues out there. This is a must have for any blues fan. fucking 10 minutes of hear my train a coming. RED HOUSE BLUES...amazing

SRV(Stevie Ray Vaugh) excellent, maybe better than Jimi

Eric Clapton- this guy is so fucking good

Kenny Wayne Sheppard- A little more modern, has a nice yellow ledbetter ripoff song while we cry

Led Zep has some ungodly blues stuff- Since I've been loving you...mnnn

CCR has some amazing tunes too

Van Morrison's first band called "Them"- wicked stuff

Tracey Chapman

Bar Blues- George Thorogood- he has some good stuff

Old schoolers: John Lee Hooker, Otis Rush, Otis Redding, Albert King, Big Bill Broonzy, big Walter Horton Band, Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee, Buddy Guy, Eddie Reed, Etta James, Janis Joplin-shit she can wail, JB Hutto, Jesse Fuller, Mississippi John Hurt, Junior Wells, RAY CHARLES, Otis Spahn, Skip James,

watch the blues brothers you'll see a ton of these guys in it!

Jazz John Coltrane
    I forgot Robin Trower, need to have some Trower in your collection.

and Rory Gallagher.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    SRV(Stevie Ray Vaugh) excellent, maybe better than Jimi
    there's no maybe about it (when it comes to blues)

stevie ray vaughan is a legend, he is mike mccready's idol too, check out some of his stuff mate

he has awesome versions of little wing and voodoo chile (slight return) too

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
    Pappas wrote:
    there's no maybe about it (when it comes to blues)

stevie ray vaughan is a legend, he is mike mccready's idol too, check out some of his stuff mate

he has awesome versions of little wing and voodoo chile (slight return) too
    His version of Little Wing almost makes me cry...so amazing
    When I'm thinking blues guitarists, I think back to the older masters
    Well, we got this far and I forgot to bring da man, into it!
    Jimmy Reed.
    Old stuff that my uncle used to play. I love his laid back style and slightly off the beat playing. Sort of a precursor to Stevie Ray, Keith Richards, oh, and maybe about 200,000 other blues lovin' guitarists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65V0mWYl4PI&feature=related

Not long before he died. I love the low quality TV picture and sound. Looks like a color TV picture i they had'm in 1935 :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhRZha7ULWg&feature=related
    Be kind, man

Robert Johnson

Then go on to the next generation:

Muddy Waters
    Hubert Sumlin
    Bo Diddley (RIP)
    Little Walter (best Harp player I've ever heard)
    Howlin Wolf
    BB King

From there, take the advice of an earlier poster and get Exile on Main Street by the Stones, some very nice rock/blues on there. I'd even take it a step further and get the stones first two albums (US: England's Newest Hitmakers, and 12 x 5). There are some excellent blues covers on there and it is a nice place to see how blues initially began transferring over to Rock.

From the modern generation, check out:

Buddy Guy
    Eric Clapton
    MICK TAYLOR
    Jonny Lang

Discovering blues was one of the highlights of my musical experience, and best of luck to you.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    definately take a look at robert cray. he was the opener for a clapton show i was at never heard of him before than, now hes one of my favorite guitarists
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    Don't leave out Ronnie Wood! :D

Here's an experiment!

Check out a classic blues song and listen to all the different interpretations of it. To me, none of these are any better than each other. It's just the beauty of music, where different artists can put their own feeling into it.

Here's the classic Love in Vain by Robert Johnson:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRIgWqXI79Y

The 1971 version by Faces with Ronnie Wood. I love his slide tone!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y-zaUtVFt4&feature=related

the 1972 live version with Stones and Mick Taylor on slide.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVW94UWgBg&feature=related

Eric Clapton:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZCREueK6OI&feature=related

Keb Mo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrapUIhh9c&feature=related

Haha,,,, cool, and 20 some years later, Ronnie Wood and the Stones and acoustic slide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEq1Xho1h3Q
    Be kind, man
    I must tip my hat to you. I've always regarded Ronnie Wood's style as a very strong compliment to Keith and not necessarily solid by himself. Usually this has to do with him being drunker than Lindsey Lohan when he played. Watching him play with the Faces (which I have not listened to in a while) reminded me how good the man really is. I've seen the Stones live over 50 times, all with Ronnie Wood, and if there is another time, I will be giving a bit more time watching Ronnie work.

BTW, the "Life and Times of Love In Vain" is an excellent idea and I know I enjoyed it and hope everyone gives these versions a watch/listen.

Cheers.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
    Thanks, Voodoopug

I've seen the Stones quite a bit, too, over the years, starting in '69.
    I like watching Keith and Ronnie interact at a show. They have an amazing communications and if you listen, you can hear them changing and weaving with each other. When one of them screws up, they smile and the other picks up. Most people make jokes about how wrinkly they and don't realize that they are some of the masters of playing minimalist and not overplaying. If there're four notes in a chord, you'll see Ronnie play two or three notes and Keith play one or two, and they're definitely enjoying it!
    Last time I saw them, they did Love in Vain. Keith started out the song acoustic with Mick singing, no bass or drums.
    There's Ronnie kind of laughing and goofing off bringing a stool out on stage, then went back and brought out his lap steel and was clumsily sitting down and adjusting the stool, and the guitar, then the stool,,,,,, when the second verse came in and he played the slide,,,,
    Righteous tone that makes the hair stand up on my neck! :cool:

There must be more versions of Love in Vain out there, too. Not many notes to learn, but that's the beauty of the blues. It's all about the feeling and tone and technique!
    Be kind, man

I've seen the Stones quite a bit, too, over the years, starting in '69.
    I like watching Keith and Ronnie interact at a show. They have an amazing communications and if you listen, you can hear them changing and weaving with each other. When one of them screws up, they smile and the other picks up. Most people make jokes about how wrinkly they and don't realize that they are some of the masters of playing minimalist and not overplaying. If there're four notes in a chord, you'll see Ronnie play two or three notes and Keith play one or two, and they're definitely enjoying it!
    Last time I saw them, they did Love in Vain. Keith started out the song acoustic with Mick singing, no bass or drums.
    There's Ronnie kind of laughing and goofing off bringing a stool out on stage, then went back and brought out his lap steel and was clumsily sitting down and adjusting the stool, and the guitar, then the stool,,,,,, when the second verse came in and he played the slide,,,,
    Righteous tone that makes the hair stand up on my neck! :cool:

There must be more versions of Love in Vain out there, too. Not many notes to learn, but that's the beauty of the blues. It's all about the feeling and tone and technique!

Agreed.

I assume you probably seen them in 2002-2003 last then? They rarely played Love in Vain on the Bigger Bang tour. I have yet to find another band that plays in the "ancient form of weaving" style.

One of the reasons I enjoy PJ is that they keep their playing very straightforward. Their simplest songs are some of my favorites too. (See: Footsteps, Indifference, Why Go)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yml4V-zcf3A&feature=related

Dear God PLEASE let me own it like this one day on my guitar.

This is required viewing. Rory Gallagher going off!!!! notice the fluidity in the solos, not just your standard blues riffs, lot more in there at times.
  • voodoopug wrote:
    As far as blues goes, start at the beginning:

Robert Johnson

yeah, definitely...
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Some really good suggestions on here, but maybe too many to digest.

For old school Just go with the Kings- BB, Albert, Freddy.

Newer school go with SRV, Hendrix(Blues) and Clapton(From the cradle)

That's where I recommend starting.

check out SRV and Albert King live together in studio(Amazing!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBdJkTDgbw
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.