For you Strat Players.........

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Do you find that the 5 way switch position is in the way when your strumming chords? Say your in the neck/middle position do you find the position will change on you half way through a song because your hand accidently hit it? Maybe I'm just not used to playing Strats yet but I find the the switch to be a little in the way.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Not at all. Maybe since I learned on a strat I strum a bit differently than you do. Either way I think the switch is well placed since I can reach it to switch pickups, yet it's not really in the way.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    If I get a little too into and it and get carried away, yes :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I find that I'll hit the volume knob more. By the end of the song I'll be at half the volume I started at.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Jeremy and Evenflow (TEN SONGS!!) Both have it right with me. I usually am turning the guitar up in the middle of the song but that's very easy to adjust/fix. Just tighten the nut when you get the guitar. As for the 5-way, it's not a major problem..in fact, it helped me learn to switch pickups during a song from playing rhythm to lead.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I learned with a Strat, and I never hit either the volume or p/u switch, I think the switch is in the PERFECT place.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've had problems with it in the past, but I think I've learned to (mostly) avoid it. I've seen a lot of other players who have similar problems. For me, it's a lot easier to deal with a Les Paul or Tele pickup switch. I guess it's just something that you can either deal with, or not. Unfortunately, without some major body routing and modification, there's not much you can do to relocate the switch.

If you play in one pickup position ALL the time, you can always tape it into place...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks guys. I guess if I get a Strat it's just something I'll get used to.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You must be making some big arm sweeps to run into the pup selector.
    My KH-2 has the neck volume very close to the strings, and I find it gets turned down as I play.
    A wristier strumming motion will keep you away form the pup selector.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I don't have problems with it Jam10, but i do know of others who have had in the past.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    I hit mine every once in a while. I don't find it to be a huge problem. It did take a bit to get used to because all I played was a LP for so many years.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Never hit the 5-way switch. Like others, I occasionally hit the volume knob.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    If it's a problem and you don't use both tone knobs just move it. You can
    always get another pickguard and put the switch in another place. A 3-way
    switch (Gibson) or mini toggle On/On/On, or a 3-way Switchcraft slide switch
    (Mustang) works okay if you don't use pickup combinations like neck & middle.
    And remember the 5-way rotary switch (PRS) will also work fine.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs.html
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    If it's a problem and you don't use both tone knobs just move it. You can
    always get another pickguard and put the switch in another place. A 3-way
    switch (Gibson) or mini toggle On/On/On, or a 3-way Switchcraft slide switch
    (Mustang) works okay if you don't use pickup combinations like neck & middle.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs.html

That mustang selecter is the biggest problem for me
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    ianvomsaal wrote:

That's a pretty good idea...

Wire the first tone pot as a global tone, and then replace the second tone pot with a rotary 5-way. Keep the original Strat knob on there, keep the original 5-way switch (not hooked up to anything), and nobody's the wiser!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • jcmark611jcmark611 Posts: 93
    Are you guys doing windmills or something? If you are strumming that far you need to adjust how you are playing because that is just too hard.
  • it happened to me a few times when i first got my strat, i was used to a les paul, after about a month i got used to playin the strat and i think its in the perfect position especially when i have to change durin a song, when i first got my les paul i kept hitting the rythm/trble changer
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I think it's because I'm used to playing a Les Paul as well. I do think the 5 way selector switch is in a good location on the Strat it just takes some getting used to since the LP is totally different.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    never, al long as you're not gonna go townshend style and windmill a lot :)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I did that all the time. I dont see how, because I dont strum in a huge motion. But non the less, I still did it.

Now I just play my Duo-Sonic. :D Best guitar in the world
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."