Ibanez Guitars

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What are your thoughts on Ibanez guitars? They have the thinest necks I have ever played and that's what I like about them. I have small hands so it's good for fast playing and for wrapping my thumb around the low E string. Other wise I don't know too much about these guitars and their are a lot of knowledagble people on this forum so I would like your thoughts on Ibanez guitars. Are any Ibanez made in the US or Canada or just Korea? Do you guys like the sound of Ibanez? Does PJ play any Ibanez?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I am an Ibanez guy when I play electric. My main electric is a black S470, and my backup is a green S470. Plus I have an Ibanez bass I tool around with.

The S series is super fast, light, and has some great tones for everything from funk to metal. For the price, you can't beat them.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Jam10 wrote:
    What are your thoughts on Ibanez guitars? They have the thinest necks I have ever played and that's what I like about them. I have small hands so it's good for fast playing and for wrapping my thumb around the low E string. Other wise I don't know too much about these guitars and their are a lot of knowledagble people on this forum so I would like your thoughts on Ibanez guitars. Are any Ibanez made in the US or Canada or just Korea? Do you guys like the sound of Ibanez? Does PJ play any Ibanez?
    I've never been keen on the Ibanez Jem style guitars though I've never played one so perhaps I'd love playing one. Guess it comes down to not being into the type of music the guitars are generally associated with.

I believe that Mike's Flying V is an Ibanez.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Hebejebe wrote:

I believe that Mike's Flying V is an Ibanez.

I think he has a Gibson and an Ibanez Flying V.
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Drew263 wrote:
    I think he has a Gibson and an Ibanez Flying V.
    You are quite right.

http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all#guitars
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I've never really liked most Ibanez guitars - most feel chinsey and cheap - maybe it's the thin necks :)
    I've found that most Ibanez guitars seem to be geared more towards metal and thrash than rock and blues.
    However, I do have to say that one of my favorite guitars is a semi-hollow-body (335-style) Ibanez - love it.
    I special ordered it from Ibanez after the NAMM show in 2004 (not in the stores yet, not even in the computers).
    I ended up with one of the NAMM guitars (1 of 5) all fitted with American Hardware (unusual since Ibanez is metric).
    I had it completely setup and re-fretted with jumbo stainless steel frets, and I've changed out the pickups (twice).
    Now this thing has a really great feel and tone, and I like really digging in on the fatter neck - makes all the difference.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • rigneyclanrigneyclan Posts: 289
    Ibanez is one of my favorite guitar makers.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • Charger74Charger74 Posts: 59
    Ibanez IC400 'Iceman' is one hell of a guitar.
    9-6-98 KNOXVILLE, TN
    6-16-08 COLUMBIA, SC
    8-28-09 SAN FRANCISCO, CA
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Ibanez seems to be the model of choice for "technical" players, speed-metal and the like. Nothing wrong with that, just not my style.

I do agree with ianvomsaal, though, on the Ibanez ArtCore series of guitars. Their 335-style guitar (AS73, I believe?) is a really good value. Stock, they're pretty good, but with a pickup upgrade, they're as good as any Epi. The hardware is stable and decent quality, decent wood, very playable.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    yeah, it's kind of similar.
    Ibanez seems to be the model of choice for "technical" players, speed-metal and the like. Nothing wrong with that, just not my style.

I do agree with ianvomsaal, though, on the Ibanez ArtCore series of guitars. Their 335-style guitar (AS73, I believe?) is a really good value. Stock, they're pretty good, but with a pickup upgrade, they're as good as any Epi. The hardware is stable and decent quality, decent wood, very playable.
    The one I have (Artcore Custom) seems to be the predecessor to this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AS103-ARTCORE-Custom-Series-Semi-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=514208
    However, mine doesn't have a pickguard - It also has jumbo stainless steel frets, a bone nut, Super 58 pickups, violin amber burst, and
    was actually a limited (1 of 5) NAMM model fitted with American hardware. Ibanez is metric so American hardware can't be retrofitted
    without some effort (therefore American hardware is typically a custom factory thing - I guess why mine is limited to 1 of 5). My Ibanez
    is quite similar to the JSM100. This is the Gibson tailpiece that came on mine: http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/PTTP030-large.jpg
  • Elderly ManElderly Man Posts: 235
    i have an ibanez prestige rg 3120 and it fuckin rocks
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06