Favourite Band of All Time

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
This might be a dumb question considering this is a Pearl Jam forum but what is your favourite band of all time? Mine is definitely Pearl Jam. I thought I would ask this in the Musicians and Gearheads section since we are the ones on this forum who play music and have an appreciation for all musicians. To me Pearl Jam is just amazing. I love all their albums and they are unbelievable live.
Do you guys post on other Musicians and Gearheads forums or other band forums along with this forum?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• angryyoungmanangryyoungman Posts: 1,028
    my favorite band is pearl jam
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • My favourite band: Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell Experience lineup, 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNibM2H51vM
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    EASILY pearl jam .. easily
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Yuck Fuck and the Berries
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Pearl Jam for the overall win
    Pearl Jam for songwriting
    Phish for instrumental talent and improvisation

There was a time about a year ago when ability to jam and play spontaneously meant more to me than good songwriting. I've re-matured since then.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    Ya Pearl Jam for me...

I feel like I'm not contributing :p
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • pearl jam first bar none, then rage against the machine second.
    yes i aint.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Pearl Jam and then...

The Jousting Dinosaurs(My band...come on, guys..haha)
    Rage Against the Machine
    Dave Brubeck Quartet
    Incubus
    Black Sabbath
    Nirvana

They're all kinda tied for second..if we added solo artists, the list would be longer.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pearl Jam & Rush
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    pearl jam, without any doubt or hesitation
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    The Rolling Stones first
    Pearl Jam second

and then everything else is WAY down the list

but I also enjoy good authentic blues, and authentic country (See: Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, George Strait)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    pearl jam easily my favorite, although i find myself going in phases as to how much i listen to/play their tunes.

massive NIN, RATM, The T Hip, and powderfinger nut too.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Band wise, I think I like Screaming Tree the most. They just have an awesome sound.
    Second would probably be The Wailers.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,267
    THE WHO

PJ

KOL ...but these guys have become my fav now
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Pearl Jam and Radiohead are tied for #1 in my heart
  • canadajammercanadajammer Posts: 263
    PJ

Then tied in 2nd: Neil Young, Supertramp, The Band, The Who
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Hendrix and Zeppelin are tied for #1. I agree with Finsbury that the Mitchell/Cox lineup was Hendrix's best band.

After that, the top ten would include RHCP, Jane's Addiction, Dinosaur Jr., PJ, Allman Brothers, Funkadelic (with Eddie Hazel on guitar), John Coltrane's classic quartet (with Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner, and Jimmy Garrison), and... let's say Cream.

Aside from Hendrix and Zeppelin, those are in no particular order and subject to change from day to day.
  • BinFrog wrote:
    Pearl Jam & Rush

oh man i forgot about rush. classic. i just saw them on sunday too.
    yes i aint.
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    Duh! Pearl Jam!

But also The Offspring and Alice in Chains.
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    pearl jam is my favorite!

also love the Foo Fighters & Radiohead ALOT
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I don't have an absolute favorite - I like a ton of different bands/artists.
    It varies from week to week, month to month, and year to year.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    metallica
    pearl jam
    pink floyd

locked in a dead heat, though that order is probably what the judges will eventually decide. i find great similarity between the three. some peeps agree with that, many don't.
    james and ed are more alike than not, stone and james are the 2 best riffmeisters of the modern gen and vie for best of all time.
    kirk and mike are both hendrix men and i luv em both.
    pj song structure allows more improv for mike, but kirk's composed solos take off in all directions and tell more of a story for me.
    gilmour is in a class of his own in every respect.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Well I've been listening to PJ longer than any other band, so they probably get number one by default. But Bruce Springsteen might be tied... I really can't decide between the two.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Beatles

Pearl Jam

Boston

Rush

Aerosmith
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Pearl Jam for the overall win
    Pearl Jam for songwriting
    Phish for instrumental talent and improvisation

There was a time about a year ago when ability to jam and play spontaneously meant more to me than good songwriting. I've re-matured since then.
    me too!!

pearl jam have been my favorite band since 1992.....then in the late 90's i got way into phish, and for a while PJ and phish were tied for the title of my favorite band

phish offered me something PJ didn't at that time - the ability to see them live, multiple times!!!!

i didn't get to see PJ until 1998.....i saw phish 35 times between 1995 and 2004

but then i got tired of phish, and i guess they got tired of themselves too

now phish are done for and pearl jam are the ones i get to see live multiple times every 2 years or so......what a turn of events
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Yeh there are a tonne of great amazing artists and bands but Pearl Jam is and always will be my favourite. Everytime I listen to a different band I always find myself popping a Pearl jam CD in the car. I just love Ed's voice, Stone's riffs, Mike's solos, Jeff's baselines and Matt on the drums. They all seem to get along and gel really well.
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I've had a bunch of favorite bands in my life. Beginning with my first album, it went something like this:

AC/DC
    Def Leppard
    Rush
    Pink Floyd
    Nirvana
    Pearl Jam

I suppose PJ have had the longest run at the top. Go ahead and have your fun with my choice of Def Leppard (mid-80s). I am not an animal.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Impossible for me to say. Fortunately I don't have to pick a favorite because I can love'm all! :D

But today, with a Red Stripe and the steamy heat and the good mood of which I'm in and my friend from Jamaica is over there in her dreadlocks and singing at the top of her lungs on the patio to the tunes of:

Bob Marley and the Wailers. :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I list these on the basis that I can pop in pretty much any Pearl Jam album and any Foo Fighters album and not hit skip; can't do that with any other artists.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Hendrix and Zeppelin are tied for #1. I agree with Finsbury that the Mitchell/Cox lineup was Hendrix's best band.

After that, the top ten would include RHCP, Jane's Addiction, Dinosaur Jr., PJ, Allman Brothers, Funkadelic (with Eddie Hazel on guitar), John Coltrane's classic quartet (with Elvin Jones, McCoy Tyner, and Jimmy Garrison), and... let's say Cream.

Aside from Hendrix and Zeppelin, those are in no particular order and subject to change from day to day.
    I'm diggin' the Coltrane Classic!!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy