Heat Wave

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys I was just wondering if I have anything to worry about. I went away for a few days and didn't put on my air conditioner because it wasn't hot when I left but while I was gone we had a huge, huge heat wave here in Canada. It got up to about 30 - 35 C (about 90 F) and I had my gear (guitar, amp and pedals) upstairs in my room. When I got home the house was extremely hot and I immediately put on the central air to cool the house down. Can gear withstand this kind of heat and humidity for a short period of time or do you think some damage occured? Everything seems to be in good shape.
I always take really good care of my gear, that's why this bothers me so much.

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Jam10 wrote:
    Hey guys I was just wondering if I have anything to worry about. I went away for a few days and didn't put on my air conditioner because it wasn't hot when I left but while I was gone we had a huge, huge heat wave here in Canada. It got up to about 30 - 35 C (about 90 F) and I had my gear (guitar, amp and pedals) upstairs in my room. When I got home the house was extremely hot and I immediately put on the central air to cool the house down. Can gear withstand this kind of heat and humidity for a short period of time or do you think some damage occured? Everything seems to be in good shape.
    I always take really good care of my gear, that's why this bothers me so much.

Thanks
    I don't have air conditioning and it's hot out here but you should be okay.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Don't worry.
    I can leave a guitar in my car during summer, and it will be 60 C inside there and it is fine. Now, if it had hide glue, I think it would fall to pieces.
    Solid state stuff like pedals are OK too. car radios don't stop working jst cos it gets hot enough to crack a windscreen.
    Guys will play gigs here in 35 C.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    You're probably alright.
    If the house went up to 90 degrees and then gradually came down to normal, then I wouldn't worry.
    The enemy of electronic and musical equipment isn't necessarily high temperature or humidity, but quick change! You can mess up a guitar pretty badly by taking it from a cold room and putting it in a hot car trunk, or vice versa. That quick change causes differential expansion and contraction between different materials, like the fretboard and neck wood, or the laminates or the finish. (Oh man, a flashback to physics coefficient of expansion and contraction. :D )
    As long as you keep a guitar in a case and try to slow the changes in temp,,,, and NOT keep the guitar in the the trunk in the summer, you should be fine.
    Also humidify your acoustics in the winter, AND your hollowbodies if they're out a lot, if you live in a cold climate where you heat your house in the winter.

Bottom line? Have a beer and relax! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Jam10 wrote:
    Thanks guys. If you haven't noticed yet I tend to worry a lot but I feel better after reading these replies. Thanks again!

Edited in the interest of world peace.
    Not to be a smarmy git, but I was thinking that there has been a few panic stricken threads lately on different issues.

Tip in life..................

Don't worry about things that are beyond your control. Especially if it's already happened. I pretty much gauruntee that if something really bad does happen to you, it won't be any of the things you sweated about anyway.
    Just ask Bob, he'll tell ya !!!
    Better safe than sorry...I'd rather ask than not. You never know if can control a situation for sure unless you ask if there's anything you can do. It's better to come out here and ask than not ask at all and then find out later you could have done something.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Better safe than sorry...I'd rather ask than not. You never know if can control a situation for sure unless you ask if there's anything you can do. It's better to come out here and ask than not ask at all and then find out later you could have done something.

OK, I'll edit that post, since nerves seem a bit raw here of late

Adios amigos !!
    OK, I'll edit that post, since nerves seem a bit raw here of late

Adios amigos !!
    I wasn't getting mad or anything...I wasn't trying to silence...I'm just giving my opinion...cool out, man! It's all light hearted(or at least I am) here, haha :)