Fretboard

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was watching some youtube videos and it looks like all the members of Pearl Jam use Rosewood fretboards while Hendrix and Clapton use Maple fretboards. It looked like Stevie Ray Vaughn and John mayer use rosewood fretboards as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    Mike has a sunburst strat with both rosewood fretboard, and one with maple. Though the rosewood one is the old beat up one you see the most.

McCready's 3 tone sunburst, rosewood fretboard is the whole reason I bought that exact color scheme myself when I got my '06 American Strat. So gorgeous.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Mike has a sunburst strat with both rosewood fretboard, and one with maple. Though the rosewood one is the old beat up one you see the most.

McCready's 3 tone sunburst, rosewood fretboard is the whole reason I bought that exact color scheme myself when I got my '06 American Strat. So gorgeous.
    It was Mccready and mr. Frusciante that made me get that color scheme, in an '06 American Strat!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    It was Mccready and mr. Frusciante that made me get that color scheme, in an '06 American Strat!

haha, yeah I think we've been over this before. So gorgeous. Through my blues junior its like pure heaven, really.

It's been like a year since I got mine and I love it more each day.

How you and your strat gettin along?
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Sounds like you guys really love your Strats. I think I'm leaning more and more towards a Strat over a Tele for right now. I'm just torn on which Strat to get. Their are tonnes of different models out there and it's not like I can try them all because each store only carries the Standard, the Highway 1 and sometimes the Deluxe if your lucky. I have an interest in some of the artist series but no stores carry them around here and I won't buy a guitar unless I play it and love it.
  • I've strictly been a rosewood man on guitar and bass. I think I'm going to start adding maple to my collection. Still want a Reissue '75 jazz bass with a maple fretboard.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Jam10 wrote:
    Sounds like you guys really love your Strats. I think I'm leaning more and more towards a Strat over a Tele for right now. I'm just torn on which Strat to get. Their are tonnes of different models out there and it's not like I can try them all because each store only carries the Standard, the Highway 1 and sometimes the Deluxe if your lucky. I have an interest in some of the artist series but no stores carry them around here and I won't buy a guitar unless I play it and love it.

I'm a strat man myself, all my favorite guitarists play strats. McCready, Stevie Ray, Jimi, Clapton.

But ultimately you have to buy the guitar that "fits" you. When I place my strat up on my lap--or strap if I'm standing--it just feels like an old pair of jeans. And I'm absolutely in love with the 4th and 5th pickup positions on a strat, pure tonal heaven.

I have an American Standard, and honestly, I couldn't have asked for anything more. I would go try out a few of those at your local shop, see if any call your name.

good luck and rock on
    haha, yeah I think we've been over this before. So gorgeous. Through my blues junior its like pure heaven, really.

It's been like a year since I got mine and I love it more each day.

How you and your strat gettin along?
    Me and my strat are getting along just great! I just bought an Epi Sheration to sorta add in a different sound, but the Strat is definitley my go-to guitar. I play a lot of blues, and the thing is beautiful. It's just THAT tone, that is pure perfection.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    or strap if I'm standing--it just feels like an old pair of jeans.
    I agree with this statement COMPLETLY!
    I honestly prefer the American series to the American Deluxe. The Roadhouse is a hell of a guitar as well!

I played probably 15 different Strats in my quest for THE strat, artist series, reissues, deluxes, american deluxes, other american series. The one I bought was definitley THE one. I played it two months before I bought it, and nothing I played after that sounded better. I got lucky. I know it sounds cheesy, but I truly think a guitar chooses you. Maybe not in the literal sense, but when you play THE one, you know.
  • jcmark611jcmark611 Posts: 93
    The really great things about Strats are, if you don't like 'em the way they are, you can always upgrade 'em. Lets say you buy a MIM Strat and you like the neck but hate the pups, you can just change out the pups. Find a Strat with a killer body but don't care for the neck, you can buy a replacement neck right down to the specs you want.

As for Rosewood vs. Maple; Rosewood has a darker, warmer tone. Most of Hendrix's studio albums were recorded on a rosewood. Maple has a brighter tone. Clapton and David Gilmour are big fans of Maple necks. SRV used a maple neck guitar to record "Lenny". In the end, just play a few through your amp and see what you like the best.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Jam10 wrote:

I picked up a Carvin s-style guitar today, and I was really impressed.
    It really sang in my hands, and a good price too. Really nice finish, nice cosmetics. Tall frets and 22 of them too.
    It was a stop-tail, which probably appealed to me too, better connection with the tone-wood. Really nice dense, dark fingerboard, almost looked ebony, but was probably Madagascan rosewood, I think.
    So, I'm suggesting, there are other great makes out there other than Fender for this style of guitar. I have not picked up a Fender that I liked as much.
    There are probably Custom Shop versions as nice, but they are 2 times the price.
    I'm going back to play it soon, as I didn't have time today.
    I have a tax cheque coming soon, and I'm thinking maybe a new acoustic with a pup, maybe a 12 string, but probably not, or maybe an S-style guitar, to scratch the Gilmour/Mike/Jimi itch.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Thanks again guys. What is an American Series Strat? Is that just the regular Standard American Strat? Why do you prefer it over the Deluxe Series?
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    I picked up a Carvin s-style guitar today, and I was really impressed.
    It really sang in my hands, and a good price too. Really nice finish, nice cosmetics. Tall frets and 22 of them too.
    It was a stop-tail, which probably appealed to me too, better connection with the tone-wood. Really nice dense, dark fingerboard, almost looked ebony, but was probably Madagascan rosewood, I think.
    So, I'm suggesting, there are other great makes out there other than Fender for this style of guitar. I have not picked up a Fender that I liked as much.
    There are probably Custom Shop versions as nice, but they are 2 times the price.
    I'm going back to play it soon, as I didn't have time today.
    I have a tax cheque coming soon, and I'm thinking maybe a new acoustic with a pup, maybe a 12 string, but probably not, or maybe an S-style guitar, to scratch the Gilmour/Mike/Jimi itch.

I will second this. I have an American Texas Special strat. I also have and ESP Vintage Plus with the David Gilmour pickup set. I love the strat, but frankly, I think the ESP is a better made guitar. It does the strat better than Fender. Feel, body, finish, playability, intonation, sound are better than the Fender. The difference, however, is similar to the difference between a standard Corvette and a Corvette that has been hot rodded by Baldwin Motors. They are both still great.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
    Jam10 wrote:
    Thanks again guys. What is an American Series Strat? Is that just the regular Standard American Strat? Why do you prefer it over the Deluxe Series?

The American series is indeed the American Standard strat. I can speak for anyone else, but I do prefer it over the deluxe. The deluxe series features noiseless pickups, which for some people is a big deal I guess.

I just wanted the classic American Standard, no bells and whistles. Just my five pickups positions, and my fingers will do the rest. And the standards are about $250 cheaper.
    Thanks StickmanJam! I"ll just have to play a whole bunch of different Strats. Another Strat that's really appealing is either the Hot Rod 57 or the Vintage 57 Strat!
  • jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    rosewood is gonna give you a softer tone, where as maple will brighten it up quite a bit.
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08