Ear Monitors

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys I'm new at this gigging thing and playing in a band so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but.......what are ear monitors and how do they work?

Thanks guys!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Jam10 wrote:
    Hey guys I'm new at this gigging thing and playing in a band so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but.......what are ear monitors and how do they work?

Thanks guys!

In Ear Monitors are basically ear bud headphones with good sound rejection. The idea is to lower on stage volume and give you a custom monitor mix with what you want to hear in it and none of what you don't want to hear. Using these give you more freedom on stage to move around and not have to stay in your monitor sweet spot.

They work just like regular monitor wedges work... your mix is just in headphones instead of on the floor.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Usually, you can see Jeff or Mike having "in ear systems" on in recent show pictures. It's not a stupid question though, I had the same one when I first heard of it.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    In Ear Monitor (IEM) - They work great sometimes, sometimes not, it all depends on the venue and the system.
    Think of them as a stage monitor in your ears - However you'll need to mic everyone on stage so you can hear them.
    This is the Shure P6 system I use for my bigger venues: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-PSM600-P6TRE1-Wireless-System?sku=270146
    Just be aware that they do take some getting use to - it may take at least 4 or 5 gigs before you start feeling
    comfortable - Shure makes all kinds of earphone drivers - you'll just need to find what works best for you.
    I still like their cheapest E-1's - and you can get custom molds made for them that fit into your ears like a hearing aide.
    Like these: http://www.ultimateears.com/resource-guide/img/custom-in-ears.jpg - I think most Pro's get these molds made as well.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    This is an example of technical difficulties with IEM's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivc7t09-5SM
    Watch Bono closely in the first 30 seconds and you'll see him actually take his IEM's out and tuck them into his jacket.
    He did the rest of the song with stage monitors - such a pro - most people would fumble with their IEM's going haywire.
    And when he walks down the isle he can't hear the band (look how far away he is from the band - he can't really hear
    the band because everything’s a delayed echo) - it's why he starts talking more than singing in that part (what he's
    really hearing isn't syncing up with the actual music - if he sang with what he was hearing he'd be behind the band).
    Watch how he runs back up there when it starts back up again so he's synced up with them - great live performers!
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    This is an example of technical difficulties with IEM's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivc7t09-5SM
    Watch Bono closely in the first 30 seconds and you'll see him actually take his EIM's out and tuck them into his jacket.
    He did the rest of the song with stage monitors - such a pro - most people would fumble with their EIM's going haywire.
    great live performers!

That is exactly the case! I was at that Grammy show, and ,,,, after they played, there really was no other reason to be at that show. Blew the place away.
    You'll see him doing that in a big stadium when he gets way far away from the band, too. He is so good at it that he can actually sing out of synch with the band to match up the timing when things mess up with the ear monitors. There are no better users of ear monitors than Bono and Jagger. They're pros and they're all over the place and it's loud and that ain't easy!

Your best bet is to at least get used to playing on stage with others and concentrate on positioning your amp, or monitors so you can hear yourself and the rest of the band.
    I played with all kinds of bands over the years and I found that getting the kick and snare drums, bass, and some vocals in the monitors was best to get oriented.
    If this is your first band, then you may want to practice playing from your monitors, because that also takes some getting used to.
    (if you have monitors! ) :)
    I used ear monitors later on and they do take getting used to, and are great things on bigger stages.
    You also have to have a sound tech who knows how to work them.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    You'll see him doing that in a big stadium when he gets way far away from the band, too. He is so good at it that he can actually sing out of synch with the band to match up the timing when things mess up with the ear monitors. There are no better users of ear monitors than Bono and Jagger. They're pros and they're all over the place and it's loud and that ain't easy!

Your best bet is to at least get used to playing on stage with others and concentrate on positioning your amp, or monitors so you can hear yourself and the rest of the band.
    I played with all kinds of bands over the years and I found that getting the kick and snare drums, bass, and some vocals in the monitors was best to get oriented.
    If this is your first band, then you may want to practice playing from your monitors, because that also takes some getting used to.
    (if you have monitors! ) :)
    I used ear monitors later on and they do take getting used to, and are great things on bigger stages.
    You also have to have a sound tech who knows how to work them.
    Yeah, I think U2 are one of the best live bands performing today.
    Like their music or not, their shows always seem to "sound" great.
    Some bands play great but their singers just don't sound as good
    live as they do on the CD - Bono's voice is so consistent - seems
    to always sound great live (I think he's just a talented musician).
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Yeah, I think U2 are one of the best live bands performing today.
    Like their music or not, their shows always seem to "sound" great.
    Some bands play great but their singers just don't sound as good
    live as they do on the CD - Bono's voice is so consistent - seems
    to always sound great live (I think he's just a talented musician).

Total pros! I agree that they are one of the great live bands.
    Part of it also probably is that they've been the same 4 for the whole career, and only 4 in the band so it's easier to do sound for them, too! They've grown up together on stage and deal with whatever comes their way and give it all during a show.
    Actually, the Edge is a strong vocalist, too. He can even fill in the blanks if Bono's vocals drop out.

Another one is Bruce Springsteen. Man, his mike or monitor goes out or he flubs a guitar part, he just nods to acknowledge it, laughs and moves on.
    We were at Lincoln Field in Philly and there were about 3 gazillion people there, and he lost his bearings, I think in his earpiece, and laughed,,,,, did a little goofy dance in the middle of a song while the band was rocking,,,,, the sound must have come back and he nodded and picked right up and the crowd loved him for it!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart