Narrowed down my options......

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
After doing a tonne of research on the Fender website and reading lot's of reviews, I have finally narrowed down my options for a Strat. I haven't played them all yet because stores don't carry all the models but after reading the specs and the reviews I have narrowed down to (in no particular)

The American Standard Strat
The soft "v" shape neck American Deluxe Strat (I really like that neck)
The Mark Knopfler Strat

Decisions......Decisions.......I'm not sure which one I want yet. All 3 of them have things that I really like about them.

I'm sure a lot of people here have the American Standard but does anybody have the Deluxe or the Mark Knopfler and what do you think of them?

Please Help!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Just finished reading your post in the musicians friend thread. Sounds like you are really keen on the V neck deluxe strat. You could still buy that one, ditch the butterscotch color pickguard, (cause you clearly don't like that), replace it with the whitey, and it would still be cheaper than the knofler one, and you'll have a beautiful guitar.

If the only thing you don't like about the v neck is the pickguard, then it's easy to fix.

Now that you've narrowed it down, hit the guitar stores close to you and test them out. It's the only way. You'll know which one, when you're holding that baby in your arms and playing it.

Good luck with it!
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks Pj Gurl, you always have great advice!
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Replacing the pickguard is really no big deal if you think about it. Get the body color and neck that you want, and the new pickguard is like what, $25 bucks extra? That's nothing compared to the guitar itself. For example, my next guitar is probably the American Standard Strat in Charcoal Frost with a maple neck:

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0110402769_xl.jpg

And to cap it off, I'm gonna replace the pickup covers, knobs and 5-way cap to black, and make the pickguard a black pearloid. I might also replace the pickups to SCN, not sure about that yet. I would just get an American Deluxe but they don't offer this color that I want. So with the upgrades, it's probably about the same price I just have to install the stuff myself. But I'll get what I want. And you should too. After all, if you're going to drop serious money (> $1000) on a guitar, shouldn't you get what you want????
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    I have an American Deluxe, and it's my favorite guitar. It just plays and sounds so good! If you're siding on the American, just spend a few more bucks and go for the Deluxe.
    That's what I'm thinking.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I'd say go with that Vintage Hot Rod '57 Strat you asked about: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=292653
    It's a nice playing American Strat with all the features you like - Soft V Neck, Great Red Color, Nitro Finish, etc . . .
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    kitfoo wrote:
    I have an American Deluxe, and it's my favorite guitar. It just plays and sounds so good! If you're siding on the American, just spend a few more bucks and go for the Deluxe.
    I prefer the American, to me it just sounded better (believe me, I was in Jam10's spot a few months ago!)

Jam, go out, play them, don't listen to what we say when it comes to opinions. Close your eyes, play the two, pick the one that sounds and feels the best. When I opened my eyes, it was the American Series.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    That's a good point keeponrockin. That's exactly what I'm going to do.....close my eyes have my buddy pass me each guitar on at a time and whichever one feels and sounds best will be the one I'll get. I didn't even think about closing my eyes. That's probably the best way to decide. That way I won't get caught up on all the specs and prices.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Of course, pick the color, etc, you want, but closing your eyes helps.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V