Pedals

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am looking for a couple of good effects pedals. Can anybody recommend some. Something with really good overdrive.

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Well, as probably every member on this forum will say-for overdrive, start off with the TS-9 and the BOSS BD-2. Even better-get them modded by Keeley. I have the BD-2 and it's not moded but it's pretty versatile-more than the TS-9 in my opinion. If you're looking for effects, the Wah and Rotovibe are pretty good. Maybe a delay(I have a Digitech X-Series Digi-Delay). A lot of people will reccomend the BOSS DD-6 or DD-3 but I don't like them that much.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for the advice. I have heard about the TS - 9 and the Boss BD - 2. What does it mean to get them Modded by Keeley?
    In Given To Fly, what effect does Mike use? Maybe a phaser, and if so which one?

Thanks
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    HAve a look at the ZVEX Box of Rock, it's got awesome MArshall tone built in.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Jam10 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I have heard about the TS - 9 and the Boss BD - 2. What does it mean to get them Modded by Keeley?
    In Given To Fly, what effect does Mike use? Maybe a phaser, and if so which one?

Thanks

get yourself an ibanez TS-9 (tubescreamer) and an MXR phase 90 and you're good to go an a gateway into pedals.
    How do I get the TS-9 and the BD-2 modded by Keeley?
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I have a TS9 and I have had a BD2 in the past. I personally wouldn't recommend either one of them. the TS9 is ok, but it's best use is for a volume boost moreso than the actual overdrive. I don't care for it's overdrive and I've found that it knobs don't really do much, it's either full on or barely on. not saying that it or the BD2 are bad pedals, but I think they're overrated and overpriced. I personally like Boss' $39 pedal better than either one of them (I can't remember if it's the DS or SD, I can't keep them separated but it's the overdrive one, not the distortion one). but like I said, I DO like the TS9 for the boost.

also, I have the Boss OS2 which I like better than either one, but the overdrive is better than the distortion and before I'd shell out the money for a new one, I'd get the $39 one.

I also have a Metal Muff on the way (at the recommendation of others on here) so I'll let you know. I guess it's depending on what you're looking to play. my amp overdrive, TS9, and/or OS2 can get the PJ/AIC and classic rock sounds that I like. hopefully the metal muff will get the metal sound I'm after.

also, you might want to find a good chorus or delay pedal.
    How about the TS-10? I have read great things about that pedal!
    Jam10 wrote:
    How do I get the TS-9 and the BD-2 modded by Keeley?

wouldn't worry about it initially but...

robertkeeley.com
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Check out this page:
    http://www.amptone.com/truesecretofamptone.htm

It's got a lot of cool things about how to get a good tone.

Also check out the main page for more info about pedals and amps and so on:
    http://www.amptone.com/index.html
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You can buy them modded brand new from Keeley, or send your pedal to him to have modded.
    Here you go, just scroll down of each page:
    Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus
    Keeley BD-2 PHAT Mod
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    Thanks man that helps out a lot! Do you have the Keeley Modded TS-9 and Boss BD-2 and if so what do you think of them? Are they really worth the money? Another question, have you heard of the TS-10? I have read about it and it sounds really good.
  • A lot of people will reccomend the BOSS DD-6 or DD-3 but I don't like them that much.
    And though it's all subjective, he's the only person I've ever heard say a bad thing about them. I own a DD-6 and I think it's about as perfect as a digital delay can be.

But yeah.. I recommend a tubescreamer.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Jam10 wrote:
    Another question, have you heard of the TS-10? I have read about it and it sounds really good.
    I own one of those too!

It's exactly like the ts-9 but it has a new knob that allows you to boost the mids in 4 different degrees... classic ts-9.. then heavier and heavier... really I only ever use the classic but it's nice to have the option. It occasionally comes in handy.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Wait, there's a TS-10? Is it different than the TS-9DX? What the hell? Does everyone know about this pedal except me?

As for Given To Fly, the Phase 90 is good and versatile. You might wanna go with a rotovibe because you can get some phaser sounds out of that in an effects loop, PLUS, you have a vibe/chorus pedal and a vibrato pedal. The DD-6 and DD-3 are good pedals, I'm just not as fond of them as many others. One pedal that is overlooked though is a tuner pedal. Man, I wish I had a good one. They're good to have when playing so you don't have to unplug and tune. I recommend getting one eventually.

Try the TS-9 or BD-2 BEFORE you get them modded. Modding them is good if you don't like the initial sound. I love my BD-2 stock. If you want a cheap tubescreamer, the TS-5 is good but don't use it as a hardcore stomp box. It's reliable is you're just messing around but on the road, it probably wouldn't hold up. I love mine but I am careful with it on the road.
    I like both of my BD-2 and BD-2 PHAT Mod - I switch them out on my Pedal Board every month or so.
    Same with both my TS-9's - the TS9 is a little more trebly and thin sounding than the BD-2 (BD-2 is my personal favorite).
    The BD-2 PHAT Mod is more touch sensitive, so it's real nice if you use your guitars volume control.
    On a side note, I usually hate all of Digitech's pedals, but their click here: BAD MONKEY isn't bad if looking
    for a cheaper tube type OD - It actually has more control (High and Low) than most OD pedals.
    I also really like the Boss DD-6 delay (a lot of control).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'm currently boasting a TS9DX, the tubescreamer with 4 knobs. It's got the regular three and then a mode knob for regular, +, hot, or turbo, all with varying degrees of boost/eq built in. I like when I can use it, it's unfortunate because like my amp, it only sounds good with high volume and I rarely get a chance to "crank it" these days.

Next OD will probably a Fulltone OCD.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Next OD will probably a Fulltone OCD.
    +1
    I've been thinking about an OCD for a bit now - seems like a great pedal.
    Did you hear the live Robin Trower tune on the FullTone site.
    He's does some tasty solos, starts out will his volume rolled back, and then about 2:20 into the song he starts
    turning it up a bit - at about 5:05 he starts in again, and then he really has at it for about 5-minutes.
    Robin rarely ever turns the pedal off "doing the entire range of sounds with the guitar's volume knob".
    Take a listen, it gives you a really nice feel for what the pedal can do:
    http://www.fulltone.com/audio/Trower/RT_Daydream_15.mp3
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • EvilTBEvilTB Posts: 10
    I think it depends on your budget and how long you have been playing. I wasted quite a bit of money on effects I seldom used over the fifteen years I sporadically played guitar. I recently bought a new Digitech RP 250 for $180.00 it is a multi effects processor. Multi-effects processors, especially cheaper models like this have many weaknesses with regards to flexibility, and most older models have poor tone. I find however that this one sounds decent, is reasonably tweakable, looks to be reliable as it is made mostly of metal and it is relatively easy to use. If you don't already have a unit like this I recommend one if you are still starting out so you can learn which effects do what. Knowing this you can then so you can decide which individual analog effects you want. Had I what effects I'd use starting out I would have saved money.

I still want to buy analog pedals, but I'll keep the RP 250 for things like its tuner, effects I seldom use, and for its digital delay which is better then my Boss DD-3. (It is also cheaper than the DD-3 back when it first came out!) It also makes a half-decent direct recording device. It has good overdrive models but the amp models are only adequate direct. It is small and has true bypass so it can integrate okay with normal pedals on a pedal board. It has USB output so it is very useful for recording into a computer.

It is also a useful practice tool it has a simple drum machine and a metronome. Zoom offers a unit with similar features, but I don't know if it sounds as good. I wish they offered $200.00 multi-effects units with features like that when I started playing, my rhythm and timing sucked for years! I don't think anybody else on this forum would recommend an effects processor like this, as it is a sort of jack-of-all trades master of none deal.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I like both of my BD-2 and BD-2 PHAT Mod - I switch them out on my Pedal Board every month or so.
    Same with both my TS-9's - the TS9 is a little more trebly and thin sounding than the BD-2 (BD-2 is my personal favorite).
    The BD-2 PHAT Mod is more touch sensitive, so it's real nice if you use your guitars volume control.

i just acquired an analogman TS-9/808 and what a shock it is compared to the keeley BD-2. the biggest difference being the total lack of bass response in the TS-9. but it's all colours in the palette so i think i'll hold on to it. though i've tried many tubescreamers, i've never actually owned one until now. i'd probably like his silver 808 better but then again, i'd probably not be totally happy until it sounded like the BD-2.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    EvilTB wrote:
    I think it depends on your budget and how long you have been playing. I wasted quite a bit of money on effects I seldom used over the fifteen years I sporadically played guitar. I recently bought a new Digitech RP 250 for $180.00 it is a multi effects processor. Multi-effects processors, especially cheaper models like this have many weaknesses with regards to flexibility, and most older models have poor tone. I find however that this one sounds decent, is reasonably tweakable, looks to be reliable as it is made mostly of metal and it is relatively easy to use. If you don't already have a unit like this I recommend one if you are still starting out so you can learn which effects do what. Knowing this you can then so you can decide which individual analog effects you want. Had I what effects I'd use starting out I would have saved money.

I still want to buy analog pedals, but I'll keep the RP 250 for things like its tuner, effects I seldom use, and for its digital delay which is better then my Boss DD-3. (It is also cheaper than the DD-3 back when it first came out!) It also makes a half-decent direct recording device. It has good overdrive models but the amp models are only adequate direct. It is small and has true bypass so it can integrate okay with normal pedals on a pedal board. It has USB output so it is very useful for recording into a computer.

It is also a useful practice tool it has a simple drum machine and a metronome. Zoom offers a unit with similar features, but I don't know if it sounds as good. I wish they offered $200.00 multi-effects units with features like that when I started playing, my rhythm and timing sucked for years! I don't think anybody else on this forum would recommend an effects processor like this, as it is a sort of jack-of-all trades master of none deal.
    I'm sorry, I just wouldn't reccomend a multi effect.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I'm sorry, I just wouldn't reccomend a multi effect.

+1
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I dunno, I started out with a multi-effect unit, a BOSS ME-33, and they are damn handy for beginners to get the hang of shit. They pack a lot of bang for the buck, and while most peeps outgrow them in time, they give you the chance to muck around with a lot of stuff and learn about a lot of different effects.
    Having built in tuners, phrase trainers, drum beats, expression pedal etc is all good. I don't use it much now, but if I really want a phaser or ring modulator, it's there.

For my young mate, I bought him a Fender GDEC as his first amp, he is in a dorm, and it is perfect. Lots of stuff, economical, small and handy, not too loud. He loves it !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I don't know much about pedals, but one thing I've learned, at least I think, is that you get what you pay for. I've always bought the cheapest one I could find, and am usually disappointed, meanwhile a friend of mine spends quite a bit more, and I love his. The worst thing I ever used was a "Dan O Wah" a friend of mine sold it to me for $10 when he bought a new Wah Wah pedal, and I think I overpaid. It's a real piece, and very cheesy looking, but that doesn't matter as much as the crappy sound. I also bought a DOD FX69 Grunge Pedal, it's not too bad, but most of the time the sound just comes out like screaming distortion, you can't hear much tone. I guess the only pedal I have that is halway decent is a DOD SD-1 Super Overdrive. It's probably not as cool as some of these pedals others have mentioned, but it gets the job done for me, and was very reasonably priced.