Wah Pedal

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Which wah pedal do you guys recommend. The 535 Crybaby or just the plain Crybaby. I don't need anything too fancy just a good wah pedal! Are their any other wah pedals you guys recommend?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Crybabies are pretty overrated, IMO.

Try the Vox V847, or the Vox Clyde McCoy.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    i love my budwah
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dunlop builds all the voxes and budwah anyway.

the vox mccoy and the budwah have true bypass which is a bonus for wahs in general.

i'm going to buy a 535Q soon though because i like the tweakability. i've generally had voxes in the past.

may go with a BYOC wah kit because they're highly adjustable too.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I like my Morley, cos it has a wee photo-electric cell to switch on and off. Not beign a good tap dancer, I find just being able to stand on it when I want good, then it springs back up and turns itself off. Easy !!

Wah is much more about how YOU use it, rather than what it is in itself.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ya, you don't just 'get' wahs, it takes time.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Ya, you don't just 'get' wahs, it takes time.

And then ya gotta learn how to co-ordinate teh wah with teh frantic pace of the solo ya playing, which is probably why they invented "auto-wah".

Wah is subtle, takes a lot of time to get the best outa them.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I'm a big fan of my Morley. I have heard that Crybaby doesn't make the best, and people always want to rock on my pedal instead.
    Stunned by my own reflection
    It's looking back, sees me too clearly
    And I swore I'd never go there again
    Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Can you leave the Morley in the 'cocked wah' or not?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Yes you can leave it cocked

the morley is my favourite too, cos they are so big you could beat someone to a pulp with it!

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    exhausted wrote:
    dunlop builds all the voxes and budwah anyway.

the vox mccoy and the budwah have true bypass which is a bonus for wahs in general.

i'm going to buy a 535Q soon though because i like the tweakability. i've generally had voxes in the past.

may go with a BYOC wah kit because they're highly adjustable too.

I have had a lot of wah pedals including a Dunlop rack wah, and of the standard pedals, I also like the 535Q. You can get very throaty vowel sounds out of it.

The best custom wah pedal, in my opinion, is by Geoffrey Teese. Check out his site. He has a lot of good information on the history of wah pedals:

http://www.realmccoycustom.com/

All the best,

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • To me they are all different, depends on what you want. I love the Vox my self
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I love my crybaby, its the only pedal i always use when i plug my guitar in even if i dont actually use it, i just like to have it there all the time and the sound doesnt compare to any other wah iv used, maybe its just me but i pick all the small things on the cry baby that makes it better than any others
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Fulltone wahs also have a great sound to them but like the Teese, they're damn expensive. I think I too might spring for a BYOC wah in the future, after a bunch of other stuff gets taken care of.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Novawind wrote:
    Fulltone wahs also have a great sound to them but like the Teese, they're damn expensive. I think I too might spring for a BYOC wah in the future, after a bunch of other stuff gets taken care of.

Forgot about the Fulltone wahs. I'll second the recommendation.

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    We can all reccomend wahs but all wahs are gonna sound different. Trust me. You can alo mod them (especially cry babies). Do your best to try them. The style of the pedal and your foot are gonna make or break the usefulness of the pedal.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy