Musicians Friend

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just checking out some Strats on Musicians Friend and I noticed for the American Deluxe Strat they had a color that I really liked. It was the candy tangerine, kind of like a nice red color but I have never seen that color available on the Fender website and I have looked numerous times for a color like that. They don't even have that color listed anywhere. How does Musicians Friend have that color if Fender doesn't even carry it? It was an 08 as well. I don't understand. Anybody know how that's possible?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    you have to click on one of the guitars, then you have the option for the color chart. is that what you mean?

http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    #82 is the candy tangerine
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Just so you know, thats not a red color at all. Its more orange then anything, the color chart on Fenders site isn't very good.

Trust me, I sell guitars for a living!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I have really grown to dislike Musician's Friend. They sent me damaged goods on TWO separate products and then took down my negative comments when I tried to let others know about it. I guess the price is right, but c'mon. I've gotten to a point where I'd rather pay a little extra to a local shop in order to make sure what I'm getting is in good shape.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Just so you know, thats not a red color at all. Its more orange then anything, the color chart on Fenders site isn't very good.

Trust me, I sell guitars for a living!

I was going to say, That color looks no where near as red as it does on the website. It's a very deep orange
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks. Good thing you guys told me it's more of an orange color. I don't really want an orange color, I'd prefer red! It's looks red on the website but I guess I should have known considering the color is called candy tangerine.

I really like the color Blizzard Pearl as well but I have only seen pictures on the Fender website. Has anybody seen this color in person and what do you think of it?
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    There are two shades of gray for current production Fender models. One is the blizzard pearl, which is a much lighter gray. The other is charcoal frost, which is a deeper, kind of ashy color. Both finishes look nice, I guess it's more of do you want a lighter or darker finish.

FWIW, if you're looking for a red finish, take a look at Candy Cola. Nice, sparkling red finish.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    DeLukin wrote:
    I have really grown to dislike Musician's Friend. They sent me damaged goods on TWO separate products and then took down my negative comments when I tried to let others know about it. I guess the price is right, but c'mon. I've gotten to a point where I'd rather pay a little extra to a local shop in order to make sure what I'm getting is in good shape.

It's better to support your local music shop anyway. I've purchased a couple of guitars from MF and I've been happy with them overall, but I'm always nervous because you don't have that "try before you buy" experience that you get at a local music shop. Of course, you can always send it back free of charge from MF.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    edpearson wrote:
    It's better to support your local music shop anyway. I've purchased a couple of guitars from MF and I've been happy with them overall, but I'm always nervous because you don't have that "try before you buy" experience that you get at a local music shop. Of course, you can always send it back free of charge from MF.
    I like the service I get at my local shop. It's DEFINITLEY worth the extra money I pay.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • edpearson wrote:

I agree that you should support your local music shop, and I DEFINITELY agree with the 'try before you buy' experience. Although most electric guitars of a single model sound very similar (if not identical), it's always a good idea to purchase an acoustic guitar that you really like after you've played it. I would never recommend playing an acoustic guitar at your local store and buying it from MF or another online vendor. It just doesn't sound the same. That being said, MF does have a return guarantee, so at the end of the day you can just return a shoddy guitar or one that you just don't like.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    If you want a really nice Strat, then definitley look at Carvins.
    A shop near me has a really nice stop-tail CArvin strat in black, with a dark gray marble look pickguard, really , really nice.
    It has an extra switch with different options, similar to teh S1 swirchuig in Fenders, I think.

The return guarantee means of course, that you may well be sent stuff that someone else has returned.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Jam10 wrote:
    Thanks. Good thing you guys told me it's more of an orange color. I don't really want an orange color, I'd prefer red! It's looks red on the website but I guess I should have known considering the color is called candy tangerine.

I think you may enjoy the color Fiesta Red (#40 on the Fender website color chart). It's a bright red with pastel undertones and a *hint* of orange. Dakota Red (#54 on the chart) is a nice red tone as well, a little deeper, warmer, less bright. Torino Red (#58) is kind of a candy color, or maybe a little cartoony... it's hard to describe. Often seen on Broncos, Musicmasters, etc (the "cheap" Fenders). Candy Apple Red (#9) is more of the Crayola red.

I sometimes wish that Fender had swatches like you can get from Home Depot... or a tone book like Pantone Color Guides...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I'm a fan of Candy Apple Red, but that's just me.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I really like the Candy Apple Red as well. I was looking at the V neck deluxe strat with maple fretboard and I really like the candy apple red color but I'm not a big fan of the butterscotch color pickguard. I prefer the standard white color. It seems that the v neck deluxe's only come with a maple neck for some reason. I wish Fender would let you choose any color for any model and any pickguard with any neck. That's too bad it's not like that.
    Jam10 wrote:
    I really like the Candy Apple Red as well. I was looking at the V neck deluxe strat with maple fretboard and I really like the candy apple red color but I'm not a big fan of the butterscotch color pickguard. I prefer the standard white color. It seems that the v neck deluxe's only come with a maple neck for some reason. I wish Fender would let you choose any color for any model and any pickguard with any neck. That's too bad it's not like that.
    Getting the pickgaurd replaced isn't hard at all!
    I know it's not hard replacing the pickguard but I just wanted all original parts.
    Jam10 wrote:
    I know it's not hard replacing the pickguard but I just wanted all original parts.
    Keep the pickgaurd stashed somewhere!
    Good point!