Need help for a very, very clean tone

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have the YCV 50 Blue Traynor tube amp and I was wondering if anybody here has any advice on how to get a very clean and crisp sound out of the amp. Almost like an acoustic sound without buying the Boss AC 3. I messed around with the EQ's but I couldn't get the sound I was looking for. I am playing a Les Paul Studio so maybe that has something to do with it. Les Paul's are generally chunkier sounding. The band that I'm currently trying out for wants a real clean sounding guitar for some of the songs. Where should I have my Bass, Treble, and Middle settings at? Should I use my master volume control or my pre amp volume control for my over all volume? Is anybody familiar with this amp? Is this the right amp or is it just difficult to get a crisp clean sound out of a Les Paul? Maybe a Strat would be better suited for cleaner songs? What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    i'm not familiar with this amp but i can tell you that you won't get an acoustic sound with a les paul. the humbuckers are too thick sounding and the mahogany body doesn't help. the closest you'll get is if you keep your preamp vol down, raise your master volume, start with the EQ at 5 and slowly raise the mids and treble.

a strat would give you a better shot at this sound. or check out piezo pickups.
    but nothing will replace an acoustic, not even simulators like the AC-3

good luck!
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Turn the bass control down, roll the mids back to around 10 o clock and put the treble to about 3 oclock and pull that back if it's too bright. You're going to have to bring the bass back to say 9 O clock. You get quite a bit of power from those pickups and it can make it muddy.

Then run the Pre amp volume down lower to around 8 or 9 O clock and crank up the master volume to 12 Oclock (1/2 volume' nominal) or so. See if that helps.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I love my tube hybrid for this problem. If you're live and you have the all-tube amp on for a while, it'll eventually be overdriven. I LOVE that tone but it's not too good for acoustic. Also, I agree that an LP isn't going to help you. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE BEHRINGER MODELAR! It's the worst pedal in the world! I sold mine and I'm happy it has left my baord.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for the advice guys. There is some great info here that will help me!