May 24th

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
On May 24th I have my guitar recital that my instructor has every year and this year I'm playing Yellow Ledbetter. I have worked really hard on this song so hopefully I do well. I love this song and Mike plays with so much emotion, I hope to do the same. Do you guys think I should play this song exactly the same as on Lost Dogs or do you think I should have some fun with it and improvise on certain parts? I want to sound as much like the recording as possible but also sound like I'm the one playing it. Wish me luck, 2 weeks from today is the big day!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    Jam10 wrote:
    On May 24th I have my guitar recital that my instructor has every year and this year I'm playing Yellow Ledbetter. I have worked really hard on this song so hopefully I do well. I love this song and Mike plays with so much emotion, I hope to do the same. Do you guys think I should play this song exactly the same as on Lost Dogs or do you think I should have some fun with it and improvise on certain parts? I want to sound as much like the recording as possible but also sound like I'm the one playing it. Wish me luck, 2 weeks from today is the big day!

Good luck, have some fun with it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Jam10 wrote:
    Sounds like you already answered your own question (underlined above) . . .
    I say why try to sound like any recording - you'll never have the same feeling or emotion
    that Mike had when he played it, so why try
    (plus sounding the same is kind of boring).
    Why not write you own tune and play that for the recital - Why try to showcase someone
    else's playing - Recitals are about "you" as a player, not Pearl Jam or Mike McCready.
    I agree with "Stone Is God" - if you're gonna play a cover, at least "have some fun with it".
    Make it your own, not a carbon copy of someone else - you're not Mike, don't try to be.

- Ian

*BTW, who's gonna sing the tune - the song's a bit vacant without Ed or someone singing.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:
    That's easy to answer, have fun with it and make it your own. I wish you the best of luck, i'm sure you will do a great job :)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Great song choice, and a great one to have some fun with. Even I can can improv through the changes on that. Plus, it's not super well known with an iconic solo, so no-one is going to pick you for changing it.
    I doubt Mike has ever it played the same way twice.
    I really love the LAMSG version, playing along with the delay. I did a bit of that on a clip I put up a while ago, great fun.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks guys, I think I will have some fun with it and improvise!
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    nice man! good luck!

next saturday, i have this show/recital too for this band assembly thing i'm in. it's is my singing debut! singing and playing indifference! we changed it up a lot .. i prefer the original .. but we wanted to experiment. we're also playing zeppelin's achilles last stand and queens of the stone age's 3's and 7's. not singing those 2 tho .. my guitar parts are too involved.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I ALWAYS play that song with my band. I add different lyrics and improv on stuff even adding tags. Just get into it the best you can and have fun with it!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Lamsg?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Dogman3 wrote:
    Lamsg?

Live at Chinese Food Additive, I mean Living Around Mean Sonnova Gun, oops, possibly Live at Madison Square Garden, a DVD from a coupla years ago.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • jcmark611jcmark611 Posts: 93
    Don't forget to launch into Little Wing when you are done.