Keeley Modded TS-9 and BD-2

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just received my Keeley Modded Ibanez TS-9 and Boss BD-2 pedals, great pedals by the way. My question is.....does anybody have any opinions on a great sounding setting? Particularly the Pearl Jam sound?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't have the pedals but I've heard the having the level at about noon or 1, the Drive cranked to the max, and the tone between 11 and 1 can give some good "TEN" sounds...(that's for the TS-9)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Volume level depends how you run them (effects loop or in front of the amp).

For the TS9: I typically run the gain at about 2:30 or 3:00 and the tone all the way up (I like to boost the MIDS).

BD2: I typically run the gain around 1:30 or 2:00 and the tone at 12:00 (I just use my guitar's volume to clean it up).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    What do you mean when you say "Effects Loop" or "In front of the amp"? Sorry to ask a silly question, I'm just new to effects pedals.
    Do you use both the TS-9 and the BD-2 together (at the same time) or play them separate?
    Thanks!
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Some amps (not all) have effects loops, which means that you can plug your guitar directly into your amp's input, and then attach a 1/4" cable to the effects send/out jack, which attaches to your effects chain. The last effect's output connects by 1/4" cable to the effects return/in jack, which then goes to the power amp and your amp's speaker.

Not all amps have this feature, and to be honest, many people who have the option prefer to use it sparingly. Overdrives and distortions, like your TS9 and BD2, work better in front of the amp, or simply guitar->pedals->amp input. Other pedals, like chorus, delay, etc. work better in the effects loop, and some people attach them differently. It all comes down to what sounds good to you. Experiment with your pedals, attach them different ways and try a whole bunch of settings out. That's half the fun.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Yeah, I used my DS-1, ube Screamer, and Flender through the Effects loop once. After regaining conciousness from the terrible sound it made, I decided only to use the Delay, chorus, phaser, and flange through it.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Jam10 wrote:
    What do you mean when you say "Effects Loop" or "In front of the amp"? Sorry to ask a silly question, I'm just new to effects pedals.
    Nova said it - there's an FX loop on most of your better amps.
    I use to run my OD pedals before the amp, and my moduations through the loop, but I got tired
    of all the cables and multiple layered volumes (I had to use 4 cables, and each pedals volume reacted differently).
    Jam10 wrote:
    Do you use both the TS-9 and the BD-2 together (at the same time) or play them separate? Thanks!
    No I don't use them together, I use them seperately.
    I guess you could - though I wouldn't think they'd sound that good together.
    However, I've used the BD-2 and the TS-9 in conjunction with another OD pedal (basially as a solo boost after one of the pedals).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • You can use the BD2 as a boost to the tube screamer. If you use a delay in the FX loop, it won't switch what it delays when you change channels.
  • i've just recieved my maxon od9 (which is superb), and i have already learned how to use this as either a smooth overdrive pedal on its own or still with the same settings kick in my laney vc30's gain channel and i can get a fantastic boost solo/heavy but sweet sound. im still playing with it as i only got it two hours ago!

i have the laney gain on full and the maxon's overdrive level flatlined and the tone on 2.30 ish, i'm quite amazed what abit of boost via this box can give my set up!.

:)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Jam10 wrote:
    I just received my Keeley Modded Ibanez TS-9 and Boss BD-2 pedals, great pedals by the way. My question is.....does anybody have any opinions on a great sounding setting? Particularly the Pearl Jam sound?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

through what amp? how close to overdriven is the amp on it's own.

i'll rarely put the gain past 10 o'clock on any pedal. past that point they all start to sound really false. the level setting depends on the pedal. keeley put tons of extra volume into the BD-2 so i leave it around 11. i assume the TS-9 is similar. tone to taste but usually 10 or 11 o'clock.

let the amp do the grunt work and let the pedal just give it that extra push. a bunch of gain in the pedal itself usually doesn't give the best results in my opinion.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for the advice!